Deschutes Redside or Steelhead

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by stklein.issaquah, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Thanks, Bruce. I laid it on the ice shelf for the photo - and to keep it cool after I bonked it. Winter has it's advantages.

Pat Lat likes this.
  2. Seth Tyson

Seth Tyson Active Member

Look at those colors! good catch!

3. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

^that guys a nasty old human who's not even worth listening to, I'll never understand why we think every comment someone makes is worth reading.

4. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

5. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Rob, please note that that fish is halfway submerged, even though I'm pretty sure in oregon it is not illegal to remove a steelhead from the water for a pic like it is here in WA. I believe that is from the influence of sparky's law which was not around in the 70's/80's, good for the OP for treating that fish respectfully. Also, with advances in camera technology the picture could be snapped in a few seconds while the fish recovered, which most likely took a moment.
    Sorry that we're not spoiled with so many steelhead in the river that we can refer to the fish with spawning color as "nasty".

ohhh how things have changed...for the better

I'm a fan of symmetry

Irafly likes this.
  6. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Get off my lawn!

Go Sox,
    cds

David Dalan and Pat Lat like this.
  7. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Pat, I miss you dude. let's go fishing. Let's go swing some glow in the dark intruders for steelhead somewhere at 3 in the morning

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

8. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

I'd love to, but I'm too afraid somwone would tell us we were doing it wrong, as usual

Travis Bille likes this.
  9. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

How anyone can look at the fish in this thread and not see how beautiful they are is completely beyond me.

10. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

11. David Dalan

Fish are food. And I realize we'll get nowhere in this chat. So I will stop contributing to this tail chasing conversation.

12. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

13. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Irony... You can take your own advice and STFU anytime;)

Pat Lat and cabezon like this.
  14. David Dalan

No blood, no foul. You're OK in my book.

15. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Rob, don’t judge a horse or steelhead by its colors. If today, you caught a dime bright steelhead out in the ocean would you consider it a "nasty old steelhead"? If not, why? If that fish enters its home river next month, it is currently just as many months away from spawning as are the summer 'redband' steelhead in the Columbia system. Redbands did not get their name from having a dime bright appearance. The coloration of Columbia basin redband trout/steelhead does not indicate that it is an old boot, past its prime, nasty or any such thing as these fish are months away from spawning and are not sexually mature yet. The red coloration is an example of their secondary sex characteristics, a brilliant display of colors much like a peacock's plumage and like in birds, the males are often the most colorful. While it is primarily used to attract a mate, I see the pronounced red to redish-purple coloration in many Columbia Basin redband trout/steelhead year round, even in tiny fish, though in some individuals, again mainly males, it will become even more pronounced before spawning in late spring. In other individuals, I see this red coloration all year, be it a small creek tiny redband, an August steelhead or September resident trout. Heck, in the Upper Columbia, I see it in cutthroat too. Maybe they have redband blood in them or maybe it is a life strategy or maybe they want to look pretty like the rainbows, but I have caught cutthroat year-round with beautiful red to purple coloration, especially on their gill plates and bellies. None of this red coloration means that any of these fish are “nasty old fish” that are past their prime or just off redds or old boots. It is just the color they come in; like I said, redband trout did not get their name for having a silvery body.

As for the dark color of their bodies, trout have a remarkable ability to adapt their coloration to their surroundings. Where I fish in the UC basin, the vast majority of trout I catch - both cutthroat, resident rainbow and steelhead and bull trout tend to have a darker body than fish from other basins, especially coastal basins. However, this coloration more closely matches the rivers in which they live. A dime bright fish that reflects the colors of the ocean would be easy prey for the osprey and eagles just as a brilliantly colored redband would be easy prey as it cruises the ocean shoreline. The brightest fish I catch where I live seem to be hatchery steelhead under 15" that have residualized or haven't out-migrated yet – and I often wonder how much out-of-basin genetics they have. In any case, in general, many of the trout - cutthroat, bull, rainbow/steelhead - tend to have a darker appearance all year round than what you might be used to seeing.

For example, here is a Westslope Cutthroat caught in August, a dark fish for sure:

Aug 09.jpg

Here's an example of a cut with lots of color that was caught in summer:

red cutt.jpg

And, here is an example of a steelhead caught in October that is 6-7 months away from spawning so it is hardly 'past prime':

Oct summer run.jpg

As I said, do not judge a horse or trout by its color.

plaegreid, triploidjunkie and Pat Lat like this.