Eddie Bauer gets back in the fishing business

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Whitey, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Marty's exactly right about perception and brand positioning. Before any more folks pile on the Let's All Bash Orvis bus, take a hard look at your own favorite independent fly shop. Chance are excellent that they also sell apparel like pastel nylon shirts for $85. They'd probably sell even more if there was that much margin or volume to be had.

K

2. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

I miss Warshalls. Wasn't really much of a fly shop but being on first ave, the guns, the heads on the wall, the creaky wood and even John Wayne was filmed there for McQ. I also miss REI when it was up on Cap Hill. But a true fly shop is as priceless as a nice old used book store.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  3. ScottP

ScottP Active Member

Wasn't bashing Orvis. Just thinking that they don't need to sink as much into R&D on clothing as they, or whoever they contract, would to bend graphite/machine aluminum. My apologies if I'm operating under a false pretense.

Regards,
    Scott

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  4. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Me too. I worked close by and remember visiting with Dan Lamaich at the store.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Sorry if it seemed like I was calling you out Scott. That certainly wasn't my intention. My comment was simply intended as a pre-emptive strike to ward off those who post the same snarky anti-Orvis comments over and over. To the best of my limited recall, you're not one of them.

Despite a century and a half of contributions to our sport, Orvis remains a target for everyone who likes to attack what they see as the 'snobbish' side of flyfishing with images of pipe-smoking 'sports' wearing tweed jackets with elbow patches. Orvis has a rich history of catering to both flyfishermen and wing shooters - sports whose gear costs alone make them accessible primarily to folks with above-average disposable incomes. If you can afford a $900 fly rod or a $1800 shotgun, why not a $100 sweater?

Nonetheless, some among us who don't blink an eye at the price of Sage rods or Simms waders continue to bash Orvis as elitist and overpriced. Seems to me that those whose hackles rise at the thought of tweeds and cane rods might feel more at home flipping crank baits to walleye or bass with cheap rods and level wind reels while wearing a Lady Antebellum wife beater and a Dale Earnhart hat.

Just sayin'.

K

rory likes this.
  6. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

What the hay, lets go all the way back to the old Frederick & Nelson days. They had a hunting and fishing dept. complete with wood floors, animal heads and guns.
    My folks bought me my first rifle there for Christmas (although at the time I thought my Daisy BB gun was a rifle). A really cool bolt action Mossberg 22 complete with scope. I still have it.
    F & N was at the time a competitor with the Bon Marche and Nordstroms. They had the "Paul Bunyan" dining room complete with a soda fountain too. The Frango Mint Sodas were memorable.
    Seattle was different back then, wasn't it?

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  7. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Kent Lufkin likes this.