Looking for Pontoon recomendations

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Chris Selvar, May 15, 2013.

1. GWJ

GWJ New Member

I've owned three pontoon boats, the NFO Skykomish Sunrise (frame), a Watermaster, and currently have the NFO Assault XX. All great boats. I prefer the framed pontoon oar system in rivers, but I love the lightweight, quick setup that both frameless boats offer. The Watermaster was solid and a great boat, well made. I'm happy I sold it and got an Assault XX because the front cargo area is great for gear or the occasional fishing partner (haven't had another person on it, except for a guy I pulled out of the river when his drift boat hit a rock and pitched him over the bow this winter) and rockered design makes it a bit quicker and more nimble on the water. I'll likely use the front cargo deck for gear when I bring my fishing partner along (dog) who will sit on the back deck behind the rower's seat. It doesn't have a standing platform, but I feel very comfortable standing on the seat in stillwater (probably depends on your balance and size). It takes less than 10 minutes to set up and at the end of the day I deflate it, roll it up and toss it in the back of the SUV. While I've read mixed reviews on NFO customer service, my experiences have been good. When I purchased my Assaut they failed to include the pump which was a part of the package. I called them after receiving the boat to let them know and received the pump within a couple days. The boat itself arrived in less than a week after ordering.

2. PT

PT Physhicist

It's really amazing that you'll come on here and dismiss all of the complaints as being those of something someone might have heard from a friend of a friend... Why don't you put a disclaimer in every post of yours that YOU ARE A FRIEND OF DAVE SCADDEN AND YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH THE COMPANY IS NOT WHAT MOST PEOPLE SHOULD EXPECT.

Thread after thread after thread about lousy customer service and to you it's like a dinner bell ringing. Time to get to WFF and start the apologies for NFO. Or, just dismiss it as being something someone heard from a friend of a friend. Pretty f'n pathetic that NFO has to have its own internet watch group to jump in and make excuses for them.

Even in this thread....
    Forgot the pump? Anybody reading this EVER have Bucks, Outcast, Aire, Big Sky, etc forget anything in one of their packages? Simple oversight, sure. To be expected, it seems so.

Before you jump on me for chiming in on this thread, I come on here occasionally to counter a bit of your cheerleading while you have to chime in on EVERY SINGLE NFO thread to make excuses for that company. It really is odd, and, having someone balance out your cheerleading isn't what I'd consider bashing. Simply pointing out that all these "friend of a friend of a friend" stories aren't just stories. They are real people who have worked real hard to purchase a product from a company that is run about as poorly as any I'VE EVER HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO TRY AND DO BUSINESS WITH. Yes, I've tried to give them my money on more than one account.

If it was me looking for a pontoon I'd be looking really hard at Kerry's Bronco Extreme in the classifieds. You won't have to worry about missing parts or broken oarlock pins or promises to have certain oars shipped. You won't have to keep checking your porch to see if the UPS driver has delivered whatever it is that is missing from your order. You'll just have a boat that is there when you need it.

If you wanted to spend a bit more the Outcast PAC1000 would be a great choice. It would allow you to fish rivers, use as a kickboat in lakes and do multi day trips about anywhere you want to go. It's a workhorse. And, you won't have to worry about receiving only 1 oar and 3 oarlocks in the box.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  3. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

I do chime in as you do, but this makes ME bad? I read all the posts as well. I didn't realize they still included a pump with orders but okay, that was dropping the ball. Just like Sawyer telling Dave the oars will be made at a date then not deliver. Sure that makes Dave look bad too. Then I read someone say they went straight to Sawyer and THEY said there was a waiting list on a particular oar. And for the record, The Power Stroke is Daves oar. There are some here that go out of their way to discredit a boat they have NEVER had anything to do with and they do this out of what they have heard or read.
    But I am reading a lot of Positive here too, as well as personal experience.
    But it is okay for you to bash me and NFO, but brag Outcast....I see what you did here.

4. PT

PT Physhicist

Blue, I wasn't going to comment until you tried to discredit all the complaints as being nonsense.

Even if a person only believed 1/10th of the bs thrown around about NFO, that still leaves a lot to be desired regarding their customer service.

Not bragging up any company as I threw a couple of them in the mix. I have no allegiance to any manufacturer.

Anything I said in my previous post not true? Seems they have nice products at a decent price but it is buyer beware when it comes to purchasing their products. There is nothing objective about your support for the company. Their biggest advocate here is also a friend of the owner.

That being said, the OP asked about pontoon boat options. I threw a couple of them out there. Sorry if your friends boats aren't among those I recommended.

Time for me to go outside and play nice with the other kids ;)

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  5. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Please note, I was NOT the first to recommend NFO. In fact I have many times mentioned Bucks Bags & Outcast. My friendship with Dave was long before the boats. He builds a GREAT boat as many here will attest to. The main complaint about NFO is the accessories, NOT the boat its self. He offers the same oars as everyone else with his boats. People want to "up grade" he offers that as well, but the supplier to the accessories might not be on top of things. His fault for not saying, "I will get them out as soon as I get them, whenever that might be". No, seems people want a date and understandably.

You decided to hi jack this post by bash me for always "defending" my friend. No I defend a wonderful boat regardless of who makes it. You are also on every one of these posts I am, bashing NFO.
    Okay, you are anti-scadden, we get that. But, apparently some are pro-scadden besides me.

6. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

LMAO!!!!

Jerry Daschofsky likes this.
  7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

If you were only fishing lakes, I recommend a SuperCat. They were originally made for backpacking so are compact and extremely well designed. The pontoons do not include bladders but are made of rubber raft material.

A rowing frame is available as an option.

I've used mine on a few slow moving rivers with no problem but they are not designed for heavy river use.

Otherwise... five of us bought our SuperCats over 20 years ago when the company first started selling the product and every single one of us really like the pontoon boat as a smaller option if you don't plan to use it mostly on rivers.

8. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Why you laugh James? Care to elaborate??? :)

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Can we respect the thread originators request for information and take the confrontational bullshit into a conversation.

My PAC-800, PAC-9000, Avenger XX and custom NRS with 14' Maxxons are or were all great pontoon platforms for lakes and rivers up to design and rower skill limitations. I have friends with darn near all types. Bucks, Skookum, Scadden, Aire, Outcast and knock offs. Within any budget there is a boat for you.

Please kindly proceed with helping our new member with the question at hand.

Sevlar, if you have design or customer service questions about any boat companies that I listed as ones I've had, I'd be delighted to assist with more info.

10. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Apologies Ed, but he also asked a follow up question…

Selvar,

Yes it is. I would pay more attention to the comments made by the common folk (good and bad), vice the comments of a guide who’s “friendship with Dave was long before the boats.”

My experience with Scadden convinced me to buy a Watermaster. If you want a pontoon, I’d seriously consider Kerry’s classified. Make sure to chat him up if you do, he's a cool dude.

11. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Absolutely. Good call pH. Don't listen to a guide that is a friend of Dave's just because I've been using these boats for 15 years with no issue, but to someone whom has never even tried one. I think of many of you here as friends as well, yet I have never met. But Ed likes your comment too.
    Nice.;)

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I like many things, civility especially. I like many boats, suggestions to listen to a variety of sources and using the classifieds to recycle other boats. Don't forget that I currently own two of Dave's boats and enjoy them. I also have had errors with those orders. Wrong standard oars, a third oar that was not matched to the other two and forgetting scadden branded accessories.

Love the boats, went in eyes wide open. I have my opinion as you have yours. Like it or ignore it, your call.

james.jimenez and porterHause like this.
  13. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

I have sent you a PM

Gary Knowels and porterHause like this.
  14. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Must be nice to be able to stop by their office. I tried that as I was driving through the area and was told firmly that I couldn't.

15. This thread is going full retard