Favorite Fiberglass Rod

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Jack Devlin, Jan 25, 2013.

1. fixj

fixj Member

I have a 9'6" 8/9wt 2pc Lamiglas rod built by John Propp of Spokane in 1978 for my late father in law. I have only lawn cast it, I can't be sure if it has ever been on the water as it shows no signs of use. Mr Propp must have been a prolific rod builder as this is # 118. It is dark grey, almost black. I am assuming it is fiberglass. Anyone know of Mr Propp and his fly rods?

Blue likes this.
  2. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

I have not seen a 9'6" glass rod, but I guess anything is possible. It would have to be very noodlie.

3. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

You don't miss having a longer rod on such big water?

4. hedburner

hedburner Member

Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    Not on the lower Stilly in late summer, early fall. For the most part I'm only casting 50 feet and a lot less. 40 to 50 foot casts are pretty much the max. That lower river is easy wading for the most part. In fact during back to back dry years which we haven't had for quite some time you could start at Silvana and wade down to Tom Robbs farm when down on the Norman Road. I knew one guy who claimed he could wade from Silvana down to the the bridge to warm beach. But he was a lot taller than me.

5. Troutcreek

Troutcreek Active Member

Jack,
    It seems to balance with an Abel Creek 2 standard arbor, loaded with Cortland Peach DT 5. I haven't fished the rod yet so time will tell if that's the right combination.

6. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Aesthetically, I think you made an excellent choice. It fits in nicely with the hardware and wraps. I just looked at that Kabuto again. Exquisite!
    Jack

7. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Pictured are two of my favorite glass sticks. Both are 6'6" from Phillipson. The one on the left is a Johnson Profile which I bought in 1964. The slide band insert was originally cork but it got pretty beat up so I replaced it with a piece of walnut from a branch that fell into our yard. The rod on the right is a more recent purchase from maybe '91 or '92 I can't remember.

Attached Files:

8. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

I like a couple of my old 6.5ft Wright & McGill Featherlights best. IMG_7799.JPG IMG_7143.jpg

9. rockthief

rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

Dave you surely love those Featherlights. You are the unofficial spokesperson for those rods. :)

Brookie_Hunter likes this.
  10. 10incher

10incher Active Member

I'll roll with my home built Lami FL904-3 (3pc 7.5ft 4wt). All cork grip and seat. Cut and polished my own seat components from aluminum tubing. I used single foot guides and there is no frivolity in the wraps. Not skimpy, but no more than needed. Because I didn't use snakes, which add rigidity to the action, the rod is a slow. It won't take an award for overhead distance but it will flip twenty five feet of DT4 line anywhere you want it to go. And it'll roll cast fifty feet and turn over a wooly bugger (not exaggerating). Just the bomb on brushy, small streams. Best of all, with careful build fits and no nonsense design the finished rod weighs only 1.85oz. I defy anyone to show me a 7.5' 4wt that light. Sorry I don't have pics. As mentioned, it's really a no nonsense rod anyway. So pics wouldn't dazzle. But on the water it's a star.

11. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

I think we should have a glass get together sometime. I'd host at my place (north Seattle) if people were interested. There is a roomy park directly across the street where we could BBQ, covertly drink some cold ones and have a fiberglass rod show and tell.

12. 10incher

10incher Active Member

I'm down. But only if others apply. I just don't know you well enough for a date yet.

13. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Great idea. My Summer schedule is pretty full but after Labor Day things settle down quite a bit.

14. Gary Knowels

As we get closer we can plan something out. I'll make apple empanadas, which might be enough to entice Jack Devlin to come to this side of the water. Hopefully we can get Lugan and tonemike too as they are huge glass heads.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G

Jack Devlin likes this.
  15. Gary Knowels

I'm out of town the weekend after labor day for my birthday camping/fishing trip to Mt. Rainier but the next weekend would work for me. Call it Saturday September 14. I'll follow up later on, but I'm going to plan for that. Anyone is invited, but there will be a bring a minimum of 1 fiberglass rod entrance fee :D

Jack Devlin and Brookie_Hunter like this.