Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

MA11/13 short report

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  USMC 
#1 ·
Went out Sunday morning around high tide. Drove by a couple old favs that were packed, ended up at a backup beach with no action, saw a couple jumpers though.
Then I went to a very long beach under a bridge for the last couple hours of the outgoing. There were quite a few jumpers, some looked like decent sized cutts, but there were also small pods of 6-8 inch fish which I'm guessing were small rezzies.
No action for me or the other guys on the beach. It was nice to finally get out again, its been a couple months. I also saw a large pod of porpoises' multiple groups of 5-6 spread across the channel.

Here's a nice pic of the flatwing I was fishing, and a squid pattern I tried out.
Road surface Asphalt Wood Grass Gas
Circuit component Passive circuit component Fishing bait Automotive lighting Window

See less See more
#5 ·
Man those are freaking sweet flies Pat

#7 ·
To be honest I didn't fish too much, mostly just hanging out with a old friend of mine, BS'ing puncuated by some casting to jumpers, wandering around, and watching the wildlife.

Thanks for the compliments guys, I love the action on those flatwings and also thinking about doing a squid swap soon.

Roger, I was talking about you to my friend. I told him a couple times that even though there were fish around, the current speed was not the 1 1/2-2 mph slow walking speed that Roger Stevens would be fishing :) Is that the proper speed for rezzies as well? Not sure of the water temp, but it was cold out. Sure was a beautiful day though

#9 · (Edited)
Roger, I was talking about you to my friend. I told him a couple times that even though there were fish around, the current speed was not the 1 1/2-2 mph slow walking speed that Roger Stevens would be fishing :) Is that the proper speed for rezzies as well? Not sure of the water temp, but it was cold out. Sure was a beautiful day though
The tidal current which I prefer for sea-run cutthroat is a slow walking speed. IMHO the tidal current which is preferred by resident coho is often in the 2 to 2 1/2 mph range if they are feeding on bait fish. But quite a bit slower if they are schooled up and feeding on amphipods. There are always exception to proper tidal current so being observant to fish behavior(jumping/swirling) is the tip off of where to cast.

Roger

#11 ·
Great post. Just to add to the report, I saw a rather large school of feeding residents off a beach in MA13 yesterday. Most appeared to be around the 12" range but def saw some nice sized ones mixed in.

Chased them down the beach with a buddy for about an hour but they never came close enough for us to reach. This was at bottom of low tide heading into slack.

All and all kinda frustrating but at least they were there lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.