Montana trip Help 6/7-6/15

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Nate Dutton, May 29, 2014.

1. Hem

Hem Member

Monday it was worse.Who wants to fish in puke if they don't have to.I caught a dozen nice fish in Cliff with beautiful clear water.Did notice a bunch of tourists at 3 Dollar with glum faces.:D

Kyle Smith likes this.
  2. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Early June is tough back home. Lake hatches aren't very prolific yet, streams are extremely high & off-color. Must be why I shot gophers & tied flies in June, fished high elevation beaver ponds or a true secret spot known only to few locals. Fortunately, that spot remains secret.

3. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

If the schedule allows, you might be better to beat it for Michigan and hope for better conditions on your way home.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  4. scottwhited

scottwhited New Member

The rockies are tough this time of year but since you're to headed Michigan why not fish the driftless area (the large area where minnesota, wisconsin and iowa meet)? I've only fished the Wisconsin area but have done it many times and it fishes great this time of year.

5. RogueBum

RogueBum Spey casting for Steelies year round

Home Page:
    Just a thought...

I take a trip to Western Montana every year around July or August to visit family and fish. About 2 years ago, I was there around the 4th of July and everything was completely blown out. From Kalispell to Missoula, the fly shops were saying that there wasn't going to be any fishable waters for at least a week.

Long story short, I ended up taking the 2 from Kalispell (heading west) out to Thompson Lake and followed the Thompson River all the way down to where it dumped into the Clark Fork. There is a gravel logging road (in really good shape) that follows the river for it's entire length. You can't get lost if you tried! It was some of the best fishing I think I had done in a long time!

Small , but feisty brook trout at the head, rainbows and browns through the length taking dry flies all day. I didn't see a single person for the whole trip. When everything else was blown out, the Thompson was perfect!

Something to think about.

6. Nate Dutton

Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

I appreciate the responses guys even if the information isn't the best for me. Rescheduling is a possibility, hitting on the way back through which would be mid july. Fishing extremely marginal water is basically my other option. The problem is that I'm not the only shot caller anymore, there is a woman involved................... I will keep you guys posted, looks like I should have stayed home and fished Shee fish on the Kobuk...oh well.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

There's always something getting in the way of a fishing trip.

8. Jim Ficklin

Stop at Georgetown on the return trip in mid-July; I'll likely be there then, Nate. Turn the little lady loose to go to Philipsburg; you can fish Damsels in the day & giant Caddis in the evening. She'll probably have a good time wandering around that small town.

9. mx610ktm

mx610ktm Member

Go to the park and fish. Find spots that arent 5 feet from the road. Its high but you can generally always find good water. Drive from west through the south entrance and you will find good water. Farther in the park = better clarity. Try not to kill the foreigners bring some bear spray and enjoy

Kyle Smith likes this.
  10. Cougar Zeke

Cougar Zeke Active Member

OK so the fishing is bad, when does it usually get better? I was thinking of taking the new Clack to the MO in a month.

Does the fishing get better in late June?

11. little rod

little rod Member

Montana had a good winter this year. Snow packs are well above average. Montana snow makes up 50% of the water in the Mississippi and 50% of the water in the Columbia River. (interesting fact of trivia) I was on the mighty MO last weekend and it did not fish well at 8600, now it's 11,200. The Clark Fork of the Columbia is 37,000 and the creeks are very high. With the temps going up in the 80's Montana moving water will be tough. Georgetown Lake would be a great bet.
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/mt/nwis/current?type=flow

12. little rod

little rod Member

Late June is what I wait for. When the water clears to 3 to 4 feet of viability and the water is still a little high, but on the drop, the fish have been pushed to the banks and they are looking for food. The 3rd or 4th weekend in June should be stellar.

13. Cougar Zeke

Cougar Zeke Active Member

Thanks for the info little rod! Much appreciated!

I was on the Big Horn and Clark Fork around Gold Creek last August and the water levels were LOW. Good to see the water's moving again.

14. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

I love catching that first caddis frenzy, usually at the start of the typical early July heat wave. Fishing dries in the dark to fish that have completely lost it is as good as it gets.

little rod and Jim Ficklin like this.
  15. Jim Ficklin

"Sound" versus "Sight" fishing at it's finest!