Explain it to me like I'm 5: Picnic Point

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Fairways_and_Greens, Oct 4, 2013.

1. bramwessel

bramwessel New Member

Brite

2. Theron

Theron Active Member

My day fishing with Bob Triggs as my guide was a unique learning experience. I had read books and lots of posts on this forum before fishing with Bob but having someone point out what made a particular beach good was worth the money I spent. I will never have the knowledge of a good guide or instructor but I now know some of the things to look for. Leland's class would probably be a good start.

3. Jeff Sturm

Jeff Sturm Member

Leland's class (through Orvis in Bellevue) was well worth it and I highly recommend it; being new to the Sound, I feel like Leland gave me a pretty good foundation. I haven't had a ton of luck, but after reading both of the recommended SRC books (Chester Allen's and Les Johnson's), I think my issue was more a location deal than anything else--I was limiting myself to North Sound beaches (Golden Gardens, Picnic Point, & Mukilteo SP). Also, work has been a killer recently and I haven't had a lot of "spare" time devote to anything outside work and family.

My next order of business to is to get on Bob Triggs' calendar for a day of picking his brain. Classes and books are great (and I get a lot out of both), but I get A LOT MORE out of spending the day with a great guide...

I have a much appreciated window of opportunity today and I'm headed south to try my luck in MA-13.

4. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

Leland, do you have another class scheduled?

5. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

No class scheduled yet but we will have one Nov.

Leland

6. Fairways_and_Greens

Fairways_and_Greens Member

Nice! It's not quite fair that Les' book shows your fly box but your popper pattern isn't in the fly section. What a tease. :cool:

7. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Last time I looked it was in both of Les' books as well as Cester Allen's and Richard Stoll's.

Miyawaki Beach Popper, Miyawaki Popper

8. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Fairways,

I've fished Picnic quite often this summer. As it has been said, fish it on an outgoing tide with stout tippet (10-15lbs) and a clouser-esque fly. I was casting at Coho there two weeks ago, they do come within casting range. Walk out to where ever puts you nearest to jumpers. There is only so much the internet can tell you about a beach; virtual fishing will not put a real fish on the end of your line, so go check it out for yourself! It's not rocket surgery.

9. Fairways_and_Greens

Trust me, I'm putting in the casts... Just trying to fish instead of cast. Your quote reminded me of this:

Irafly likes this.
  10. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Sometimes you just have to fish the closest water to your home regardless of wether there are fish in there or not. I totally get that. And then one day as you're foolin' around practicing your casts, getting ready for the time when you can hit that fishy water, you suddenly feel a big tug as you're retrieving your line for another practice cast... and it may be one of the biggest SRC's you'll ever catch...you know, that one you weren't gunning for, the one you weren't expecting... It's happened to me. This one time at band camp... no really, this one time I just had to get time in on the water after work to decompress, had to stay close to the house, had to hit a beach with more sand than rocks or shells...But a spinning rod, a cigar and some shoreline is all I needed to chill....suddenly when that unexpected SRC hit my spinner (yes, I did not even have time to get into my waders and fly fish, I broke out the spin rod and cast a blue fox type spinner for a quickie.) my eyes got wide, my rod was bent and a fight ensued...it was a monster Cut, a chunky, full of energy, football shaped beast. There went all the things I learned about where SRC don't hang out... Point is, if it's all you have near you and you gotta get out and hit it quick for a few cast, then hit it...you never know what will hit ya back. ;)

Fairways_and_Greens likes this.
  11. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

If you think fishing the beach entails less casting and more catching, you're under false illusions. I've been doing this a long time and it's always hard work. Trout fishing is the only one that get's the ratio of casts per fish down.

Leland

12. Jeff Sturm

Jeff Sturm Member

Had a great day yesterday in MA-13. Several small cutts to hand on a chartreuse and white minnow. My M. popper got harassed on almost every cast, but nothing stuck. Switched to the minnow and it was the ticket. Had lunch and a beer while the tide turned and hit it again on the incoming after switching to an Intermediate line. Overall, a pretty good day on the beach...Also, I found another good spot after seeing some cars (in particular, a certain Subaru) parked along the road and noted some guys on the beach...

And, all that "casting practice" in the north Sound paid off...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

13. Fairways_and_Greens

Opps, double post.

14. Fairways_and_Greens

Not sure where I said I was expecting anything. Respectful, I just asked for tips for working a specific beach near my house...

15. ptphisher

ptphisher Member

WOW, all he wants is for us to put a fish on his hook with out putting the time and effort the rest of us have!

Pat Lat, Nick Clayton and Jason Rolfe like this.