Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

How do steelhead strike in winter

803 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Luv2flyfish 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what you experience has been with the strikes of steelhead. I have only had success with dead drifted egg patterns. I am new to winter steelheading and I was wondering what I should be looking for. Is it like Chum Salmon or like the strike of Silvers? I am using the wet fly swing mainly.
Thanks.
Josh

Also When does spring begin on the Oly. Penn.?

#3 ·
Most of my strikes are of two types,a tug on the line or the fly just stops like it has hung up on something either on the drift or the swing.Very few of my strikes are arm breakers.Since I set the hook on everything I usually just sink my hook deeper into whatever it is hung up on and lose it.But at least I know it is down where it is supposed to be.

#4 ·
Here is a little tip for that - it will save you many-a-flies.

when the swing stops - pull straight back semi-sharply and only a few inches. Your rod is still parallel to the water, just pull straight back. One of three things will always happen.

if you've hooked a rock - most of the time it will pull free, not killing the sticky sharp, and you will hardly ever hook a rock. Then your swing can continue and you are good to go.

second - if you stop on a tree - well....you may not always pull free.

or third - when you pull straight back, you might be poking a fish in the gum - he will give you a head shake, you know its a fish..............AND THEN you can set the hook and enjoy the ride. Just a thought - but it sure saves alot of flies and allows me to finish many more swings instead of ripping the lips off of every rock in the stream.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.