NFR Fireworks?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Theron, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Simplebugger

Simplebugger Active Member

Theron,
    I grew up on Whidbey closer to Oak Harbor and we would always make a trip over to the Rez for the good stuff, I would avoid the piddly little stands that are on the island. FYI though the State Patrol would often park right on the edge of the Rez and pull people over for "speeding" and confiscate all the illegal stuff you have that is visible...I'm not kidding. In other news, PM me and I can point you to some great SRC beaches up around the north end that have really produced for me. Be safe.

2. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Home Page:
    <Rant>Worst holiday EVER, the idea is honorable but the "blowing shit up" part sucks ballz. We have 3 dogs and every years its the same nonsense. Too many A-holes being dumb and potentially ruining property and scaring animals, and leaving piles of debris in the streets and yards. I hope an assload of Darwin awards are given out this year.</Rant>
    Otherwise have a great 4th and enjoy yourself in moderation.

3. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Same here Jim, I just don't go out on the 4th anymore.

4. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast la flama blanca

When scared pets are brought up, fireworks fans say they're celebrating their freedom.
    When fire danger is brought up, fireworks fans say they're celebrating their freedom.
    When the issue of neighbors needing to sleep is brought up, fireworks fans say they're celebrating their freedom.
    I wonder what they say about their celebration causing flashbacks for those who fought for that freedom.

5. xdog

xdog Active Member

Home Page:
    Fireworks suck.

I wonder how many injuries and serious fires are started every year by chiefly illegal fireworks.

Say no to fireworks. Every one should go plant and water a tree for a July 4th celebration.

6. xdog

xdog Active Member

Home Page:
    Kyle Smith likes this.
  7. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

You must really hate cars. Even the legal kind.

generic and DanielOcean like this.
  8. xdog

xdog Active Member

Home Page:

Yes cars suck too.

I am a truck man, I can't understand how people can feel comfortable sitting reclined so low to the ground whilst traveling at high rates of speed, dang city slickers I guess? I will say cars at least are capable of performing a useful function of transportation to and fro, unlike fireworks of which I fail to see any function or redeemable qualities.

:)

9. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast la flama blanca

I hate cars...when they're set on fire for fun.

Dan Nelson likes this.
  10. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I understand bans completely. Over here on the east side with the dry conditions, every year there are a spate of brush fires, houses threatened or damaged, and occasionally a life lost (first fire was yesterday; I wouldn't be surprised if fireworks are determined to be the cause.). When I was married & everything was legal, our small dogs were terrified; my bird dogs wanted outside to retrieve. And I've also spent time ensuring that my roof didn't catch fire when folks would set the things off in high wind. Banning idiots would be an even more prudent step.

11. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

I could put up with it, if only it was j.ust on the fourth. We have to give two of our dogs downers. Been hearing it for a week and will for another.

12. Theron

Theron Active Member

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I do understand the negative feelings about fireworks. I am a Viet Nam Vet and it took several years before I could enjoy fireworks again. I still am startled when I am not aware that some are going to be set off. I have no neighbors that I will annoy and I talked to the people that have the cabin on the beach and they are going to have fireworks also. I will be careful and enjoy the holiday.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  13. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Enjoy, Theron. You are more courteous than most. Be safe.

dustinchromers and Eyejuggler like this.
  14. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I will support the idiots 'freedom' to shoot off fireworks if, when their irresponsibility sets my house on fire, I can respond with my own brand of fireworks in such a manner to deter them to ever want/have the ability to light a 'sparkler' again.

15. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Come with me for a row down the beach in my dory on July 5th and just wait until you see what is on the shores and in the waters. Miles of debris from fireworks launched off of the beaches the night before. Fourth of July lasts a few weeks out here on the Olympic Peninsula. We have some dry weather again, sunny, and onshore breezes, so the grasses etc will be especially dry. I like the colorful scene of fireworks, but the pollution and damage is self evident. And it is very hard on animals, and many people too. I cared for an elder friend who was a WW2 and Normandy Beach veteran, Korea Veteran, cold war veteran etc. The weeks around fourth of July were very hard for him. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com