Lock-Jawed Coho

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by CLO, Sep 19, 2013.

?
  1. Change Fly Color

17.2%
  2. Change Retrieve

24.1%
  3. Change Fly Size

27.6%
  4. Grab some roe

6.9%
  5. Go gome

24.1%
  1. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Ditto and the Kalama is not representative of most rivers in Washington. It is much more difficult to snag or floss a coho in a larger river like the Skykomish or Skagit where you are unable to sight-fish from your lawnchair while downing cheap beer, like the bubbas do on smaller rivers. I've seen many limits of coho pulled from the Sky on plugs, eggs, wee dick nites, and backtrolled or nymphed flies, none of which are particularly condusive to snagging and flossing. I've even caught a dozen coho from the upper Sky on flies; it takes the right conditions and presentation.

I wonder why this this "non-biting salmon" argument is going on in three or so different threads? I think all fly fishermen should go out with a positive attitude and try to find what makes a fish bite, rather than stereotype fish as being lock-jawed and only catchable using ethically questionable methods. This applies not only to salmon, but to trout, steelhead, and all other fish that are sometimes fickle biters.

Starman77 and Ian Broadie like this.
  2. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

you are right it was a blanket statement to which i am sure there are exceptions of which you are most certainly one.
    yes we need to get out, would have done it last year but there were no coho around.. I am going to get one on the surface this year!

3. ten80

ten80 Active Member

That's right! Go prove yourself wrong and have a blast doing it!

4. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

[qwasn'"ten80, post: 872170, member: 13344"]That's right! Go prove yourself wrong and have a blast doing it![/quote]

i was not admiting i was wrong.. just agreeing that there are exceptions

furthermore i never said that fish in fast water would not bite only that typically the people
    who fish that water are not getting them to bite

5. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Well, I know what you are talking about. Sorry about inferring your saying that they didn't bite in fast water. Just didn't want to be lumped in with that crowd.

This year is looking much better for coho so that sounds like a plan. I'm sure they can be taken on top in the right water. Didn't get a chance last year to test this coho skater I've been itching to try. Also experimenting with a mutant reversed spider that uses a backwards facing conehead to force mylar "hackles" forward. I know they're ugly and offensive but that's kinda the point. I'll have a box full of both when the main run hits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

plaegreid and Stonefish like this.
  6. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

looks good to me