How much backing to put on?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Idaho Mike, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Gregor 42

Gregor 42 New Member

Absolutely the foolproof method. If you don't have a line winder, you can always use a variable speed drill with a dowel or another reel to take it off and reversing the procedure. A bit more more work but well worth it. You'll be sorry if you cut your backing and find out you should have used more. Yes you can splice it, but the fewer knots/splices the better imo. Just remember not to fill the reel completely because when everything is wet for one thing, it will take up more space.

I even had a fly shop put backing and line on a reel for me and they guessed the amount of backing, spliced it to the fly line(quite an elaborate splice by the way) spooled the fly line and didn't have enough room.They missed the fact that the line was 110 feet instead of 90..........had to redo the whole thing.

Good luck.

2. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Member

I also like to set up all my reels with a 6" Blind Splice Loop at the end of the 30lb. Dacron backing for easy loop to loop line changes.

http://midcurrent.com/videos/tying-the-blind-spliced-loop/

GG

fredaevans likes this.
  3. Gregor 42

Gregor 42 New Member

That's what I use now as well. Goes through the guides very smoothly when the fish take you into the backing, which is most of the time with my Atlantics anyway.

4. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

As Englehart explained: the way to get a perfect fit is to first load the line and then the backing onto the reel, in reverse order. You won't know exactly much backing you have, but so what? To do this, you should have a few empty spools, on a large, cheap reel.

And how much backing is enough? The majority of steelhead and salmon I've caught took out no backing. But occasionally, in the course of your angling career, you'll meet a strong, antsy fish that will completely change the run length average.

5. Evan Salmon

Evan Salmon Active Member

You were joking? You mean I memorized that for nothing? Man, I melted down two calculators trying to figure out how much to put on my CLA!

6. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

I just reel until I get bored.