FYI the b.c . pipeline

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by golfman65, May 22, 2013.

1. Shad

Shad Active Member

The answer to every question about why something utterly irresponsible or unfair gets done is that somebody with enough money to buy government backing stands to make a lot more money from doing it. That's why we are seeing things like the Pebble Mine, Keystone XL, coal by rail, and crude export from Northwest put into action, despite overwhelming public opposition.

Big oil is the reason why we haven't made significant strides in developing alternative energy sources. Once oil interests own the green technologies of the future, they will Make them mainstream. Until then, they'll continue to destroy the land and sea for the sake of petroleum delivery. It's not because they're bad people, but rather because they're blinded by the dollar signs in their eyes. It's been said that power corrupts, but money corrupts absolutely.

But I digress. The government officials who accept political bribes, time and time again, despite their sworn responsibility to protect the interests of the people, are the real criminals. Democracy ceases to exist in a Capitalist society once a minority accounts for the vast majority of the wealth, and that is why we are seeing more and more injustice and irresponsibility in what little legislation is getting done.

golfman65, kamishak steve and wlai like this.
  2. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

so much clout that the majority of 1st nations peoples in canada live in poverty, have substandard access to health care & other government provided resources, and are not permitted to sell the fish they are legally entitled to catch, or lease, sell or rent the land that is supposedly theirs on reserves? you mean that kind of clout?

wlai likes this.
  3. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

No , I was simply stating that if the Natives don`t want a project on their lands , the project most likely won`t happen .

I did`nt mention the challenges they face , which are well known .
    I also did`nt mention that many of their challenges are self-induced .
    It has no bearing on the pipeline .

4. wlai

wlai Member

Of course. The root of their problems can be traced back to the day they "self-induced" the arrival of Europeans and their forced concession of land, their way of life, not to mention the forced assimilation and forgoing of their own language and culture so they can adopt the superior Canadian culture.

In other news, the Chinese also say of the Tibetans of "self-inducing" social and economic problems, which the Han Chinese government is all too ready to "help rectify". History repeats.

5. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Never-mind .
    I`ll defer to the experts .

6. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

"Utterly irresponsible" (stated by Shad above) is entirely correct...but let's bring it back from the "deep" to the level. Geography demands a different route! It's economics at the most basic level. A rudimentary cost/benefit analysis makes it clear.

A flatter land pipeline option exists with the Keystone XL. Time to pressure the decision-makers!! On both sides of the 49th parallel.

When I retire I intend to explore all steelhead waters of BC

7. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Cool video; I love seeing the line come tight while swinging and then seeing the rod start bucking. However, I also understand that was not the main point of the video. I know first hand that First Nations in BC certainly has some clout when it comes to environmental/fish issues as I work with some very closely on some things. But that alone doesn't provide 100% assurance that this project won't go through. While looking back over time, generally business, development, and the almighty dollar usually finds a way to get what it wants.

8. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I agree with you all, we must protect this wonderful place but, remeber this the next time you jump in your suv to go fishing. These are the choices we have made as a society. People have been talkin about this stuff since I was a young man( nigh on 40 yrs), we have to start playing the long game in this country and not just worry about today.

9. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

You are right, we need to transport this find by truck. Never mind the increased risk to our streams or the traffic problems, it is important to stop the safest way to transport these fuels. Or better yet, we could boycott these products. I love bamboo rods and silk lines but how many of you do...

10. wlai

wlai Member

11. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    In a twist of irony, my bet is that the route ends up going north. North the to Arctic Circle which will become a major shipping route due the global warming allowing the ice to melt faster and enabling ships to pass through.