If you saw this sign....would you turn around??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Vladimir Steblina, Feb 27, 2014.

1. nailbender

nailbender Active Member

A hand held gps will give you an answer very fast. Like Jim said I have found quite a few signs that are on public lands. Its always nice to double check with a map.

2. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

It would 100% depend on how long the road was before I came across this sign

Bill Aubrey and Ron McNeal like this.
  3. Topstoy

Topstoy Member

I run into this around here, the land on both sides of the road is private, yet the road is public and leads to a WDFW access. Does cut down a bit on the fishing pressure. You really need to ensure that the road is not private and if unsure verify or stay out.

Ed Call likes this.
  4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I would be tempted to drive on in. It looks public because of the grading of the road for one thing. Just drive in and ask. Or, tell them you're the potential new "mail carrier" in the area getting to know where things are. (Mailmen travel on private roads.) It doesn't look like a private driveway for one thing. The zoning where I live defines a "public road" as one which serves (well, I kind of forgot, but something like 2 or more homes). So, the mailman uses the road, the garbage men use the road, the UPS people use the road, the meter reader, etc.

5. tkww

tkww Member

The road looks impressively graded and well-maintained if it is in fact a private road. There is no attempt to block the road itself--no gate, no barrel put in the middle of it, etc. And the sign makes no mention of the road. There are plenty of private road signs available. None of these things are guarantees, but it smells like BS.

fredaevans likes this.
  6. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

If i had been there before, i would have never looked at the sign.
    If i knew where i was heading and had confirmed directions i wouldn't even slow down.
    If i was lost, i would pull a 180.
    If looking for a specific area and thought it was down that road, i would proceed.

7. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I'd honor the sign until I knew if the sign was false or accurate. First time with no prior knowledge, I'd turn around.

8. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

That looks like a driveway in northern Nebraska no shit !:D

9. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    Other folks have expressed my opinion -
    1. It's way too well maintained to be anything but a public road, but that's only a guess, not a fact.
    2. I'd check it out on maps, GPS, etc before I drove over that cattle guard.
    3. The sign doesn't mean crap unless it's backed up by a deed.
    4. What's likely is the road is public and the land is private.

Trapper

fredaevans and Tacoma Red like this.
  10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

As a answer to the question. I would keep going. I see these all the time here in Montana. The road is open but the land along the road isn't.

11. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

The land's private on either side of the road but the road is public/or leased by the WDFW. I may have seen that sign on some of my travels.

12. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    Thanks for the honest replies.

I have been a professional Forester for over 40 years. Thirty of those years were with public agencies.

The one thing that really pissed me off were people posting public land as private. This steals recreational opportunities from the public, waste their time and efforts to use THEIR public lands, and it is a waste of taxpayer dollars removing these signs and dealing with illegal posters.

According to my State Representative posting of no trespassing signs is considered trespassing. Most agencies just tear down the signs or write letters asking landowners to remove gates, etc.

However, my first day on the job with BLM we ran into a substantial gate blocking a BLM owned road. The Forest Technician merely wrapped a chain around the gate and pulled it out with a winch and left a note saying this is a public road DO NOT GATE IT AGAIN!! That was cheap and effective use of taxpayer dollars. Unfortunately, that is the exception not the rule for dealing with private trespass on public land.

As noted in your honest responses most of the public wants to do the right thing. Having people post illegal trespass signs breaks down the entire system of trust that this society is really based upon.

The road in question is the mainline entrance road to the Seeps Wildlife Area. IT is public road, bordering private land.. Knowing where it is most of us would have driven through the sign. The road is too high a standard for a private road, however, that nice touch of wrapping the cattle guard with tires gives the impression of a rancher fix. IF I had encounter that sign in another situation without maps I might have stopped.

However, IF it was your first time in the seeps.........70% of the fly fisherman would have turned around and 64% of the hikers would have done the same.

On federal land all our signs stated "Forest Service land BEHIND this sign" or on COE lands "You are entering public lands" or "You are leaving public lands". With the sign again, facing the appropriate direction.

Yesterday, I ran into a public that was stopped for wandering on unposted private land in the area by the game warden. That warden drove right pass that sign without a second glance!

I talked to the State Representative about a new law raising penalties for posting of public land. However, I now think maybe the better solution is to update the existing law.

For example, specify in law that the road and land must be posted with separate signs. Stating No Trespassing Private Land or No Trespassing Private Road or both where appropriate. I have seen MANY landowners use the posting of private land to CLOSE public roads by careful posting of their signs. Similar to the Seeps signs.

The second would be the landowners name MUST be on the no trespassing sign. It must be the same name on the assessors records in the county. That would make it much easier to prove illegal trespass and save time and taxpayer dollars searching for the appropriate individual or firm.

The third would be to use the Federal signing standards. That is the land behind the sign is closed. Just a few hundred feet up from this picture was a well signed no trespassing with two signs at 90 degrees from each other and the name of the ranch below the No Trespassing sign.

The fourth would be on public land....in this case it would apply to DNR, a DFW, and other publically managed lands ONLY official signs with agency logo's can be posted restricting public use. No more hand lettered or signs posted by permit holders.

Any thoughts on this proposal??

jwg, fredaevans, Bill Aubrey and 3 others like this.
  13. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Interesting. I made a post where I joked I had put up the signs to keep my favorite fishing places secure from other anglers but then I read that the sign is indeed bogus... so much for my joke... I deleted the post.

Amazing that someone would try that. But on the other hand, it is certainly easy to buy signs and post them anywhere you don't want any fishing competition. There's a sign on The Siletz where I once fished for steelhead that now has a No Trespassing sign and I wonder if it is legit or not.

I tried calling the county land office and they were of no help.

How DO we know if a No Trespassing sign is on the up and up?

14. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

What is on the other side? County maintained road? Is there a watershed at the bottom on the other side? Did I remember my fishing license? Do I have beer?

Jason Rolfe likes this.
  15. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

There is a lot of public land that is posted private.
    Know where you are going before you go. USGS maps