Maiden voyage with the new raft - Yak report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Luke77, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Any 8-year old's considerably smarter than any drunk adult. I marvel that nobody gets drowned on the Yak in the Summer! I've seen `em too drunk to stand up, and somehow they still survive!

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Luke, well played by a man of well crafted composure. Beauty of a raft, looks like Sebastian will find his way with your guidance just fine. There are many reasons to be proud of him, mostly due to the stellar example you set yourself. Cheers.

3. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Sorry to leave you hanging trip.

So after we pulled over at a resting spot, along came easily 15 floatillas that kept us on the bank for a good 20 minutes. I'm amazed at floating contraptions people come up with to float the river. We saw islands complete with wood sound systems blaring their music...yes on an inflatable. We saw a raft island with a fully covered canopy, few loners in tubes, a guy with a dog on a paddle board and PLENTY of scantily clad women that had way too much to drink. After one such specimen passed, I said to Sebastian, "Well son, that right there is a perfect example of why they call this the bikini hatch." He got kind of excited and said, "So are we going to change flies...what do the bikini hatches look like" (obviously still completely focused on fishing). I pointed to a woman laying on her stomach on a raft, rear in the air, and said, "Bikini...as in what that woman shouldn't be wearing...." He wrinkled up his nose and goes, "that's just not right dad...." and RIGHT he was! On an up note, he did get to see several acrobats that missed their circus calling, performing all kinds of death defying stunts off cliffs into shallow water...truly remarkable. One guy even had a go pro pole rigged up to capture his idiot-ness.

So yea, I'd say it was pretty much a zoo and a big reminder why I don't fish on the weekends in the heat of summer. But the itch to float the new raft was too strong for me to say no.

Thanks everyone for the "good jobs" however I didn't do anything anybody else wouldn't do. Right place, right time is all. Sooo, who want's to go fishing today? ;) Kidding....

sort of...

Itchy Dog and wadin' boot like this.
  4. Tony Polizzi

Tony Polizzi Active Member

Wow, Nut Checks are horrible even when expected and completely different then Gut checks right?
    I mean UN expected nut checks just sound hazardous as hell. Should we all be wearing protective cups on the river?

5. Tony Polizzi

Tony Polizzi Active Member

I Always try to avoid slit second decisions especially around last call.

6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I'm always amazed when I hear of people who play in potentially dangerous waters without knowing how to swim or wearing any flotation device.

I was reading a follow-up article about the woman surf fisher who drowned here last weekend. She loved to surf fish, but didn't know how to swim. She had a pfd, which she left in her car. She usually fished with friends, and had gotten swept off her feet in the surf and needed to be rescued by them on one of her prior surf fishing trips here. So she should have known better. This last time they weren't around to save her.

7. montana_sam

montana_sam Member

I fished the Yak yesterday from Ringer down to Pines.
    Not many on the surfaced. I had a newbie and he got alot of hits on small yellow hoppers (mainly joe's)
    Nothing to big though. I am sure nymphing would have been a better option, but we were content to fish the surface.
    I am curious to see what the upcoming drop in water will do to the fishing.
    Great Sunday on the river though.

8. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

There are plenty of swiftwater rescues and deaths on the yakima unfortunately. I think that big irrigation chute has claimed about a half dozen.

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Good job on saving the idiot, Darwin notwithstanding. Good example for your son ++. Nice looking fishing raft too. My only regret is that you didn't post bikini photos.

Sg

10. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Home Page:
    Nice work, Luke. Still amazes me that people float the lower canyon expecting anything but what you experienced during the summertime..it's not like there's not much better water and stretches the Darwin candidates don't float. But, that's why I rarely fish the lower.....