My fishing days may be going away

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by GAT, Aug 4, 2013.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Bummer Gene. There are times when life seems to be but a cruel joke. I had a cortesone shot in my shoulder (fortunately non cast one) 7 yearrs ago and it worked within a few hours and has been manageable since. Hope you find some option that works.

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I have a nerve in my left elbow that pops out of place with some motions. Unfortunately, one of those is casting a two hander. I can usually get away with it if I really pay attention, but if I go in to auto pilot, things get ugly.

for this reason, I always have my baitcaster with me. turns out, having a steelhead on the end of the line on the baitcaster doesn't suck. Neither does standing in the same river, casting a line in to the same runs as I would otherwise. Since I enjoy the baitcaster a lot more than I enjoy casting sink tips and heavy flies on a single hander, I just stick with that. I still use the single hander for the beaches and whatnot, though.

3. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Attaboy, Evan . . . "adapt, improvise, overcome."

4. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I've overcome torn rotators, and a bad "impingement" problem in my left shoulder (needed cortisone shot plus P.T.), and am now trying to heal my "tennis elbow" in my casting arm. I troll flies more often now, and cast them less (temporary situation, I hope), although I seem to do fine with my 3 and 4 wts if I don't try to cast all day long.
    I like a good half a day for my fishing anymore. Dawn-til-dusk on a river float is a real burnout if you just have to sit in the bow seat and fish, or sit in a power boat and troll. I'd rather row or paddle more often! I like to hike in whenever possible, and of course there's more walking than casting going on then.
    It ain't "the survival of the fittest." Its "the survival of the most adaptable!";)

flyfool likes this.
  5. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

OK, bursitis has been very loyal and at my side for the past 30 years due to Coaching Wrestling and being the Weight Lifting coordinator that does way more than just demonstrate. That said, 1995 gave me bursitis/impingement syndrome left (non-dominate)shoulder surgery that went great. This was after cortisone did nothing. Times have changed since, and like others have mentioned docs are way less interested in cortisone shots because they hamper surgery and recovery. Last Tuesday I decided to get right shoulder fixed (2, rotator cuff tares, labrium tare, bursitis, impingement syndrome, and worn out, 65-year old AC joint) I am fully confident that I will be fly casting in October to a limited extent.

Each time you antagonize your shoulder your bursa sac inflames and causes the sac to get a bit thicker. Thicker to the point it eventually raises hell with your acromion, i.e. impingement syndrome which hurts like a sob. The docs will strip off the sac, and probably shave the acromion bone to give you some extra space and a life without pain. This was 1995 scenario and may be different with improved ortho surgery advice to be had.

You might consider talking to the very best Ortho surgeon you can find about your best options for a future with lots of fly casting. It also helps to know an even better PT person because they are the real key to your shoulder's future.

6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I'll try the shots... if my primary doc will give them to me -- for all I know they may not mix well with all my other meds. If that doesn't work, surgery may be an option but I'd rather not go the route until the bitter end.

GT, you are absolutely correct in your analysis. You don't realize just how much the arm muscles play a part when doing something as simple as unscrewing the lid on a peanut butter jar until you have bursitis and your upper arm hurts like hell when untwisting a lid. That's crazy.

I won't go the bait casting route because I'm into catching fish with a fly rod. I don't eat the steelhead so there would be no point in using spinning gear.

I'll let you guys know how this all turns out and thanks for your suggestions. Obviously I'm not the only old guy with a piece of junk body ... I think the warranty has expired. :)

7. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

I have a right shoulder that is falling apart on me as well. I am 58. This past winter i could not get my shoulder to stop hurting even when using a 2 hander. After about 6 months of trying P/T, accupuncturre, 2 shots, and a ton of stretches and exercises my shoulder broke loose. One day I was laying on my side, raised my right arm and I felt and heard this loud clunking noise. Since then my shoulder has felt better. I continue to stretch and exercise and so far it is feeling good enough for me to go back to the single hand rod this summer

8. underachiever

underachiever !

Start using your other arm. It'll be frustrating at first but I bet you'd get the hang of it. Every time I go out I make a point of casting some with my left arm. Sometimes it's handy for the back cast room.

*Edit* Now that I've actually read all the replies I see others have already mentioned this. Turns out I'm not the visionary I thought I was.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  9. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Gene, there are some good acupuncturist in the valley, do some research and give one a try before having any more chemicals pumped into yourself.

When Susan was dying of an undisclosed disease 2 years ago her acupuncturist was the only hope and comfort she got during the 5 months it took the medical guys to diagnose her. It sounds like you have little to lose at this point, maybe you can find some relief. I used chiropractors and acupuncture after the plane crash years ago when the docs just wanted to give me pain killers. I have been pretty much pain free for years despite damage to my neck and upper back.

I have some killer pain meds should I ever need them but have only taken 2 in the past 4 years. I hope you can beat this rap and stay on the water for many years to come. Hell, you're still just a kid!

Ive

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Isn't it funny that when you reach the age of 55 you start to fall apart. When you get 60 that's when you really start to hurt. I was always knocking on wood every time I took a tumble when working on Airplanes. Now my knees are shot and I've opted out of any operations. My right knee hurt/aches all the time. I stumble when I first get up in the morning and try to walk. Or if I sit to long. I only fish for about an hour at a time. Any longer and the next day I stay home sitting in a soft chair. I'm lucky as I don't have to wander to far up or down stream to catch fish.

I use a cane to get around and now I'm using those powered carts when I go shopping at the grocery store. I love fly fishing and if I can't do it I might as well just cash it in.. I hope you all make it as old as I am. 78 ain't that bad. I don't think I could fish in Washington anymore. To damn many trees to climb over or under.

Get well Gene.

smc and flyfool like this.
  11. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I may try acupuncture myself for a recurring lower back ache. One of the local surfers here is married to one, and a couple of other surfer's I know here have used her with positive outcomes, and recommended that I go consult with her.

Some of the actions that I have learned to avoid are:

Throwing balls and sticks for dogs. Just don't do it.
    A kind of "chewbone" on a short rope that you swing bolo-like and then launch is much easier on the arm. This might also be good practice for hurling a river-rescue throw bag.

Run. I don't, unless a swarm of mad hornets (or a roaming pack of wild young nubile women drawn by the aroma of my cologne) is after me. Of course, since I never wear cologne, I don't have to worry about the latter. Running brings back an old knee injury that doesn't ever bother me unless I try to run, and has caused inflammation in my Achilles tendons, which takes too long to heal.

Carry anything over 50 lbs on my back or slung over my shoulder. I'm going to reduce that upper limit to 40 from now on. I'll need yet another specialized kayak dolly. A 40 lb max loaded expedition pack should be just fine for a few days in the back country.
    I won't be loading/unloading 60 lb bags of concrete mix any more. All my gate posts are in. I now refuse high dollar offers for me to help pour concrete in the capacity of "wheelbarrow jockey." (Just ain't gonna ever happen again). My knees also thank me for this.

Play sports or games like basketball, volleyball, softball, any racquet sports (quit that stuff 15-20 years ago). I can still flip a frisbee, though!
    No skiing or snowboarding and no skating. I can't survive any wipeouts on terra firma without suffering some consequences. I am careful when riding my bikes, and only use my mountain bike on logging roads and groomed trails.

Surfing is a double edged sword. As one of the best upper body workouts that I know of, as well as the absolute funnest, I remain fully addicted. There is always the potential for the unexpected, and I try to avoid any false moves. A good session beats me up a bit, and I may need a full day to recover, but its worth it, as long as I avoid injury. I like to think that I know my upper limits, here, but...:eek: sometimes stuff happens. I can usually pull two good days in a row, and sometimes muster enough energy for two sessions in one day, if the waves are really good, but at my age I need my R&R days.

Don't let any young hooligans talk you into doing anything that the little voice in your head warns that you should avoid. The "little voice" knows. The hooligans just need some other monkey to fill out the team.

List goes on. Gittin' old is hell!

Steve Call and flyfool like this.
  12. flyrig

flyrig New Member

Hey Gene hang in there! I went through this like the others have mentioned here. Did the shots and finally the surgery and all when well. I have some friends that CCI guys and have helped me with the Lefty style of what I would call side arm casting and that really made a difference for me. Not painful and does not aggravate the shoulder. Lefty calls it keeping the elbow on the shelf. I also live in the valley and if interested I can get you in touch with these guys.

13. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:

Gene, My hunch is that you need a qualified orthopedic surgeon and an MRI to accurately diagnose this issue. And the longer you go without that the worse it can get. If there is a surgical repair for this you need to get on it quick.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  14. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

Yes
    Well done:D

15. Kelly Michelsen

Kelly Michelsen Active Member

I am 54 and have had both shoulders done Rotator cuff that is
    Right 10 yrs ago healed up fine left 6 months ago stiff but I am back n the gym with light weights I will miss archery this yr but will back on it next yr. Get a second or third opinion and get it fixed if it is possible,
    Hang in there!
    Kelly Michelsen