dragoon creek

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by FFK, Aug 17, 2014.

1. FFK

FFK Active Member

heading off on a very short little two day camping/two day fishing trip to dragoon creek.
    I'm heading there on reports of brook trout being there. i don't know why but, Ive always wanted to catch a brook trout(mostly cause they're gorgeous imo). when it comes to trout I've only caught rainbows/cuts/and browns on a fly, so it would be nice to add them to the list.

so im looking on tips from anyone who's fished the area, or even has tips on what brookies like. should i bring nymphs,leech patterns, hoppers or what?

thanks
    -Erik

FinLuver and Kyle Smith like this.
  2. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

I haven't fished Dragoon for many years, though I fished it a great deal as a kid (my grandfather had land surrounding a stretch of it. Even back then it was pretty pounded by cattle).

Brookies hit the same flies other trout do. It's the height of grasshopper season and I suspect a fat brookie wouldn't be able to resist a well placed mimic.

Have fun!

FFK likes this.
  3. JasonJeeper

JasonJeeper New Member

I'm heading up there in the morning for a quick little weekend camping trip with the wife. Gonna check out the creek and see what I can find. I'll hopefully have pic's to show in a day or two. Wish me luck.

4. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

You'll need a bunch of luck just to find enough water in it to fish this year.

5. JasonJeeper

JasonJeeper New Member

Yeah had the same trouble at the creek that feeds into liberty lake on the 4th weekend but I was able to find some holes that had some 6 to 8 inch Brookies in them. Lots of sneaking and had to break out my little ice rod due to the thick cover.

6. JasonJeeper

JasonJeeper New Member

Well there are fish here. I'm gonna start with this, if you plan to fish up here your gonna want a short say 4 to 5 foot ultra lite set up and a fly rod. Be prepared for some rough walking, a big bull moose, and a lot of fishing pressure in the park stretch. I got stuck behind to other guys that did really well in front of me. I did manage to hook a couple of browns and one brookie. But the pike minnows are thick and very aggressive, caught lots of them. The two guys up stream from me caught about 20 browns and just over a dozen brooks. Water level is good, Temps are very cool, most of the fish were in the poold at bends and there are sever areas were man made rock dams going across have shallow pools that were holding fish as well. I got the fish I caught out of fast shallow rip sections, went up stream and tossed my little spinner back into the fast water and simply held it there and bam. I would suggest doing the park stretch during mid week and working other road crossing points down stream on weekends. This is a very impressive creek and with recent weather trends it's doing just fine. Yeah and I did say bull moose, I walked up on him while he was beded down, luckily he went one a way and I went the other.... I think I was faster, LOL.

FinLuver likes this.
  7. generic

generic Active Member

Is that the park just off the highway?

How big were the pike minnows?

8. JasonJeeper

JasonJeeper New Member

Yes at the park. As for the pike minnows the several I caught were 4 to 5 inches.

Jason

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

A spinning rod. This is a FLY FISHING FORUM. All that fish here use Fly Rods. A spinning rod, some peoples kids.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Krusty likes this.
  10. JasonJeeper

JasonJeeper New Member

I did have my fly rod with and did use it but in some stretches the creek is only 2 to 3 feet wide and heavily over grown. I go in prepared so I can fish the whole way. :)

Krusty likes this.
  11. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Were you catchin them brown trout by the Deer Park sewage plant?

12. fivefish

fivefish Active Member

They make fly rods in different sizes too. Get an ultralight fly rod and learn to roll cast and bow and arrow cast. You'll be amazed at what you can accomplish in tight quarters.

FinLuver likes this.