Distortion of Fly Fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by GAT, Nov 8, 2013.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I like mystery stories where you have a possibility of figuring it out. That's why I hated the old Perry Mason series. In the last 3 minutes of the show, they'd bring in a character who did the deed and you'd never seen the guy before. Kind'a hard to figure out who did it when it was someone out of the blue.

That's why I like NCIS... you sometimes have a chance of figuring it out.

Krusty likes this.
  2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Yes.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Yes, just like my fishing yesterday. I never figured it out. The mystery wasn't solved until the Director brought in two feisty characters (whom I hadn't seen before) during the final moments. Nothing but a cheap trick!

4. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Fashion statements made on fishable waters are always important.
    I would be surprised if you are allowed back on that body of water without some sort of reprisal by the stockers. You could be snubbed.

5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Gene,

Yes, they got that show all screwed up. The English don't wear their fishing vests all the time. They wear their tweed vests and jackets all the time, even when fishing. And there is nothing unusual in the club members being more outraged that a member fished a weighted fly than that he was murdered. In fact, he wasn't murdered by any definition of fly fishing in the UK. It was merely an act of "club cleansing" as no fishing club of character and breeding would have as a member any bastard who would stoop to the depths (pun intended) of fishing a weighted fly. The bastard probably cast upstream too, to give his weighted creation added depth. And if he'd also been using a strike indicator, he would have been drawn and quartered and not just mercifly killed.

England is the cultural home of fly fishing (although history places its origins in Asia), and the Brits take it very seriously. However, the offender is entitled to a trial and a jury of his peers before being offed. Lack of attention to crucial details is a major problem with TV shows.

Sg

GAT and triploidjunkie like this.
  6. Olive bugger

OK, so I am confused. If I sojourn to England, what would be the correct attire? I certainly would not want to show up on the bank in improper uniform. A tweed jacket and vest would be mandatory, I would guess, but then again, I just don't know. Waders would be out of the question, no doubt.

7. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Right now I'm feeling glad that I didn't chuck my brown tweed sports coat along with my business suit. I did save one tie, for emergencies.

8. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Home Page:
    I thought this thread was going to be about current films depicting the popular (seemingly) vision of fly fishing being some sort of X-stream sport.

9. Olive bugger

Apparently, dressing for the chalkstreams is an X-stream sport, Paul.

Do it wrong and you could wind up in the bushes without breath.

10. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Do they burn his flyfishing club tats off....or just break his meershaum pipe?

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

O.B.,

Since you don't know, you must not be of good character or breeding. But then, with your preocupation with Duvall, that's easily understood. A good Harris tweed in either herringbone or houndstooth weave is perfectly acceptable fishing attire. Waders, back in the days of Hodgeman and Marathon, were considered a sign of poor breeding. Now that high end breathable waders cost cost nearly a fortnight's pay, they have become acceptable on certain stretches of the freestone streams, but never, NEVER, on a spring creek or stream. Should you land a day on the Test (not likely, as even God can't get a day on the Test), don't let your upstream, drag free, dry fly drift downstream of your stand and begin to swing and drag, else your Ghillie will use that shepard's crook you were wondering why he carried, to grab you by the neck and jerk you off the water. You would forfeit any remaining time with no refund.

Fly fishing is serious shit in England, which is why we can deduce that the makers of the TV show made numerous errors.

Paul,

'Tis odd, I agree. But among the high brow Brits, fly fishing along the manicured banks of private water, with a Ghillie to carry all your gear and tend to your every need, and a resting shed at every other pool along the beat, with its wood stove or fireplace and good stores of Scotch, ice, and good glasses, it is considered "high" sport, if not X-stream sport. This is about the most extreme thing some of these gents ever do, other than shooting at driven game and birds. It's a tough life to endure such comfort.

Krusty,

If you have to ask, you don't need to know.

Sg

wadin' boot, astrofisher, dfl and 3 others like this.
  12. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Yeah...you're right. My ancestors got run out of every decent country in Europe....probably for poaching, or shagging the Ghillie's wife.

13. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

This thread has been totally redeemed! It could even get good!

14. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

My wife loves British TV series as well, but I don't believe she (we) have seen this one -- will have to check it out. A few we've watched have included a short segment of fly fishing, so it would stand to reason that the sport still has roots with the current generation...either that or the young producers are compelled to insert these scenes because they are in the old literature from which their story is based.

The few fishing scenes I have seen in the series are pretty awful in that the casting is horrid and in one, I swore I saw the divers snorkel who was pulling on the line :D. I suppose hiring a casting instructor in attempt to help the actor look somewhat capable of the act is beyond the budget.

15. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Wait until SyFy channel debuts one of their cheesy original movies ....TroutZilla or PerchaConda perhaps. Then you're gonna see some 'artistic license' taken!

Freestone likes this.