Is Cabelas fly rods any good?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Akuriko, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Just as good as some, better than some, and not nearly as good as some others. Like I said in your other thread. You need to know enough about what attributes in a rod you want and are looking for. Otherwise it's difficult to appreciate the differences. Since you seem to be at the stage of not understanding the differences, I think a really expensive rod might be wasted on you until such time as you increase your knowledge and understanding about fly rods.

Sg

2. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    Hi Akuriko,

What length/weight rod are you seeking for your friend? I might have a spare rod and possibly a spare line. Don't mind giving them away for a good reason. Feel free to PM me or let those of us on the forum know. Best, B

3. SRCgary

SRCgary New Member

I have bought 4 of the three forks cabelas rods. For me they are perfect, I can beat the hell out of them and not care to much. My favorite is the 9' 6wt and I think I paid $79.00 for it on sale. I like to put my money into lines and the reels. However I am a huge fan of the plastic Redington Crosswater reel simply for the ability to fish the salt every weekend without burning up a nice reel. For $150.00 a cabelas combo is hard to beat, and lets be honest a $400.00 rod does not = more fish. When your tailgate or dog smashes the thing you don't have to sell a kidney to buy a new one.

KevinLS and jordan101 like this.
  4. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

I had a Cabela's 11'3" 6wt 3-pc for many years, before the "switch rod" fad. It helped me bring many a summer steelhead to hand, and it was a good saltwater beach rod, too. I broke the tip section a few years ago, and they replaced the whole rod with the newer Lsi model for a nominal fee...and this newer rod is great, too.

5. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

They will cast, fish and last fine. And as others here have said, they are better than some and not as good as others.

What they won’t do is support your local fly shop.

If you live within reasonable driving distance of a fly shop you might find that you can get as good or better rod at the same price point. Chances are you’ll be buying it from someone who knows what they are talking about and can give you sound advice and the opportunity to cast it before you buy it. You will almost certainly get better service and you’ll be helping out your community by purchasing from a small business from someone that probably shares your passion for fly fishing.

I’m not anti-Cabelas by any means, and I’m not going to attempt to tell anyone how to spend their money. I understand financial constraints can sometimes force decisions. I started with a $30 Southbend combo kit (honestly that little rod is still a guilty pleasure) that no self respecting fly shop would even carry.

But now if I can purchase it from my local fly shop I do. When you compare the overall value of the purchase (i.e. product value, customer service, knowledgeable staff) I think in most cases you come out way ahead buying from the local fly shop and owe it to yourself to at least give them a shot.

Randall Clark and sean_k like this.
  6. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

Keep in mind I have not caught shit yet so I could probably get by with a 2wt fly reel bought from the bargain cave to fish for steelhead.

7. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

I bought a cabelas reel brand new that fell apart in a couple months (they gave my money back) and have another that has been fine. The more expensive ones are nice but there is better value out there in reels in my opinion.

8. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

As other have noted, Cabelas rods will work just fine. But if I were to buy a new rod from Cabelas with a low price point, it would be a Redington Classic Trout 5wt 4 piece in either 8'6" or 9'. I own a 5wt and 3wt Redington CT and love the crap out of them. In the summer, I typically only fish with the 3wt CT for trout and am very pleased with it. The Redington Rise reel is also a sturdy design.

Cabelas reels are hit-and-miss. I've seen them do great or fall apart with ease. A Lamson Konic would be a great reel with a low price. They are designed and built well and look rugged. On the same note, a lot of Cabelas rods & reels are outsourced to other manufactures such as Lamson, St. Croix, TFO, etc. IMO you won't go wrong buying gear from Cabelas, and they have an accepting return policy if something happens to the gear. But, maybe you could check out your local fly shops for used or consignment gear to keep your options open.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  9. KevinLS

KevinLS Active Member

My experience: Rods are great. I've had several $50 Three Forks 3wts and love them (1-2 year warranty). I have a Traditional 2 8wt. Dig it. Twice I've lost the three forks due to split rods though. For $120 ish I bought TFO - Lifetime warranty is great. I'm all for inexpensive rods and agree reels and line are where to spend a little money.

Reels: Any cheap reel I don't care for. But getting to the $40-$50 dollar range it gets okay as stated earlier. I have some cables reels from Lamson that are half the price of their brand name counterparts and excellent quality and warranty.

Good Luck!

10. Paul Voelker

Paul Voelker Member

When I first started fly fishing I bought the Cabelas stuff since I had been looking through their catalogs for years. I had the Three Forks and another one of their rods that I don't remember the name of. I was originally impressed with the action of the rods but after some light use they both fell apart. The reel seats would just come apart while casting and the reel would fall in the river. I never took advantage of their warranty, I just gorilla glued them back together which worked but have since given them away to other beginners. Keep in mind this was years ago and these were the lower end rods. I thought I heard once that they contract out to other manufacturers to make their gear and put the Cabelas logo on it but I may be wrong.

11. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

If you're truly on a tight budget they are a great option, but do the local shop a favor and buy all your misc supplies from them.

I own two that I got second hand for some ridiculously cheap price. One is a wind river and one is a three forks. Both cast well and seem like they're made well. No rod tubes, but they were so cheap that it doesn't matter.

While chatting with super guide Tim Irish one day I found out that the L-Tech was one of his favorite rods. He had run a lodge in Stehekin and could only shop by mail order so he went with Cabela's. He thought it was one of the best fast action rods out there. That's quite an endorsement from an expert caster and fly fisherman who had access to pro deals on just about any rods he wanted.

12. Jim Paget

Jim Paget Active Member

I am pretty new at all of this and I learned a lesson last month. luckily the lesson wasn't too expensive. I saw an ad for a Sage rod for $125. It was exactly as described in the ad - older but unused. Turned out the action was completely wrong for me. One instructor described it as feeling like a bamboo rod, even though it was graphite.

Moral of the story - the brand doesn't mean anything. Whether or not it works for you is all that matters.

13. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

I also like the L-tech, but if you don't know exactly what you want you are better going to the local fly shop, you will be happier with the result. When you have a lot of fly rods and can afford to make a mistake, that's different. I bought some of their big game reels that were made by Fin-nor that were a copy of the Fin-nor light weight and they are bullet proof. But they came in a Fin-nor box and all the parts are interchangeable with The Finn-nors. That is the kind of bargain you have to look for.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  14. Cole L

Cole L Fish Fiend

I have a lsi 9ft 8wt that's nice, good components and very sturdy. I feel like I read somewhere that the rods are produced by G loomis but correct me if I'm wrong.

15. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

Actually I heard that cabelas got the three companies of sage, winston, and gloomis to collaborate all there knowledge together to design there rods!:rolleyes: