New to snohomish again... and clueless on small streams

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Tom Knoberson, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Thomas Sath

Thomas Sath Member

Got it....Found it after I sent that post...This forum is like a gold mine.......:D

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

I haven't found a mountain stream in the State that doesn't have some good 2-4wt action. If you don't mind bushwhacking and like catching small fish then Washington's a playground.

3. Thomas Sath

Thomas Sath Member

Yes, I agree. Us northwesterns are spoiled when it comes to fishing...Well besides Montana where the Old Man is at...I do need a small machete though for bushwhacking. I'm in desperate need of breaking in my new rod and reel.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

You don't need a machete once you get through the first wave of brush. Just watch out for the Devils Club. That shit will jump up and stick it to you.

I almost miss fishing in those hard to reach places, I said almost. Now here all I have to do is park,get out, and catch fish. I don't have to bust through all the bushes to get close to the water. If I could, the river is so close to the road I could almost sit in my truck and fish. And at least you can see what you are fishing for.

I'll shut up now as I'm getting antsy to go out again. But I'm just to lazy.

5. Thomas Sath

Thomas Sath Member

My lifelong adventure and journey has only just begun with exploring these hard to reach places.
    Yeah the Devin's Club is no friend indeed, hiking through the woods with shorts and having to pick those little needles out is no fun at all...:mad:
    A little jealousy is steaming out of my skin that you get to just park walk and almost fish from the truck if you wanted to...Damn you.

6. Preston

Preston Active Member

Even in small waters rainbows usually exhibit some degree of adfluvial if not anadromous behavior. As they mature they tend to move downstream seeking out larger waters and better forage; bigger streams, lakes or even, in the case of steelhead, the ocean, returning to the areas where they were spawned only to reproduce in spring. In situations where they find themselves restricted to small waters, above barriers to anadromous migration or where available food is limited, it is quite normal for them to mature and spawn at 6 to 8 inches in length.

As Roderick Haig-Brown so feelingly put it "... the rainbow is an individualist, a pioneer searching always wider scope; mere rivers confine him, and he goes out with the salmon into the breadth of the sea, to grow himself to the silvered nobility of the steelhead."

7. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

awesome. so the parr marks do remain prominent on some adult rainbows?

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I took the wife out the other day. Not so much that I wanted to fish. Just so she could get out of the house. She doesn't FF. She's a worm tosser. We stopped the truck walked ten feet and she got 4 Cutts of 12" or more in less time that it took to write this. I don't eat fish but I love to catch them .

I also caught fish out of this same hole and the same size with flies.

I stopped along side this creek we were fishing and showed her the fish that were swimming there. At least you can see fish here.

Enough gloating for a while. But I did fish in Washington for over 50 years.

9. Thomas Sath

Thomas Sath Member

This is why you're my new best friend...;)
    It always is nice to bring the wife along though, so they can see what we do and experience.

10. Patrick Gould

Don't forget about the places close to the road. The other day I bushwhacked my way to spot and had fun with some little fish and a few bigger ones. One the way back I pulled over where the same stream met the road and had pretty much the same luck and same size fish.

11. Thomas Sath

Thomas Sath Member

I definitely am going to hit the ones close to the road first, after getting frustrated or not catching any fish is when I'll start bushwhacking...

12. Patrick Gould

This clears up something for me. There is one stream that I fish where a 9" bow is about as large as they get, and most are 6-7". This stream is a small trib to the Yak so I'm guessing that they eventually make their way down to the river where they finish growing. In the same stream the Cutts are generally larger and I get the Ocasional 10"-11" one that looks pretty much like any full grown Cutt with no parr marks.

13. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

i see how that goes to preston's point about the larger fish moving down, but i'm still wondering about fish in the stream i've been enjoying this summer. the only way down for them via washout over several significant falls, unless they would swim over them on purpose to get down stream. but if all the adults did so, there would be no population of fish above the falls. there's no way they are planted, and i'm not talking about falls on the sky. falls on the trib.

14. Patrick Gould

Is it the case that the 6-8" fish keep their par marks but are still mature enough to spawn? Are parr marks just a function of size and not of age?

15. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

good question, but i have seen them on the largest fish i have seen from the stream, 11-12". see the second fish i posted above.