Fly Fisherman, only?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by shadowcast, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Fly only for me. I have been fishing for less than a year; learning fly-fishing is more than enough to keep me occupied without complicating it by mixing in other methods. Initially I thought that fly fishing was complicated, but looking at some of the rigs people throw and the massive variety of lures, spoons, spinners, baits, etc., gear fishing looks MUCH more complicated.

I've never caught a fish on gear, but catching on a fly seems like it is more fun. But at the same time, the gear guys seems to enjoy themselves plenty, so what do I know?

2. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I like it all, gear or fly. I'm whored up with tackle for both.

wadin' boot and jordan101 like this.
  3. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

I only fish an inexpensive spinning set up, an Eagle Claw Blue Pacific 125 reel (that I got as a teenager in the 1970's) with a Zebco rod, when I fish with my 5 yrs old daughter. Otherwise, strictly fly fishing the rest of the time.

4. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

I consider my self an Angler. I love to pursue fish and ALL methods that in-tale that. I do not understand why someone would limit themselves to one application but to each his own I say. I can enjoy slaying trout on a river with big fly's one day and be stoked to crush bass/crappie/pike the next with gear. Sounds exactly like my weekend!

cuponoodle breakfast likes this.
  5. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

Yeah buddy!

6. ken2cross

ken2cross Member

Most of my life was with spinning gear or salt water level wind. Fly fishing and fly tying is within the last 5 or 6 years. I have to say it depends on what I'm after. (Just try for halibut or a ling on a fly) but my favorite is a small out of the way stream with a fly. I'm talking trout here. I'll be back out on the salt when the salmon start coming in. Yes I've read some folks try for ling on a fly but it has to be pretty shallow and I don't think what they are doing is really fly fishing.

Ken

7. pdev

pdev Salmon On the Fly

I do the same. All types of fishing has it's merits and require different skills necessary to be successful

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I fish however I want to fish that day/moment. Spey, single hander, baitcaster, centerpin, spinning rod, downriggers... I've had amazing times on the water with all of them.

My tops: dries for steelhead, and spoons for steelhead.

9. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

I fished mostly with gear growing up, though was introduced to fly fishing at about 10 or 12. Progressed to mostly fly fishing for trout and using gear for steelhead and salmon. About 20 years ago switched to mostly fly fishing for everything. Now, I use gear when fishing with a good friend in his boat for steelhead a few times each year. It is his preference, and I'm fine with that. Today I fish for trout year around and only with a fly, but I'm not a purist. I still own a few spinning rods and reels, but the fly stuff dominates my collection.

10. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

I grew up with a spinning rod for trout, then got into the baitcaster and salmon/steelhead fishing. I picked up a fly rod about 10 yrs ago. I like to throw spoons for coho and steelhead( the hits are so violent). I like to see the float go down knowing a king just inhaled my eggs, or the flash of a steelhead as it races off with my bobber/jig. I really like top water action of Bass fishing. Trout rising to take my bug is probably my favorite.

11. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Flies most of the time, spoons and drift gear as well. Lately I'm tinkering with floats more (jigs, beads, etc.).

My angling life revolves around chasing steel, and I definitely cut my teeth using drift gear. Funny thing is that some of the best drift water is a real F****r to fish properly with a flyrod. Especially in winter. I think the ability of drift gear to slow a presentation dow to less than the speed of the current is part of it's power in cold water conditions.

And my often mentioned "hottest steel" ever nabbed a spoon on the swing. So I have a special place in my heart for bent metal. BTW I have included a picture (1997 I think) of my hottest steel ever. Bottom fish.

SkySpoonAug1997.jpg

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Shit, I thought that you were old.:p:p

13. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Started fly fishing at age 12. gear fishing around age 5, ran drift-boats since age 16 or 17 and I'm 54 now. I have done both and still do, you wont here much from me during aug. through oct. because that's chinook season for me. I have fished with so many other people that only fly fishing would make me a lonely kinda guy I think. I like fishing with other people and helping them catch fish or teaching them to run rivers and the such.

As far as surf fishing I have a 13 ft. one piece 5f lami sturgeon rod that will throw 12 ounces of lead a long,long way if you know what you doing, I used to fish a lot of bank sturgeon on the columbia and also banking it for springers with a bunch of friends sitting in our chairs smoking cigars and spitting chew - fun times I say. Kids also love the plunking on beaches because they can play all day until you yell to them "FISH-ON - GET YOUR ROD"

Now i'm moving more to my true love that has always been fly fishing for trout. I fly fished for steel in the 70's,80's,90's and could care less about it now. also used to catch coastal chinook with a fly when not pounding qwickies, back bouncing or bobbers and eggs or cock-tail. SPRINGERS in the willy and Columbia. I used to look at the big boat fisherman anchored or trolling and say what A BUNCH OF LAZY ASSES AND SWORE i WOULD NEVER DO IT. Now most of my friends have bigger power boats and we still catch lots of fish sitting on our lazy asses and I still have a drifter for all my, or our other small fisheries. Diver and bait will show you where almost every fish in the river likes to lay but I haven't fished that way in years.

If there is one thing I have learned it is that I will get bored with fisheries over years of the same thing and "CHANGE" what I am doing to keep it interesting. sometimes you just get somethings so dialed in that it is no longer a challenge and when that happens it's time for a change. I have caught thousands of salmon and steelhead on gear and flies and now could care less. trophy rainbows is my calling now mixed in with a few good runs of steel and salmon during the warm summer months in the Columbia. prediction of 800,000 Chinook and maybe 500,000 steelhead swimming by a few miles away from me still gets my attention from time to time.

Learning to cast huge sturgeon rods for surf or sturgeon can be called an art just like drift fishing and fly fishing. put 10 ounces on and lay down a large piece of card board and get a running start and turn a 13 to 16 ft. one piece rod in a "U" and you will see exactly what I mean. I have a friend who is 6' 5" 400 pounds that used to throw a 16' 1 piece, old white lami custom made rod with 14 to 16 ounces a country mile, the base of the rod is as big around as your wrist - "OLD SCHOOL" sturgeon fisherman that taught me how to cast.

I feel gear fishing is just as much an art as fly fishing when done to the extreme. just like taking fly fishing as far as you can. But it seems fly fishing with it's tying flies and entomology and harder to work the lines and casting is a lot more of a challenge so I get bored way less than with gear fishing.

My biggest love in fishing is matching the hatch and always has been. maybe that's why I don't care to fly fish for steel and salmon much is because most of the time there is no hatch matching. it's mostly about getting your fly in the right place and right speed, and oh yeah, fishing where there is actually fish to catch!

Irafly, dryflylarry and shadowcast like this.
  14. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I sin once or twice a year... still have some close friends who are gear fanatics and it's always fun to get out with them and remind myself why I love the tranquility of fly fishing (well, on most venues anyway).

15. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Nothing like plugging with a spey rod. Lots of action.:)

David Dalan and bennysbuddy like this.