Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

"Mr. Chumlee"

Pattern 
1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Mark Mercer 
#1 ·
Ok, I posted an initial image in the gallery of my first version of this, an adaptation from Drew Chicones book "Feather Brain" which I absolutely love and highly recommend.
I have never really been a synthetic material user but nearly all his flies use some form of EP or SF fibers, but they look hella cool so I jumped on it.
My perspective is to adapt his tropical saltwater patterns for Puget Sound use, so downsizing and tweaking the colors.
My first effort was his Mr Chumlee, a topwater slider designed to mimic a wounded baitfish.

I did this one tonight and it meets my standards for size and shape, but I see more variety in shapes an colors down the road.

Fun stuff and a nice tying break from my norm!

The pattern is 2.5"X1"X1/4" in size and I used:

Gama SL11-3H #8
EB fibers 3D: Baitfish Belly and Dark Olive
Red floss

Bottom

Topside

Enjoy!

See less See more
#2 ·
Really awesome tie, not just the pattern but the quality of it all. I could see a musky hitting a perch colored version during the dog days of summer as well.
It did kinda took me a second to take it all in, i.e. figure out what I was looking at:confused:. I haven't seen that type of pattern before but it totally makes sense, especially for clear, tropical water. I'll have to play around with it as a herring pattern this summer.
Thanks for sharing

#3 ·
Thank you Pat! I have been tying for exactly one year, so much to learn and so much fun. I love more traditional ties, but I really get a kick out messing with funky and intriguing patterns and honing them for our sweet little Puget Sound.
I am planning on making a few of these on Gama B10 S #2 for Bass this spring.
Have you done much local Musky/Pike fishing? That is a fishery that totally intrigues me, I have a 10wt setup in the works and I am kinda psyched to see what that has to offer.
You and your creations are one of my inspirations, so I look forward to seeing what you can create with your imagination!

#4 ·
I've been tying for... well let's not get into that, but that thing easily looks better than about anything I tie (don't get me wrong my patterns still catch the heck out of fish). I also needed to take some time to "take it all in". I'd love to see a step by step now.

#5 ·
I've been tying for... well let's not get into that, but that thing easily looks better than about anything I tie (don't get me wrong my patterns still catch the heck out of fish). I also needed to take some time to "take it all in". I'd love to see a step by step now.
Thanks Ira!
I am a serious noobie, but I have a weird mind and try to tie things that look fun and fishy, I have a buttload to learn but am pleased with my results thus far.
I will try to do an SBS this weekend between fishing and taking a Spey (Gasp) class on Saturday.
Thanks for the kind words and right back at you, for YOU are the man about stillwater tying and catching! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.