Hook Prices WTH

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Paul_, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

You should always buy the best you can afford when it comes to tools. Hooks are no different than a hammer. You can get anything you want for a given price. I have found less expensive hooks can be had if you look for them. If a shop doesn't carry them, get them somewhere else. The idea that you have to serve a shop is misguided in that they carry what they can afford to sell. They don't mind if you find something else, for the most part. The key is that when you find something you like, take it to your local shop and suggest that they try it. You might be surprised.

2. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

You are right, hook prices are crazy high IMO. Certainly reflective of increase price for steel, but still seems awfully inflated. Makes me glad I went on a hook buying spree about 10 years ago, getting great deals on Tiemco from eBay, and on Taurus hooks at the fly shop in Munroe (really liked those hooks btw). Most recently, 70% off on hooks when Sportsman Warehouse closed up.

The dang things are getting like ammo. Keep your eyes peeled for good buys and maintain some stock to avoid having to pay full retail.

3. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

No disrespect intended, but I'm always slightly amused by these 'amazing high prices these days' threads...reminds me of gasoline prices, butter prices...or whatever. Corrected for inflation, and the 'low wages' of the past, things ain't too bad; I well remember listening to old farts bitching about the prices of hooks 50 years ago.

Hell, we've got it good in terms of products; plenty to choose from, much better materials, easy availability. Back then you took what little you could find locally, or waited to see what kind of shitty quality item a mail order catalogue outfit felt like sending you. There certainly wasn't any kind of ability to bitch about a greedy/bad vendor like you can nowadays via the internet.

flybill likes this.
  4. Paul_

Paul_ Active Member

Glad I could slightly amuse you, next time I'll try better to really amuse you;)

Krusty likes this.
  5. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Define"quality"

I'm always amazed at how much time and money is spent on going fishing, then to scrimp on the part that attaches to the fish, in terms of leaders and hooks that "are just as good as the good stuff".

flybill and Ron McNeal like this.
  6. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I hear you on this Paul! I have 1000's of hooks from years ago - 80's But still have to buy hooks like scud hooks or 2 x strong or specialty hooks I just have to have for a pattern. For number 10 through say 4 I have a ton. sending a PM' for possible 100 lot hooks from me but we might have to meet for a fishing trip to keep your gas bill down! I'll give you a call!

7. Darrel

Darrel New Member

For the price of something to double, raw material double, manufacturing double, tax doubles, shipping doubles, profit doubles and then retails doubles. Not always, but raw material is just a small fraction of the cost to manufacture and retail a product usually. Sure, raw material will raise the cost to manufacture, but I believe it's an excuse to put a little extra in the profit end.

8. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

That's a tough assignment. Old farts like me basically have two operating states; slightly amused or irritable. 'Irritable' is too much work, and it pisses off the old lady, so I'll stick with 'slightly amused'.

Dipnet, Old Man, Paul_ and 1 other person like this.
  9. sbr

sbr Member

10. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

For those that might want to accuse this fly shop with ripping off their customers might want to do some research about how much this model/brand/size costs elsewhere. The average is $9 a pack in this size and this fly shop has very comparable market prices. Given the intent of use, I would have chosen a 5262 or 5263 and adjusted my size accordingly due to the different shank length. These are generally a bit cheaper at $6 a pack.

11. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

I'm starting to buy the higher quality hooks.

However I seem to be grabbing barbless competition hooks from a company called Hanak.
    A 25 pack is $8 but what I like is there is no chance of breaking a hook when I debard them.

They are also super sharp out of the box and made with a nice heavy wire. I had a set of barbless allen pupa hooks, bought Hanak ones and I have way more confidence in the Hanak to hold a fish. The Allen ones were way to flimsy for my liking.

12. generic

generic Active Member

Makes you think huh? 7 years ago, oil was around $145 a barrel - and gas was around $4.25 a gallon.

Now, oil is around $95 a barrel, and gas hit as high as $3.89 a gallon. Hmm... That ratio seems off doesn't it?

One has to understand the economic "buying power" of the US Dollar, when it comes to these things.

When you print more money (US Dollars), the buying power of that dollar goes down. When the buying power goes down, it takes more to buy the same product.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ These numbers are a bit on the conservative side, but it's the simplest calculator I could find.

What this chart does not take into consideration, is the cost of raw materials going up, labor, shipping, etc. - and they are felling the affect of the devaluing of the dollar as well. Thus, passing their loss/cost on to the consumer.

I'm with Sg (although probably not as... "seasoned"), I can remember $3.87 for a pack that is $8 or $9 now.

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

What really gets me is how much we all spend on rods, reels, and line to fish with and then just put the fish you catch back into the water for somebody else to catch down the road. So why bitch about the price of hooks when all you are doing is catch and release.

Edit: I used to fish with gear. When I lost a set up to the bottom or the other side of the river I just tied on another setup. Or when fishing with spinners, I'd lose one and then just put another one on. I never worried about the price of fishing gear or gas. When I need something I usually just went out and bought it. If I didn't have the money I didn't get it. But buying hooks for the tying of flies is a bargain at almost any price.. Try buying 25 flies at 6 bucks a pack. It ain't happening.

Krusty and generic like this.
  14. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

One other thing to consider is that ALL retailers, including flyshops are in it for the money. Tom

15. generic

generic Active Member

I'd hope so. I don't know anyone who does the opposite... at least on purpose.