Interesting clip on wolf impact...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Mark Walker, Feb 21, 2014.

1. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I would pay to see that.

2. generic

generic Active Member

This thread, along with others, only exposes how we are so narrow minded/arrogant/insecure/________ at times.

Whether it be wolves, politics, economy, religion, heck even fly rods, fly line, waders, mono vs fluoro, swing vs nymph, and yes indicators or "bobbers" - only go to show how all of us can be either "I'm right, you're wrong" or "I can't believe you'd be so dumb to think that way.".

You know why most of us listen to our choice of talk radio/TV news outlet? Because most of us just want to have the way we think/feel validated. That doesn't mean you're wrong, but it doesn't necessarily mean you're 100% right either. What ever happen to actual investigative disclosure - about any topic?

It's hard to go into most things open minded any more, because heck.... we might just be wrong about the way we are thinking at the time. And nobody likes to be wrong - but I ask why? Isn't that when we learn the most?

When I try a certain way of fishing (thinking "Man, I'm going to slay them today!") and come away catching very little or nothing, why wouldn't I change my tactics? "Well that's stupid Kaiserman! Everyone does that!" Well, try applying that to certain ways that you feel strong about, yet have no actual experience in the matter. Wow, what a concept!

You know what, let me be one of the first guys to say, "I've been there, and I've done that.". Not meaning, "Hey, look at me! I'm so balanced and mature, I look at everything with an open mind.". No, "I've been there, and I've done that", meaning I've voiced my opinion on here without actually investigating/trying out/______ .

However, saying "This thing or that thing doesn't really bother me, so I'm cool." is well... a passive way to say (somehow) that you're a real "balanced" individual.

Really all you're saying is, "Because it doesn't affect me, screw everyone else.".
    That doesn't help anyone either... Just because it doesn't affect you, maybe it is actually affecting others. That's a very myopic way to look at life in my opinion.

Just one example: Say farmer Joe loses 25% of his cattle because wolves are attacking his herd. Well, it isn't affecting me, so whatever man, I'm cool.

Now, should we go kill all the wolves? No. However maybe, just maybe we could drop our "Save the whales/kill them all/It doesn't affect me" view points and approach these issues.... with an open mind.

shotgunner likes this.
  3. psycho

psycho Active Member

So what would hungry wolves do in downtown Seattle except hide and look for dogs or cats. Oh I forgot south of the line they feed on humans and children.:D:D They also dress up like granny and eat pubescent girls.:eek:

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  4. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

1. Man can manage wolves but can't manage "deer" although it could have something to do with the identification of "deer".
    2. Someone's version of "the truth" is colored by his/her stance on the issue. Or, opinions are like @$$holes - everybody's got one.
    3. Myself, I put wolves and sea lions and seals in the same category. I'd buy a tag if one were available, but that's just me.
    4. Maybe we should revive that '70's bumper sticker: "Nuke an unborn gay whale (wolf?) for Jesus"

I do have some empathy for those poor bastards who think they're farming when they are actually raising free wolf food for the state.

Pass the popcorn

Kevin J. Burnham likes this.
  5. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Well after watching that video, it looks like we can balance the fish and game budget by firing as many employees of the game department as necessary to balance their budget and replace them with wolves which seem to cure every ill an ecosystem ever had.

Here is an interesting article on this topic. If you think we have disagreements on here regarding this issue, read the comments. Start at the bottom and work up.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...wstone-wolves-threatens-area-renaissance.html

6. jwg

jwg Active Member

I don't think the original clip was about wolves.

It was about how interconnected everything is within an ecosystem, to an amazing degree.

I think an appreciation for nature is something most of us share on this forum.

Jay

7. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

It must be true what they say,History does tend to repeat its self.
    Disclaimer--No govenment funds were used in this study.

8. Karry

Karry Lost in Nontana

One thing they did fail to state is how the fires of the late 80's and early 90's affected vegetation in Yellow stone and the surrounding areas. That Wolfs were all ready in Mt. Id. Wy. Ut.

9. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    I've made up my mind to not involve myself in any more canis lupus debates, regardless of which sub species. But, (there's always a but after a statement like this one isn't there?) I will say that I'm seeing firsthand, the elk adapting in ways I find amazing.

Trapper

10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I want to see elk adapt by growing fanged teeth and sharper hooves and wearing antlers year around to better level the playing field with those pesky wolves. Wolves hunt in packs, like gangbangers, so it's only fair that the elk adapt appropriately for this asymmetrical warfare. I encountered a large herd of elk Sunday and shooed them away four times. But just think if elk stopped acting like dumb cattle. If stuff like that happens, I too will need advice on a suitable holster for my hand cannon while hiking and fishing.

Sg

11. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

I think the stock market also went up....

12. Karry

Karry Lost in Nontana

Just ran a cross this.
    BOISE, IDAHO — Idaho wildlife officials say it cost $30,000 to kill 23 wolves last month in northern Idaho.

Idaho Fish and Game announced earlier this week the money is coming from licenses the agency sells.

The agency last month said USDA Wildlife Service agents killed the wolves using a helicopter in the Lolo elk zone near the Montana border to improve elk survival in the area.

It’s the sixth time the agency has taken action to kill wolves in the Lolo zone in the past four years. Forty-eight wolves have been killed in all.

The state’s predator management plan calls for killing wolves when Idaho Fish and Game determines they are causing conflicts with people or domestic animals, or that they are a significant factor in declining numbers of elk or deer.

13. Sean Matthews

Sean Matthews Member

As a side note to this, this is the first time in decades that the lake near Isle Royal has been completely frozen allowing wolves from Canada to come down to interbreed on the island, hopefully this will limit the inbreeding a little.