holster for fishing....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jpfish, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Check out LIIONDEFENSE, I carry a Glock 26 with their Appendix kydex holster. Excellent holster, secure clip to position anywhere.

2. Jason Hoffman

Jason Hoffman Member

not for wolves, but more likely for dogs, cougars and crazies. There were a few dog and cougar incidents on the cedar last summer. There was a crazy dude hunting people to on the OP some time ago.

3. Jonnytutu

Jonnytutu Member

I just don't understand. When you look at the number of animal attacks across North America, the numbers are staggeringly small, ridiculously small, silly small.

I just couldn't ever understand the need to carry a gun when out relaxing on the bank of a river. Not trying to start a battle....just a personal opinion.

fredaevans and Don Freeman like this.
  4. Jason Hoffman

Jason Hoffman Member

That's absolutely true. 99% of people go to all the same places. Most are very safe as a result. Then there are those who go outside of locations regularly traveled by the other 99% of people and do that a lot. I tend to fish remote places and often solo. Thats also where the best fishing often is and the wildlife. My wife, for example has encountered cougars right in the puget sound area on two occasions because she was trail running/mt biking on little used trails 5 days a week year round over a decade. Thank goodness she had a 135lb malamute that drove the cougar off when she was on foot and was far enough away and on a mt bike the second time. Go out enough and eventually the numbers add up. Also, look on this forum and you will see reports of guys facing down cougars last summer on the cedar river or the off leash pit bulls that went after a guy on the the cedar. I was out last spring and on a little used trail and coming back out I noticed cougar tracks in the mud that had followed me for about a quarter mile. Thats when I decided I would carry when alone in less traveled areas. Not needed when with a few guys or when in human frequented areas, unless you are in grizzly territory, IMO.

Irafly likes this.
  5. Jason Hoffman

Jason Hoffman Member

Wildlife aside, the wilderness occasionally attracts wackos (besides us fly fishermen). Again if you are alone and remote, you increase your odds of something less than happy. Like this guy that was hunting people on trails on the OP.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021604915_traildeathsxml.html?prmid=obindomain

I remember years ago when some friends of mine were on the Appalachian trail when a serial killer was making the rounds there as well. Sure their are fewer murders in the backwoods, but there are fewer people too. Again the "alone and remote" factor increase your odds in a negative way.

6. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Hey Joel. What prompted you to want to carry a Glock while fishing?

7. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Jason: I was curious where you fish while carrying.

8. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Keeping Glocks out out of psychos' hands. Not a bad policy.

9. Jpfish

Jpfish Active Member

Im planning on doing a lot of hiking/fishing in fairly remote areas this summer and fall. Ill be doing a lot of this solo. I feel as long as I own a pistol id prefer tohave it and not need it rather than need it and not have it. You never know who or what you will run into in the woods.

And thanks everybody for some good suggestions.

Irafly and Jason Hoffman like this.
  10. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

While shooting pictures at a remote section of a S river I had two gentlemen join me in an old beat up truck. When they got out of the truck I could see from their physical appearance (profiling is legal for me) and dress these two were not people I wanted to be friends with. One walked over towards my pickup and the other started slowly walking towards me. When he got to within about 30 feet I turned toward him, put my right hand on my hip, pulling back my coat and displaying a .357 mag on my hip (open carried in a Mr. Mike's nylon holster). I made no move for the weapon only made it visible with my hand a couple of inches away. I heartedly said good morning and mentioned what a beautiful day it was. The guy stopped dead in his tracks stumbled out the words good morning and somewhat agreed on the type of day it was. For a brief moment of time we stared at each other. His gaze seemed more focused on the revolver on my side. After this brief moment of uncomfortableness he turned and went back to the vehicle meeting up with his friend who by the way I was also very aware of and had stopped his walked towards my truck while watching the interaction between myself and his friend. They talked briefly amongst each other then left. I gathered up my gear and moved out of the area. I can carry as much as 8 or 9 grand worth of equipment with me when I venture out to shoot. I don't know what these two had in mind but I am positive the fact I was armed and openly displayed to them I was armed changed any immediate plans they had.

Ed Call, Codioos, G-spot4u and 2 others like this.
  11. Jason Hoffman

Jason Hoffman Member

If I go to those places in order to find reduced fishing pressure, and to avoid people, why would I post them on a public forum? :)

I fish all kinds of water but my favorite is small streams and creeks. I pore over USGS hydrology maps and satellite images. I find roads I can 4x4 on and trails I can MTB on and I bushwhack in for miles to spots that look good or I may scramble down into rocky canyons. Those are the trips where I carry in Washington.

12. PT

PT Physhicist

Then don't. You made your point in a respectful manner and I'm not attacking you. Other's do want to carry for whatever reason and I have no problem with their choice either.

People who legally carry are everywhere. And you'll never know it, as it should be.

13. Jason Hoffman

Jason Hoffman Member

And lets not forget man's best friend. Just because a four-legged creature is his owner's best friend doesn't mean he is yours. There are 4.5m Dog attacks per year. Its still pretty rare. Only 1.5% of Americans get bit by a dog each year. But people are often more comfortable letting their big dogs off leash in the back woods or on a more remote trail. Personally I have 23 stitches in my leg from a dog attack.

14. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

To respond to your question, the reason to post them here on this forum is to share your experience, so others can learn from you, and to contribute. I doubt anyone would retrace your exact footsteps by 4x4, mountain bike and bushwacking to hit a little mountain stream, but it might give them ideas for adventures of their own. If you don't want to give up any of your hard earned, productive secret spots, then you could post about places you have been where the fishing was lousy. You could post pictures and stories without divulging exact locations.

One good resource I have found to learn about fishing in remote, reduced pressure spots is the WTA's hiking reports where I search for "fish". Many times, hikers will share their observations about fish and wildlife in trip reports. I rarely hear of hikers on WTA carrying or running into situations suggesting a need to carry. There must be 50,000 trip reports there.

For me, the best reason to pack while in the woods is to go shooting, but I have heard nobody on this thread talk about that. The discussion is about protection. I can understand the argument for carrying to protect oneself from animals. I can respect the fear reflected in the argument for carrying in order to protect oneself from bad people. However, given the overwhelmingly safe nature of our WA wilderness, I believe it's reasonable also to weigh the probability of you ever actually being able to use your gun for protection against the risk and discomfort that your carrying causes others.

Jonnytutu and Don Freeman like this.
  15. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Nobody has asked for my opinion, but i have one anyway.

I spent 13 months in Vietnam, sagging with weapons of all types 24/7. I only needed them occasionally, and then it was really obvious when to use them.

I've been back here for 45 years, alone for days in deserts, canyons, mountains rivers, cities... So far I've never seen the need for lethal force. I don't own anything designed to kill humans.

A. Either I'm a lucky SOB.
    or
    B. I'm missing something.