Is Cabelas fly rods any good?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Akuriko, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

Hi, i was reading my cabelas fly fishing catalog since bass pro hasn't come out with there's yet and i was curious, is cabelas fly rods any good? are they worth the money?

2. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Yes and no. And some are. IMO

3. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Asking about a general brand, not a specific rod/price point, you are going to get the full spectrum of answers.

The best way to discuss and review a rod is to pick a specific make and model. Check reviews online and ask for personal feedback from members.
    Rods are specific to a persons ability/style etc etc.

I have a RLS906-4, its a great rod for throwing sculpins, leeches and minnows.

Bottom line, take it for a test drive, throw some bugs around before you buy it, if ever possible.

4. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

I went through this same thing last year. So I will make this crystal clear for you. YES Cabela's rods are just fine. Go buy one and start fishing.

Steve Unwin likes this.
  5. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast la flama blanca

I have a couple of their Stowaway rods and really like them. I purchased them for very specific applications and didn't plan to use them much, but they get used all the time.
    Some of their combo packages are really good deals.

6. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Yes, they are just fine. Are they as good as rods costing 3x as much, no. But if you can afford a cabelas rod, and it gets you out fishing then go for it.

I also have a Stowaway 6wt that I really like. I've heard good things about the Three Forks rods too.

At worst you replace it later with something nicer, and you have a good backup rod available.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

cabezon and triploidjunkie like this.
  7. Theron

Theron Active Member

I have a Stowaway 6 that I bought because I could keep it in the tour pack on my Harley. It is actually a pretty nice rod. I also have a Genesis two piece in a 4wt which I use for Blue Gill fishing here in Nebraska. It will probably get less use after my move to the PNW but it is also a decent rod. Are there better rods out there? Sure, but for the price they are nice rods.

8. ScottP

ScottP Active Member

Bought a Stowaway 6wt years ago when the airlines started giving me grief about my 2pc rod tube. Think I payed $95 and I've been very happy with it.

Regards,
    Scott

9. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I am using Cabela's L-Tech rods in both 4 and 5 wts for all of my lake fishing. They are powerful and smooth and can carry a lot of sinking line in the air for those long cast. I just love 'em and sold my TFO rods once I got these. They are almost as light as an Orvis Helios but cost less than 1/3 of the price. Their best feature may be the reel seat! It is the finest and most positive I have ever seen. The 25 year warranty ain't bad either.

Ive

Patrick Gould and jordan101 like this.
  10. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

Hi, i was curious because of the catalog they have, i have have redington classic trout rods i was thinking to buy some more rods and i don't know what brands are good and so forth and i am skeptical of a company at times that has there own line of gear, i shouldn't be because i buy and test out all the time various other store brands like the walmart brand, safeway brand or kroger brand to name a few. Right now i'm trying to get a 23 yo disabled girl started on fly fishing and i keep looking for a rod for her. :)

11. JayH

JayH Active Member

I second the L-Tech endorsement. I tend to strong-arm a little more than I need to and the rod complements that. And the reel seat, no doubt!

Patrick Gould likes this.
  12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Yes, Cabela's rods are any good, along with most all other brands on the market. It comes down to what you want in a rod, and why you want particular attributes. Cabela's offers fly rods from $49 to over $300. I've had 3 Cabela's Three Forks model rods, their cheapest line I think, in 6, 8, and 10 wts. The action is not my favorite, but they are similar to the most popular fast action rods being offered. The rods work just fine for the purposes I bought them for. I bought 4-piece models (well the 6 wt is 5-piece) for travel rods, and the fast action is good for salt water use.

Sg

13. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

Thanks, i assume then the cabelas reels are just as good then?

14. JayH

JayH Active Member

I like my RLS.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

15. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

This is where I will answer with "it depends". My rule of thumb is the bigger the fish you are going for the more you should pay.

cuponoodle breakfast likes this.