I want a new reel...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Roper, Aug 18, 2013.

1. ICHI

ICHI Member

There's so many to chose from. I have a 4 wt sage in platinum on a sage one. All from Stillwater

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Galvan standard 2.5 or 3.0 or an Older series Or is battle kill large arbor size II. I would be delighted to let you test drive one of each.

3. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

I own an Orvis Battenkill II that's probably 15 years old and other than a few scratches and dings works as good as new. I slipped and dented the spool up on Kelly Creek. Leland at the Bellevue store sent it back to Orvis and they straightened it out. Works good as new and no charge! In the meantime I bought an Orvis Access II - basically the replacement for the disc drag Battenkill. A great reel for $150 and I expect it'll last forever.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

We all recommend what works for us's. There are a good selection here for you to go spend your hard earned Boeing Bucks on. Have fun spending my friend.

5. Jslo

Jslo @troutset

I like the used/older Lamson's. I actually have a couple Velocitys that are amazing. I don't know the exact years, but they function amazing and one of them I picked up off FleaBay for 86 bucks shipped with WF4F in great condition already one it! I vote do a fleabay for a Lamson Velocity or better 1.5...I may even do a little search for ya and see what I find. I'll post back. Hard to go wrong with Lamson, they guarantee for life period. Send it in, and it'll be back fixed and in perfect shape. I have 3 Lamson reels (full disclosure).

Robert Engleheart likes this.
  6. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

find a used CFO

7. Jslo

Jslo @troutset

Lamson Hard Alox Velocity 1.5

here it is on FleaBay! This is a reel you will have a long time. Auction ends in 15 min lol.

Disclaimer: (I have nothing to do with or no knowledge of this seller or reel...just a believe in Lamson's at a value price).

8. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Go Lamson or go home. Other than that, I have no strong opinions on the matter.

Jslo and Bob Triggs like this.
  9. Fishee

Fishee Active Member

Roper likes this.
  10. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

No matter what you get, you'll forget it anyway. I do like my 3 wt. large arbor Battenkill. Just bring the coupons....

Spendy? From the "I bought a new shotgun" guy.....

It will be interesting to see what you settle on for the new reel.

MB

Ed Call and Roper like this.
  11. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Spend as little as possible !! Remember only Goobers over spend !!

Roper likes this.
  12. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I bought a Maryat really cheap. It is awesome on my 4 wt. It doesn't have a disc drag but I've never needed one when using it even though I've caught some stout fish in the 20" range with it as well as one steelhead hooked by accident.

13. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Are you calling my friend Roper a Goober?:D

Steve, in the years I spent steelhead fishing on the forks of the Lewis River, Washougal, Kalama, Wind River, Umpqua, Deschutes, Klickitat, Toutle, Prince of Wales Island and others I have probably forgotten, I never owned a disc drag reel. The biggest steelie I ever landed was 16# with numerous fish in the 8#-12# range. I always thought that the palming rim was the greatest reel improvement ever. Then I heard about disc drags but always kind of equated them with automatic transmissions.

I can state unequivocally that you don't need a disc drag to catch big fish and I doubt that the early gods of steelhead fishing like Haig-Brown ever used one. And they fished during the golden age of steelhead before we had to deal with hatchery brats. I'm not putting the knock on disc drags, I own several and like them. Just saying that the guys that came before us caught more and bigger fish without them because there were more and bigger fish to be caught and they were successful with the gear they had. "Run what you brung" is how we described it in drag racing.

Ive

Kent Lufkin, Roper and nailbender like this.
  14. Brooks Werner

Brooks Werner Member

I only have about 6 months of use on it so far, but my Otto's Yampa reel has been great. About $100 for a CNC'd reel. Only drawback is they're made overseas, but for those of us that don't have a lot of $$ but love the sport, I think these guys are a great option. I've even had it in the salt. Mine is setup for a 5/6wt, but the smaller size would probably be perfect for what you're looking for.

15. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

I will bet that you would get many years of great service out of the little Abel trout series, and not too pricey when you look at the quality.