How far should I be casting?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by PatrickH, Jan 23, 2014.

1. John Vancil

John Vancil Member

Patrick if you want to diy your casting practice there is some great videos on youtube. I would suggest
    Lefty Kreg and Orvis videos. Some thoughts when practice throwing only what you can comfortably
    cast while maintaining a proper loop. Cast as easily as possible to maintain the loop. I joined a fly
    fishing club and we have a certified instructor that helped me and lots of practice. If I were you I would
    join a fly fishing club and there are other great benefits to fly clubs. TIGHT LINES John

2. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Well I still have to say it's your line! The S.A. air-cell trout line is as cheap as they come. If it is a weight forward line the head of the WF line is probably only about 30 feet long. Meaning that you can only keep 30 to maybe 35 feet of line in the air before shooting, shooting 15 to 20 feet matches your 50 to 55 foot cast.

You say your rod is a 5/6 weight, well the rio gold or the s.a. Gpx would be good on the rod and I think the GPX head is some 47 feet long which you can keep in the air 47 to 50 feet before shooting + shooting 15 to 20 feet = 67 to 70 feet. The GPX is a great all around line and is rated at 5 1/2 weight which should fit your rod perfect and not over weight it.

Like I said it's the damn line! trout heads or trout lines are always light and have shorter heads for light presentations in close. If you want to cast farther start with a line that will do it! One that was designed for some distance!

jwg and underachiever like this.
  3. LD

LD Active Member

About all you need to know. There are times that you need to cast further to reach fish but most people try to cast further than they need. If you are reading water and have an idea where the fish are you would know how far to cast. No sense in casting 80 feet when the fish are 20 feet from you. I am as guilty as anyone of this. Something that hit home with me was when a guide told me that fisherman put on waders wade deep and try to cast to the middle or other side of the river, others float the river so they can fish the banks.......go figure.

Kent Lufkin and Old406Kid like this.
  4. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

If you are close to Marysville you are close to Pacific Flyfishers or Avid Angler. Use your local fly shops as they are an incredible resource and they won't be around if people continue to patronize the big box stores. If you were close to Bellingham, Confluence Fly shop has some great teachers as well! Rick

Anil likes this.
  5. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

PH.....You should be able to cast that setup in the 60/70 foot range.

6. plecoptera419

plecoptera419 Active Member

This!!! Mark is spot on here. First of all, most rod manufacturers are underrating there rods these days. Most rods are underrated by a full line weight or more.

With that said, I would highly suggest getting out a calculator, a measuring tape, some pennies, then reading this http://www.common-cents.info/part1.pdf , and then use this (the simplified version) http://www.common-cents.info/CCS_basic_Layout_1.pdf to find more accurately, how heavy a line it will take to load your rod properly. Then buy a line that matches your actual rod rating. Not what it says on the blank. You can use this http://www.affta.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/fly_line_weight_specs.pdf as a reference for grain weights of lines, and then buy a line from a manufacturer that actually publishes grain weight specs for their lines and match it to your rod. Rio is pretty good about this as well as a few others. The rest simply comes down to practice, and perfecting your technique.

I have found the common cents system to be an accurate method for matching fly rods and lines, and have found every rod I own to be underrated by at least one full rod weight. My six weights are actually seven weights, and my seven weight is an 8 weight. I'm not suggesting overlining your rod by any means, but I am suggesting that a matched line and rod will improve your casting as long as your technique is correct.

7. Thom Collins

Thom Collins Active Member

A friend of mine who just passed use to tell this story. He was fishing some blue ribbon water a few years back. Waded out about waist deep and started fishing. An older guy appeared at the bank and asked how the fishing was. My friend replied that he had failed to even get a half hearted bite. The old man said that fishing was lights out just yesterday. Jerry asked in frustration, "Where are these fish?!" The old man replied, "Just about right where your standing."

8. jwg

jwg Active Member

A friend checked out one of his least favorite rods using the CCS approach.

Discovered it was marked two line weights off.

He lined it properly and it became one of his favorite rods.

J

9. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

the way I've always looked at it is, you should be able to cast and present your fly in a distance thats comfortable for you. If you can reliably make 35 foot casts that are accurate and efficiently turn over your fly, but you struggle with say... a 50' cast, your going to fish more effectivly with your short cast. If all you do is try and bomb out long casts but don't have the skills to do it, your just going to get frustrated and have a shitty day on the water.Presentation is the most important anyway. As you fish and gain experience, it will all come together and your be casting fine with time. I don't think Rajeff could cast 250' his first day out.

that being said, I'd say with a average 5 weight trout rod if you can cast 50ish feet with minimal false casting and without many tailing loops you should be good to go in most situations.

10. snowstory2

snowstory2 New Member

I'm pretty new to fly fishing, as well, but All I want to share according to my personal experience is that the very 1st salmon I caught was happened when I was untangling my fly line with my egg fly in the running water about 20' down stream from me.

rory likes this.
  11. later_Peter

later_Peter Active Member

if you figure that "the fish" is around the "other side of the river" then figure if you're on that side of the river all is reversed... it's in presentation more so than the distance... you only need to put the fly where the fish is... no further.

12. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

That's right. You can cast as far as you are Abel to but you only need to cast we're the fish are. It's fun to yank all the line off the reel and see what you can do. I wouldn't worry to much about it, I would work on accuracy and presentation.

13. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Home Page:
    Has anyone suggested learning to double haul? If not, well, learn that technique.

As to long casts, I find that 100 foot or longer casts are ok if you are swinging a streamer, but at that distance I have a hard time hooking up with fish rising to a dry fly or nibbling on a nymph. 30 to 60 feet is in the sweet spot.

14. later_Peter

later_Peter Active Member

double haul is a little tough for most beginners... "the agony of defeat"

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  15. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

In golf there is the old adage "Drive for show... putt for dough". For most of the western trout rivers, being able to accurately cast and mend manage 40-50 feet of line is all one needs. I'd spend more time refining and fussing the business end of the line than worrying about casting distance.