It's That Time Of Year!!! SRCs on the Cowlitz!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Breck, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Breck

Breck The Whisky Guy

Will it make you feel better if I change it? Before now, I had never heard of a "Kinney Reverse Spider". Upon Google imaging the two patterns, my fly has aspects of both and neither. Perhaps I should give myself credit for creating my own Reverse Spider pattern?

Peyton00 and DanielOcean like this.
  2. Breck

Breck The Whisky Guy

If you compare them with the fly rod for scale, the smallest was about 13"-14". That's "pan size" in my book. I generally will release any fish under 14" or so.

3. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Yeah, thats the worst part about taking the kids fishing for stockers...white "see-thu" meat. I bet these stocker SCR are nice and pink/orange.

Breck likes this.
  4. Breck

Breck The Whisky Guy

The meat is beautifully colored and very tasty. Lots of fat, too. One of my favorite fish to put in the smoker. I also like to fillet them and then remove the skin from the fillets. Dredge in seasoned flour, then a dip in a wash of evaporated milk and eggs, then a coating of bread crumbs. They then go into a glass baking dish with a stick of melted butter and into the oven to fry in said butter for about 20 min.

David Dalan likes this.
  5. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Now that sounds good! I've never removed skin from fillets (salmon), is it difficult?

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Whatever.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

It's still a reversed spider. Just the feathers are a different color. People always are changing feathers on flies, but in the end they are still what they are.

8. Breck

Breck The Whisky Guy

Not terribly difficult. A razor-sharp fillet knife is the key. Put the fillet skin side down on a cutting board. Start at the tail end of the fillet. I usually grip the very end with my fingertips of my left hand and run the knife at a slight angle between the skin and meat. Usually comes off pretty easily.

9. Breck

Breck The Whisky Guy

I'll go ahead and change it for you. I would hate to feel responsible for ruining someone's day with my reckless mis-application of fly pattern credit. I'll change it in the OP to read "Kinney Reverse Spider", then all of your butthurt can just melt away. Please stand by....

Kyle Krieg, Peyton00 and tinman207 like this.
  10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Isn't there a limit on the amount of those Sea runs. I know the size limit is over 12". Plus the take is 2 fish, If you are fishing in a lake and the stream the take is 5 fish. But you didn't say you were in a lake also.

Plus not many people here show pictures of dead fish. And Showing pictures of dead fish that are protected damn near every place else is kind of frowned upon.

11. Breck

Breck The Whisky Guy

Oh boy, here we go. There is a daily bag limit, per angler of hatchery SRCs on the Cowlitz of 5 fish. I would never retain a fish under 12" anyway. If you look at the photo, there isn't a fish under 13" to 14".

These fish were legally harvested and eaten, not wasted. If I put up a photo of a legal limit of hatchery fish, I really don't give a fiddler's fart if it's "kind of frowned upon". Far too many people around here are quick to criticize and spray sanctimonious negativity all over threads. Excuse me for wanting to share something with my peers that gives me a lot of fun and entertainment. They are called "harvest trout" for a reason, folks.

12. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Seems like they cleared that up when they mentioned these are hatchery fish. They're even clipped. Also, thanks for sharing Breck.

Breck likes this.
  13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

They are also called harvest trout in the Stilly but you have to release them. They are called Harvest trout because they return to the rivers about the time they harvest the crops. This was the way it was explained to me over 50 years ago.

Gary Knowels likes this.
  14. Breck

Breck The Whisky Guy

Like I said earlier in this thread, I would NEVER kill a wild trout, whether it was legal to do so or not. These are HATCHERY fish. They return to the Cowlitz every year by the hundreds of thousands. These SRCs are a widely ignored fishery on the Cowlitz. In fact, most of the gear salmon/steelhead guys consider them a nuisance as they tend to relentlessly steal bait intended for larger species. My retaining 5 fish on a couple of days throughout the year doesn't even make the tiniest dent in the population. I will not apologize for legally retaining hatchery trout when they come into the system in great abundance.

Peyton00 and underachiever like this.
  15. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

Nice post. I thought I'd heard they had or were going to discontinue the Cowlitz SRC program. I guess that is not the case?