Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Junk Food

NFR 
3K views 81 replies 41 participants last post by  Nick Clayton 
#1 ·
OK, I'm coming out and admitting I have a salty junk food habit. It spikes during certain times of the year and especially on fishing trips where my wife is not doing the shopping. In addition to the snacks, I indulged my craving for Johnsonville Original Brats... solidly charred on the Weber. Served on a micro-wave heated bun and slathered with spicy brown mustard, I nearly passed out yesterday in culinary euphoria at our backyard BBQ. At the pre event shopping, I grabbed Rolled Gold twisted pretzels -- anyone else besides me put the heavy salted side facing towards the tongue? And then there is my ultimate favorite... Ruffles with Ridges chips with French Onion Dip. My only salvation is that I'm married and my wife is a healthy eating advocate... thank you Jesus for Superbowls, holidays and fishing trips. :D

OK, I've fessed up... what's in your pantry?

Reactions: Kyle Smith
#6 ·
Shrimp nachos about 9:20pm..

Onions, olives, tomatoes, bacon bits (real ones), shrimp (40-45 count/lb size) tossed in garlic butter and sherry while pre cooking them, sharp cheddar, mozzarella, and cilantro.

After it comes out of the oven I dip it in homemade guacamole with; garlic, onion powder, lime juice, few dots of srirachi, and salt n pepper..

#17 ·
Shrimp nachos about 9:20pm..

Onions, olives, tomatoes, bacon bits (real ones), shrimp (40-45 count/lb size) tossed in garlic butter and sherry while pre cooking them, sharp cheddar, mozzarella, and cilantro.

After it comes out of the oven I dip it in homemade guacamole with; garlic, onion powder, lime juice, few dots of srirachi, and salt n pepper..
I was going to protest that this is not junk food, but in the end, I note that you added some salt. I'm on a low salt diet, so I guess that qualifies this shrimp nacho masterpiece as junk food.
Every once in a while, when I tank up my soobie down at the rez, I'll grab an order of "Jalapeno Poppers" from the deep fried selection.
Beer is junk food. I swore off it at midnight on the 4th. I figure anything that makes you like fireworks must be bad for you.

#10 ·
Small reeses cups. Not the tiny ones that have small bags with 4 of them in it. I'm talking the individual foil wrapped little ones. Those and Peanut M&Ms. Haven't eaten either in any quantity in 10 years or so, but every blue moon I have one. They are still as good.

The secret to the M&Ms is to bite them from the pointy end, remove that half with your teeth like an aztec taking off the skull top about to conduct primitive brain surgery, performing a "peanut-ectomy" again with your teeth, and then eating the empty remaining shell...

#23 ·
When I was in the service and we went to sports by company. We would by ice cream by the pints. None of those little dixie cups. Went to a football game and in the course of the game I ate three pints of Ice Cream. Back in them days I weighted in at about 130 lbs. I could eat anything and not gain a pound. It isn't that way anymore. I look at food and gain weight.

It's so easy to gain and so god damn hard to take it off.

#19 ·
I'll eat just about anything. Just as long as there is N0, Avocado's, Olives, Mushrooms, Anchovies on or in it. I don't really like these things. If this is on a pizza I won't touch it. I also don't like Crab or Oysters. I'm just not a sea food eater. Just picky.

#20 ·
I eat healthy 95% of the time. But my "weakness" is definitely sweets. Love carrot cake, ice cream, reese's, peanut butter cookies, and I never met a cheese cake I didn't like. I also love Monster drinks and trail mix while on the river although I always say trail mix would be better if it were just m&m's.

And 'cause of my sweet tooth, I have to bust my ass in the gym just to stay even.

As far as things that I don't like? Rutabagas and Cucumbers are not my favorite.

#24 ·
Breakfast most days is raisin bran or oatmeal in the winter, but on weekends it's bacon and eggs. Other than being fried, it's probably not very "junky." Is it really lunch if it doesn't have a chocolate chip cookie with it? I tell myself that I want to kick that habit, but it must be a serious habit, cuz I still eat 'em. Dinner is salad, meat, a vegetable, with potatoes, rice, or pasta less often, but man do I luv me some carbs! Not a fan of soda pop; I drink less than one a month. Beer, on the other hand, is a health food compared to soda pop, so I drink a few of those. And wine, a half bottle a night with dinner. Oh, then there's pizza, which is probably junk food, but I cave to it at least once a month. Overall my diet is fairly healthy, but my belt says there's room for improvement.

#25 · (Edited)
Was never addicted to sweets and can avoid them easily. However, I do like Snickers and Reese's quite a bit. My downfall is primarily carbs. I had the best brats on the planet as a kid visiting Wisconsin. Have spent 50 years chasing #2. Gyros on Santorini were PDG. Location helped. Have spent decades looking for the perfect Bolognese recipe, but that's more like religion than junk.

#26 ·
Have spent decades looking for the perfect Bolognese recipe, but that's more like religion than junk.
Can you share the perfect Bolognese recipe, or would that be hotspotting a secret?

I'm a salt tooth, not a sweet tooth. Anything salty greasy is a guilty pleasure.

Also - if said fishing trip involves a strenuous hike, anything tastes phenomenal. A long time favorite in that scenario is tortellini with pesto sauce (and extra olive oil) and pepperoni thrown in (plus dehydrated tomatoes thrown in the tortellini while it's cooking). sitting on a river bank, shoveling carby/cheesy/pesto-ey/salty/pepperoni-fatty tortellini into my pasta hole is one of life's great pleasures. along with some red wine hiked in in a platypus container.

#41 ·
Corn dogs and JoJo's -- use to make a slow fishing day better and a great day on the Cowlitz stellar. We use to stop at the Texaco on Hwy 12 and get some for the ride home.

Gosling's Black Seal, Shellback, Finlaggan, MacCallan cask strength, Balvinie 12-year old, Glenmorangie 18-year old, Hennessey VSOP Cognac, and for cigars I have Black Ops for an every day, along with some Arganese, Hoyo de Monterrey Excaliber, Ave Maria Crusaders, Nubs, La Gloria Cubana Serie R Black, and my fave.... Bolivar Figurados ( don't ask how or where I got them........).
Your junk food is expensive... and dare I say, not very healthy ;).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.