Hatchery Steelhead in the N. Fork Stillaguamish

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Cruik, Jun 5, 2013.

1. FT

FT Active Member

I have fished the Stilly far more than 100 times for summer runs since 1994 when I moved to the Skagit Valley. Some years I've caught quite a few, and other years not too many. However, whether I hook any fish at all doesn't make a trip to the Stilly a good trip or a bad trip. Simply being on the river with rod in hand and swinging or skating a fly and seeing things like river otters, ducks, hawks, heck, even a rabbit makes spending time on the river worthwhile.

Don't get me wrong, hooking a steelhead is a wonderful thing, but I don't have to hook or land any for it to have been a good day. If I needed to hook fish for it to be a good day, I'd go trout or bass fishing with my fly rod. In fact, I'd move back to Montana and be in trout heaven once again where hooking a dozen trout 12" or larger in an hour is a very real occurrence that happens a lot on many of the rivers there during major hatches.

Steelhead fishing is very different and to simply have one of them take your fly for whatever reason a steelhead does so is very addicting. But it happens far, far less often than trout (or bass) feed and take your fly.

wanative and DanielOcean like this.
  2. gabe0430

gabe0430 Banned or Parked

3. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Geez, sorry for getting some off you so worked up. I hit a sensitive vein.

I don't get this website. You guys all said a bunch of stuff I totally agree with, in response to something I didn't actually say (it was hear say), and much of the said stuff has nothing to do with what I did say. I find myself defending myself for no reason on this site and reading long winded posts that while are nice, are just that, simply nice. Pacific Fly Fishers obviously feels a need to come here and defend themselves and i wonder why? Which brings me to my point, "Do you feel better now?"

The fly fishing community is living in glass houses more than ever. All it takes is one dissenting, anti guide fisherman, to make a post to see it. Or you can see the freakout post by the guy getting low holed at Reiter in this forum.

Besides all of you must know by now that the Stilly has a slide going of the evil blue clay known to the valley's hills. Do not underestimate the evil clay. Same stuff that was coming down back when FT was walking up hill both ways to fish the river and Windows 95 was still buggy as hell. This river needs more help than ever.

4. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

I'm not usually in the business of sticking my nose into others' arguments but I think you are missing the point so hopefully this will clarify some things...

The only thing about Pacific Fly Fishers that was posted in this thread was by a paying customer there (Daniel) who had asked about a local river (the Stilly). PFF told him that you can fish it well. This one comment prompted you to publicly bash their business on a local fishing forum based on information that you were told years ago by someone else. To put it into perspective, what PFF did is the equivalent to a golf shop in California selling a set of clubs and then telling the customer that Pebble Beach is a great course to play... Yet you took it upon yourself to bash them even tho you claim to have nothing against them? I hope you can see why people reacted the way they did... No need to continue to rip on them.

That being said its the internet and shit gets mixed up all the time so who knows. Hope this helped clarify some things...

As a side note I've fished the NF Stilly about a half dozen time this summer and haven't had a hookup yet. Not that I really know what I'm doing out there but still.

5. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Speaking of the slide, I hiked Boulder River trail for the first time last Sunday. It starts a couple of miles above the mouth of Boulder River on the NF Stily, and is approximately 4 miles long. I'm not sure what color the water usually is, but it was still the color of wet cement when I reached the end of the trail. It looks as if the slide is pretty high up, like in the Boulder River wilderness.

6. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

sounds like a good year to explore with beer in hand instead of fly rod..

Once you learn to 10 holding spots on the stilly you don't have to fish anywhere else on the river.. seriously

7. ChrisC

ChrisC Active Member

If this wasn't said, there would be no discussion. With one local fly shop closing after another over the past 5 years (Kaufmann's, Creekside Downtown, All About the Fly), we are lucky to have the few remaining shops like PFF stay open.

8. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast free bird

But those 10 spots change from year to year.

9. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

I completely agree

10. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

I agree with you there. I think pff made some smart business decisions to be able to weather the storm. Only problem is there location. I am in Monroe now and it really sucks having to drive that distance just for simple accessories and stuff. I wish that fly shop in Monroe was still around.

11. pff is in the perfect location, I can see it from my back porch:)

Bert likes this.
  12. DanielOcean

Well shit bass turds I can see why you would think that. From now on I will just call you and tell you what I need then you can drop it off at my house on your way out to the sky.

13. works for me, I may be picking up a two person pontoon tonight too pending the condition of it

14. DanielOcean

DUUUUDE, lets go. I swear I will buy lunch and beer. I am dying to float that river. However, a boat is in next years budget along with a switch setup.

15. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

I'll bring my water wings and float next to you guys

BASS_TURDS likes this.