How do YOU straighten your leader?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Teenage Entomologist, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I pull sections of my leader between my hands. Seems to work, and it's simple.

Sg

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Stretch my leader? Hmmmmm..... I always plan to catch fish and let them do it for me :)

FLYFLICKER likes this.
  3. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

This has worked for me since my Dad clued me in back in the late 50's. I've never found a reason to fix somethin' that ain't broke . . .

triploidjunkie likes this.
  4. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

So...do you plug it in a currant bush?

dfl and triploidjunkie like this.
  5. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

A tapered mono leader typically lasts me close to a year, six months minimum. I just keep adding fluorocarbon until I can't mate the butt ends anymore due to diameter differences. I mostly just use P-Line 100% flourocarbon, until I need the fancy stuff with even smaller diameter breaking strength.

Edit: Even when the tapered butt section gets to the point of not matching my tippet, I add about two foot of ten/eight pound P-Line and proceed to tie tippet sections from there, until it runs out. And repeat process.

6. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I got started using a piece of inner tube rubber 30 some years ago. Then I tried the Orvis and Cortland straighteners. All worked fine. Then I started stretching by hand because many folks said it was better. Well, I don't think it is. Because my old rubbers fatigued, I recently got a couple more Orvis straighteners. I like straight leaders. Rubber helps. Pull slower and softer in the tippet zone. Don't think I've ever had a failure because of it.

7. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Why don't you furl your own? I made a jig and have made leaders up to 10 feet in length from 4 lb. mono. You can use 6/0 tying thread as well and they work very well as trout leaders. There are several jig patterns/instructions on the web. Just Google "furled leader" and go from there. They are actually quite simple to make.

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I saw the tool in a Fly Magazine and was going to try to do it but I never got around to it. Just to lazy I guess.

They might be simple to make but not for me. I went fishing the other day and almost threw it all away. I was shaking so bad I could barely tie a double surgeon's knot. Gonna have to have the doctor give me some stronger pills I guess to control my shakes.

9. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

Ive used the leather patch on my leaders for years with no issues. Tried furled leader and really like it for most applications; however, I did find that on calm surfaces, the furled tends to spray water a bit for me thus I don't use it around spooky fish.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

10. Jason Chadick

Jason Chadick A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...

Pinch and stretch…with the hands god gave you. I love gimmicks, but is it really necessary to need a "tool" to straighten a damn leader?

11. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

In my case the leather patch was a gift from my youngest daughter years ago. I see no reason not to use it.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2