Just got back from Duvall

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Olive bugger, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Is that the one?
    Geez, I was trying to say something nice about the current state of the situation there.
    I'll try the Reubens next time through. Sounds like a bright spot. What's the name of the place?
    I still like Duvall - lots of memories there, and it's still a cool little town on the outskirts of civilization here in the NW in my mind.

2. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Duvall Cafe on Main street about two blocks south of the bridge light.
    East side of the street.

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    The Coffee House? Only other place through there is the Duvall Grill and Taproom. I believe Duvall Grill does have a Reuben, though.

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    The Old School BBQ Bus between Monroe and Sultan beats the pants off Armadillo. Armadillo smells good, but that doesn't change the fact that they use the wrong woods entirely, and their food is often dry and rubbery. It was good the first time I went, but awful the following couple visits.

ten80 likes this.
  5. Olive bugger

You are correct the Duvall GRILL. Don't know why I always call it the Duvall Cafe. Nobody said I was bright.

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Screw the reuben... Have them make you a plate of poutine with sweet potato fries.

7. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

If you had the desire for "upscale" suburbia Buchan was the way to go all across the eastside at that time.

There used to be two stump houses that I knew about. One not too far up Big Rock Rd just before it leveled out on top and the other far up Cherry Valley. There were probably more. I don't know if any of them are still there but I sure hope at least one remains somewhere.

The old Silver Spoon was great. In the summer, Bunny the pastry maker used to put her pies on the front window sills to cool. You could walk by and smell the pies while Bunny leaned out over the pies purposely displaying her assets. Who can resist Mom and Apple pie?

TC

Greg Armstrong and Kent Lufkin like this.
  8. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Ahhh..... Novelty Hill. The first good inland duck hunting spot I had at the beaver ponds. Behring sorta messed that up, that and more people in the state. Some call that "progress".

9. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Somehow I don't think this thread went the way the OP anticipated. It's been fun, though!

I look forward to my next visit to Duvall more than ever now. Of course, I'll have to remember my passport and get some innoculations first, but my mouth is watering for that Rueben sandwich!
    D

10. Olive bugger

It is all good Richard. I was in hopes that Evan would disclose his honey hole, but alas, it looks as though it will remain a mystery.

11. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Richard,
    You really must go. It's a bit off the beaten path, but as I understand it, it has evolved into quite a quaint and bustling little village on the farthest reaches of what is known as "the eastside".
    Rumor has it that most of the old dirty "greasy spoons" have been replaced (with one exception), and it's fairly bursting at the seams with romantic, chique little sidewalk cafes serving the local favorite plate of "to die for" poutine.
    And when your palate has been satiated, you can cast directly from the Main St. sidewalks to the swarms of willing salmon reportedly on their spawning run to the frosty cold headwaters of the mighty Snoqualmie R.! What a way to end the day!
    Duvall, the Paris of the west!
    (all done tongue in cheek - I still like Duvall!).

12. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

"Duvall, the Paris of the west."

I almost lost my lunch on that one.

TC

13. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

The same phrase was originally used to describe Detroit back in the 1880s.

K

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Hey, I've been thru Duvall when it was just a wide spot on the highway. Hell my first time thru there was about 40 years ago. I was headed to the Forks of the Snoqualmie when the S/F jumped out of it's banks and took out part of I 90. Quite a sight to see.

15. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

I tried to donate blood today but they turned me away cuz I have traveled thru duval this past year