Is "Faster" really better? - the marketing Kool-Ade...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Greg Armstrong, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

I have an array of rods that vary in action, and they all see use for the intended purpose that I bought them for, including multiples of the same rod weights, but just in different actions.
    Yeah, for certain beaches when I fish for salmon or warm water where wind is usually a factor, I use a fast rod to help build line speed as well as help punch the wind without the line collapsing. At another beach and on a certain river that I love, when fishing for the same salmon, I use a medium to medium fast to help protect the tippet and also because it's more fun to play the fish on it and wind is not a factor.
    Same goes for my trout rods- two 5wts, one slow to medium that I use for lobbing nymphs and indi's, as well as for light dries, and another medium-fast that I use for chucking streamers and punching wind.

I don't think that the whole 'Faster is better' mentality as an all-round direction for rod technology is a good thing, but I find certain rods and their actions have their place to help ME fish more effectively.
    I also find that certain rods pair better with certain lines, and that one line I use on one of my 5 or 8wt's doesn't necessarily cast as well on the other of the same weight.

Though I do own a fair quiver of rods, I don't own any glass and am plan on getting a 3 or 4wt Butter Stick or something.

2. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Sooooo, longer is better! Huh, who wooda thunk it.

3. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Neither are 'better'. When I've switched around from slow rods to fast, I find that I waste a lot of precious fishing time adjusting my timing to the each rod's idiosyncracies....it reminds me of the old adage "beware the man who owns just one gun". I'd rather master either a fast rod, or a slow rod....knowing I'd likely not master both.

Olive bugger likes this.
  4. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

There is a point were speed is necessary.

However there is a river I fish were my little 7'6" echo carbon 3 wt can easily go bank to bank!

There are also rivers that while to big for that rod, have the main channel max thigh deep, and it shallows out very quickly.

Fast is definitely not the best for all situations, and I believe that they have been developed more with lakes and atypical rivers in mind.
    Not many rivers I know have the room to cast long distances on the back cast, or the fish holding water 100 feet out.

5. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

I own medium, medium fast, and fast action rods. I see plus' in all of them.

6. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

The marketing majors are depending on our continued, myopic obedience... don't let them down. Personally, I think speed is overrated.

Kent Lufkin likes this.