License rant

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Itchy Dog, Apr 12, 2013.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I hear ya. It took for what seemed like forever for WA to finally adopt the electronic licensing system. Hell, they had them in MT, ID and Utah for many years before WA got on board -- a 6-8 inch length of paper. Then, stopping at the Cle Elum hardware store one season to renew my license, in route to Lenice, I watch the machine spit-out what looked to be 30" of paper...thought the clerk had screwed something up or the machine had malfunctioned. Nope, 16 folds later, he had it all stuffed into a pouch. He too was shaking his head and we were both probably thinking the same thing... leave it to the state of WA to take a simple idea and improve it. :confused:

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Here's a blast from the past. Before the forest fire drew attention to Yellowstone National Park, the price of a fishing license for the park was.....

wait for it.....

Nothing!

The only requirement was that you signed a document that indicated you read the fishing regulations and they gave you the fishing license. That certainly isn't the case today.

I remember the retailers in West Yellowstone tossing a fit about the fire and claiming their business was ruined. Ironically, the numbers of those who visited the park shot up after the fire, so if anything, the fire increased the retailers business instead of reducing it.

It was after the fire and when the number of visitors increased that the feds started charging for the fishing license. Odd how that worked.

3. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Are you ready for this part? These are the "good ol' days", it will get worse.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  4. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    The amount of crap including passes and licenses stored in my glove box meant it never shut well. I must have snapped the hinge slamming it shut sometime in the last year, so for the last three months it pops open going over a speed bump, driveway, rail line etc. So I locked it shut. Then when i tried to unlock it to get at something I needed, it wouldn't open. Took it to the dealer, they wanted 250 and labor to fix it, which would require an all new glovebox etc. I went home, took the mini-crowbar out, popped the whole door off and am now glovebox free. There's a little shelf in there and alls you can see is discovery and wdfw passses and the car book that came with vehicle. Plus there's more legroom.

5. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

I still have trouble with the policy of not replacing lost or stolen hang tags.

Luke77 and Josh like this.
  6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I only open the glove box in my fishing truck to jam something else inside. I'm not really sure what's in there because I fear opening the thing to look. The mixture of all the crap in there could have mutated into something that would threaten the population of the planet.

Krusty, Old Man and Jim Wallace like this.
  7. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Amen. The only thing I've "discovered" since paying for my Discovery Pass the past two years was that nothing has improved at the places that require them. No improvement in cleanliness, personal or car safety, reduction in tweakers lurking about nor fishing quality. That's what I've "discovered".

8. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

It actually seems that the places that require discover passes not only haven't improved, but have gotten less attention than before. Except to check your pass and write tickets.

9. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    However, I have noticed that the opportunities for parking have improved! Fewer folks using the state parks can translate into making it easier to find that primo parking spot!

Bob Triggs and Alex MacDonald like this.
  10. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Jeez...you really made Old Man's day!

OM...when's your birthday? Just the month and day (I don't think my smartphone calendar will let me enter a year that long ago). I'm gonna put it on my calendar so I can lob slow pitches about Washington's licensing requirements right across your homebase!

11. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

I am astonished at the whining. During the recent economic downturn, the state has decreased funding from the general fund to the state park system (along with many other state agencies); there have even been proposals to make the state park system "self-sufficient". The Discovery Pass is an attempt to pass the costs of supporting the state park system (and WDFW and DNR to a lesser extent) to those who use it. I know, I know, what kind of a world do we live in where people are expected to pay for government services that they use???? So, when people who use state parks do not purchase Discovery Passes (see current/past threads for contributions from multiple board members who have vowed to never purchase them), the pass does not bring in as much money as the state took away. Many state parks have transformed year-round ranger positions to seasonal positions. Fewer workers = less work is accomplished. And yet people are surprised that there aren't as many rangers to greet them, keep an eye on their vehicles, or clean the bathrooms. I know it shouldn't, but the lack of fundamental economic understanding and the prevalance of "magical thinking" astounds me.

Steve

Bert, atomic dog, plaegreid and 10 others like this.
  12. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Or conversely, why people in Eastern WA bear the burden of costs for stadiums, HOV lanes and mass transit projects of inefficiency. I think most have no problem paying for what they use. We already do so by paying taxes. Let's get the complete list of all budget line items and begin the trimming exercise...I think you you be surprised how many items we could reduce or cut and never get to the state parks.

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Remember when you got that sticker to stick to the back of your vehicle. When it faded out you were required to get another one. I never did. I just fished on.

Every time I come back to Washington I don't even think about fishing anymore. For an out of stater, you end up paying for everything. Hell, you could end up broke and still not got to enjoy your self.

14. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

This fall into the category of the "Big Lie". Citizens in western Washington, especially the classic punching bag, King County, pay far more in taxes than they receive in benefits from the government (see http://www.thestranger.com/binary/ea57/CityLead-CLICK.jpg).
    [​IMG]
    Those who wail most often about big government, government inefficiency, dependency, etc. receive far more in tax benefits than they pay.

Steve

15. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Back to the original point: WDFW fishing licenses are ridiculously large.

Islander and Itchy Dog like this.