Mountain lion/Cougar??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by james.jimenez, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I say issue more cougar tags and bring back the hound hunting! A friend of mine shot a cougar that was crouched on a ledge above him and looking down at him on the trail when he was walking in somewhere to hunt for deer. The meat was really excellent!

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

James,

I heard that a fifth of Southern Comfort is one of the best cougar baits out around Rainier and Yelm. Oh! You mean the other kind of cougar.
    Congratulations for spotting a Rainier cougar! I've lived here all my life and only saw one in the wild, and that was up north in British Columbia.

You don't need a CPL to carry either open or concealed in WA when you are hunting, fishing, camping, or on your way to or from hunting, fishing, or camping. A gun probably won't do you much good if you are attacked by a cougar because they are ambush predators. If one decides to attack you, the first inckling you're likely to have is the sudden feeling of your neck/spinal cord being crushed. At that point, neither a knife or pistol is likely to be of much use. But if it makes you feel safer, by all means carry. The best carry weapon is the one you're least likely to shoot yourself in the foot with. Cuz once you shoot your foot, you're wounded, and when you're wounded in predator country, you're prey.

As mentioned in an above post, the greater danger in enjoying the great outdoors is the risk of being in a car accident on the way to or from, or encountering a low-life human predator in the woods. I think the historical record of cougar caused fatalities in WA state is zero, or maybe one, like a hundred years ago.

BTW, how was fishing?

Sg

3. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Cougar is excellent table fare. Possibly the best wild game meat. Cooked right, if you didn't tell someone what it was, they'd believe they were eating pork chops.

4. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

My older sister asked for seconds until I told her it was meat from the bear Dad killed a few days earlier. I think the year was 1959, or maybe '60.
    I caught hell for that. My sister still hates me...! :D

5. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Oh, and Dad still gets a chuckle out of the story!

6. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

Well all in all, I will definitely be more vigilant when i venture out in that area. I will be heading out there later this evening for another round during the evening hatch. I recon 8-11 inch cuts on a 5'9" fiberglass rod are worth risking a little kitty bite. FISH ON!!!!

7. 10incher

10incher Active Member

I wouldn't have thought cougar was good to eat because they're carnivores. Then again, so are trout I suppose.

I think it's a good idea to carry a knife or pack heat in case of an attack. I carry the knife because survived cougar attacks, historically, often involve a knife. So at least it gives me a good shot at survival in the very rare event that a mountain lion grabs me. The idea that I will survive helps me focus more on fishing and less on listening for the snapping of twigs or rustling in the brush. It also comes in handy for bushwhacking. But mostly it's peace of mind. And to be honest, I'd rather carry the knife and take my chances than fish in places where I know I'll never see a cougar. Carrying the knife is my concession that I'm entering THEIR space and I don't want them removed from it. If cougars that want to wander into human claimed areas could behave in a civil manner it wouldn't be an issue. But they're awful listeners.

8. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I've seen quite a few cougars . . . most were in Montana but I have seen 2 in Washington while wandering around in the outdoors & have called-in 3 here while predator calling/hunting (2 in dry-land eastern WA wheat country which I thought an odd locale to encounter a cougar (well, I WAS within 100-miles or so of Pullman . . . ). THAT will make the hair stand-up on the back of your neck, especially when they come-in behind you. For what it's worth, all quickly departed upon seeing me.

Tony Abaloney likes this.
  9. Tony Polizzi

Tony Polizzi Active Member

I carry a flask a couple of cigars and an extra thermal layer for protection.
    Serially, relax... Statistically you had a much greater chance of being in a serious vehicle collision than getting killed by a mountain lion,

Get a cwp from your local sheriff if your gonna carry. If you do encounter LE like, a traffic stop or a WDFW officer, calmly say you have a cwp and you are armed. Normal LE response is something to the effect of, "thank you, please keep your hands on the steering wheel, where is the weapon." That's if all circumstances are normal to the officer.
    These posts always smell like troll bait to me, don't know why I ignore my better instincts..
    So, Hey what's the Stealheading like in Sacramento? How was the Pink run in Oakland this year? That's a conversation about conservation worth having.
    One last thought ...

Attached Files:

10. 10incher

10incher Active Member

After some research it seems that Ca. has the most mountain lion attacks and fatalities. By such a margin that the list on some sites is broken down by "California" and "other states". Attacks in Washington are super rare. And I was only able to find one fatality from 1924. Historically, coyotes attack more people than cougars. Both coyotes and cougars are much more likely to attack children than adult humans. There are only two coyote related fatalities I could find. And though it's extremely rare for coyotes to attack an adult, one of those fatalities was a 20yo girl in Canada. Mountain lions are more likely to attack adults. And the fatality rate is higher for attacks. But there are much fewer of them.

And I've never worried about coyotes at all. In fact I've been stalked by coyotes. It made me a little nervous at the time, but then someone I trust on the matter told me that coyotes will just do that. It's sort of like play and the compulsion of instinct. They'll stalk without the end game of attacking. Since they virtually never attack adult people I never gave it another thought. For some reason cougars still scare me though. Probably left overs from my Ca. upbringing where you just hear about cougar attacks sometimes. I guess the cats in Ca. are just over populated and pissed off.

11. generic

generic Active Member

I HATE coyotes! It seems that wherever I set up camp, they have to have their "duels" over that night's kill, 20 yrds from my tent... at 2 am. :mad: