Glacier NP Info?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Ed Call, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Builder

Builder Member

Ed...I mailed you Schneider's "Fishing Glacier Park".

Chris
    Missoula

Ed Call likes this.
  2. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

All kinds of great advice here. I'd add:
    1. Take the ride in the car up Going-to-the-Sun. I've driven it several times, it's a lot better if you ride and let somebody else drive. It's beautiful, and you do not want to take your eyes off the road if you drive. And the cars are cooler than hell. You'll start collecting cars, now, mumbles.
    2. Fishing: Don't forget outside the park: the Flathead forks on the west, and the lakes on the Blackfoot Res. on the east. If you was to ask, I'd tell you there's no fish in either of 'em, so you shouldn't waste more than a few days pursuing those alternatives.
    3. We've always stayed in the park. Ranger campfire talks mesmerize kids, as well as old geologists like me. They may come to the KOA, if so, do one...plants, critters, rocks..it's a great experience. And take a guided hike. Most of the rangers doing those deals are volunteers, many are excellent scientists, all have a great love for what they do, and watch out, it'll infect you and your kids.
    4. Bear spray. No guns, bear spray. You can't carry a handgun that'll do crap to a griz. Bear spray. Bear spray.

3. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Mind the bears, seriously. I'd get bear mace and carry it, watch video on the correct way to use it, too. Also, insure that at least one old, fat guy is nearby that can't outrun you or the kids.:p

4. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

I wouldn't worry much about the bears, you might see one if you go out and look for them. Just make noise in the back country and you'll be ok. We go up there every year and I've only seen one grizzly and he was in high gear heading away from us, however the deer will eat your food right off the table or anywhere else they can find it. The conservation officers patrol the campgrounds and gets a little upset (125$) if your food is left out. Have fun and take the kids by goat lick while your there.
    Don't forget to hit the hungry horse cafe for the best homemade chicken fried steaks and eggs you'll ever find.

5. sweetlou

sweetlou Member

A few years back when a father and daughter got mauled by a grizzly at Glacier, that was our good friends and it can happen even with preparing for whats around the corner. Make noise dude!! Maybe even start packing

6. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:

I don't worry much about my airline flight crashing, either, but I always hook my seatbelt.

7. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Speaking of pack, are personal defense ballistic tools permitted in the park? This papa bear wants to make sure that I'm taking all available means to give my cubs time to escape any too close encounter. With the amount of noise my clan makes in the woods we won't surprise any creature that is not deaf and dumb, but just in case.[/quote]

Yes, they are. You have a CCP? All national parks several years ago were mandated to honor the states' concealed carry permits.

Last time we were there, my right boot was repeatedly attacked by a crazed shoelace-starved yellow marmot, who wouldn't quit even after I gave him the boot. Lofted the little sucker about 10 yards, right through the uprights!

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

WA, not MT. Unsure I can get into the UT course that allows reciprocation of concealed carry in 31 states. I better look into that.

We will make noise hiking for sure. I will have spray for sure. I am familiar with its use. When traveling with your family I think the more prepared and capable the better.

9. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Home Page:
    When are you heading out? I'm doing a multiday fishing/rafting flat on the Upper Middle Fork of the Flathead with the Trout TV team in mid-July and can get you some local intel from them if you want it. If that's too late to be of help, you could just contact the Glacier Anglers (part of the Glacier Outdoor Center) in West Glacier, MT. http://www.glacierraftco.com/fly-fishing/fly-shop/

Ed Call likes this.
  10. fly-by

fly-by Active Member

Your WA CPL is honored by MT outside the park. Feds actually have jurisdiction in a national park and as Alex mentioned, they have to honor permits. So you are OK either way.

We are heading to Glacier during the second week of August and plan to tent camp at Kintla Lake or Bowman Lake. Anyone have experience with those sites? Open to other suggestions.

Ed Call likes this.
  11. Ed Call

Fly-by, thanks for that update. Very good to know.

Dan and Fly-by, dates are uncertain as we just shifted and recently. The Mrs is supposed to plug all our conflict dates into her calendar and choose the best option. I will post up dates when I know more.

Builder, huge thanks. The fly fishing GNP book arrived today. Thank you.

12. fly-by

fly-by Active Member

I just booked a riverfront site at the Big Creek campground which is on the NF Flathead. It's outside the park (across the river) in the Flathead national forest and appears to have much better availability than the two campgrounds inside the park that take reservations.

Ed Call likes this.
  13. N-forker

N-forker Active Member

Ed,

What is your ETA? I live maybe 3 miles from the Blankenship Bridge.

Cheers!

PM inbound.

14. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

15. Ed Call

Just back from a backpack. Will catch my breath and catch up. Thanks all.