Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hansen's Wally Wing Dun

Pattern 
Tags
wing
3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  ScottP 
#1 ·

Playing around with backgrounds; interesting how the blue brings out red tint in the CdC

Found this fly on Youtube (he does a lot of interesting things with CdC)

Most time consuming part was preening/prepping the wing; rest of the construction was pretty easy.

hook -Dai Riki 320 #12
thread - MFC 8/0 sand
tail - mallard flank
rib - Danville 6/0 grey
abdomen - dubbing hare's ear
wing - mallard flank (Wally Wing style)
thorax/hackle/wingcase - CdC dun

Regards,
Scott

See less See more
1 5
#3 · (Edited)
Gorgeous fly - pixie-ish & whimsical in it's beauty indeed. Likely too delicate both in the creation phase & for use for a shaky old fart like me (but I still may try to tie a couple, lol. Just because . . .).

Edit: After watching the video, maybe not - using gossamer thread, splitting same, and the inherent delicate touch needed to carefully "peel" the formed wings are no longer among my few talents. "A man has GOT to know his limitations."

You & the gentleman in the video are true Masters of the Art, Scott & I salute you both! Thanks for posting!

#5 ·
Likely too delicate both in the creation phase & for use for a shaky old fart like me
using gossamer thread, splitting same, and the inherent delicate touch needed to carefully "peel" the formed wings are no longer among my few talents.
Don't sell yourself short. Hardest part to splitting thread is taking any inherent twist out; after that all you have to do is run it back and forth a few times over a bobbin tube or something similar to flatten the thread out and then insert a needle point (actually, I did my CdC hackle in a dubbing loop on this fly because I prefer to use my baby formula mixer to twist up my DIY Henry's Fork Hackle). Peeling the wings was pretty straightforward - just make sure you grab 2 or 3 fibers from each side of the stem to pull down; the fibers separated easily (much easier than I thought they would).

I wonder how it holds up to a fish attack or two
Probably not too well. To me, these are just-for-fun flies.

Regards,
Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.