Favorite Fiberglass Rod

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Jack Devlin, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

That fiberglass rod in my avatar is my old FF857..a rather big honking rod for mountain trout, but it casts quite well with an SA sharkskin line. It's pristine, though I've been fishing with it for almost 40 years. My theory is that it allows me to hoist the little SOB's outta the water and unhook'em so fast that mortality is substanially reduced. Always enjoyed selecting the right fly and location for a presentation, the hunt, and successfully setting the hook more satisfying than the fight anyway.

My favorite fiberglass pole is long gone...one of those yellow Eagle Claws...a victim of a good dog that decided that being tied up in camp, whilst I rambled in the woods, merited biting the butt section in two halves. She was right. I'd much rather I had her back, than the rod.

Kent Lufkin, Brookie_Hunter and Jackd like this.
  2. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I have three glass Fenwicks that are probably the best as to casting action of the half-dozen I own. However, my new personal favorite is a six foot Herter that I've had for about 45 years. It's a fairy wand of just 1 3/4 ounces, with double aluminum sliding band/small cigar reel seat. The factor that kept me from appreciating it is that it was rated as a five-weight. With that line, it's as slow and spineless as a UN peacekeeper. But recently, I tested it with a four-weight line, then with a three, then with a two. And it flexes properly with all of them! Now it's getting the exercise on small streams that it was made for. (In Herter's partial defense, few rods were rated for less than No. 5 lines in that era. Like me, it probably never occurred to them to test it with lighter lines.)

3. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I have several, but this is one of my favorites
    [​IMG]

4. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Zen, I have a never-fished 1953 wonderod I would be happy to trade you something for...

5. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Speaking of Scott, I totally forgot I won the F2
    [​IMG]

6. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

My Hardy "Brook", 6 foot 3 weight. Very, very sweet. Reel is the Hardy Featherweight which I purchased in 1965. DSC00959.JPG
    Jack

7. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

That there is Sexy! I have the LRH on the Scott.

8. Doug Lee

Doug Lee Member

I picked up an 8' two piece 5 wt made by Dave Redington's company, the South Fork Rod Company. A guy had it built and then decided he didn't want it as it was too slow for his taste. Great rod. Also fish a couple Fenwicks (807 and a 69 and a pair of Brownings for smallmouth. If I had to pick only one to keep it would be the South Fork.

9. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

I like my two Steffens...8' 5/6wt & 8'6" 7/8wt...I think my favorite of those two is the 5/6 though...it'll handle anything up to summer steelhead...

[​IMG]

10. Jack Devlin

Randall,
    Your Steffens rods look real nice. I have never seen one "in person", only looked at their website. Only hear good things about them.
    I like the color and un-sanded blanks. Will have to try one out someday.
    Jack

11. hedburner

hedburner Member

Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    I have one of the Steffen 8' 5/6 wts too. Bought it from someone on the Fiberglass forum. Built on an older blank dark charcoal color 3 piece with two tips. Cork reel seat with downslide ring. The Steffen and my DiamondGlass 8 ft 4wt are my go to rods for searun fishing on the Stilly. For small streams and creeks I like my Fenwick 706. Bass fishing in lakes I'll take the Silaflex 8.5 6/7 wt or the Fenwick 807.

12. Troutcreek

Troutcreek Active Member

My first reel fly rod was fiberglass, an 8’6”- 7 wt Eagle Claw that was my favorite for many years (because I didn’t know better). I couldn’t afford the (much better) Fenwick and it was many years before I tried fiberglass again. A good friend pointed me toward a 7’6” Lamiglass Spring Creek. This was and still is a great rod, smooth with a limber tip but light in hand with a nice predictable action.
    As time went by my next favorite became a Mark Steffen 2 piece 8’ 3 wt. Something about this rod is just right. Smooth progressive action, light sensitive tip with enough diameter in the butt to handle a strong fish. This is one of the best trout rods that I’ve ever handled, made by a guy who understands fly rod tapers. These rods are typically no nonsense great rods that IMHO are the best value in fly rods.
    That said, it is very possible that my newest 8’ 5 wt made by Kabuto Yasuyuki will take over the top spot. The rod has a smooth medium progressive action with elegant fit and finish.

IMG_4332.JPG IMG_4331.JPG IMG_4338.JPG

Attached Files:

Jack Devlin and Blue like this.
  13. Jack Devlin

That honey colored Kabuto is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for showing us. What reel do you use on it?
    Jack

14. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I agree, that Honey is beautiful. I dug out the Steffen
    [​IMG]

Thought I would share this one as well. Fenwick 5'3" 4/5
    [​IMG]

And the gold:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jeff Dodd likes this.