New to the area. Where to fish trout?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by WiscoAndy, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

It's depressing? You should be excited as hell. You've got a whole new state to explore--one with an ocean, numerous lakes, crazy huge whitewater rivers, little placid trickles in the desert, enormous reservoirs, small ponds, and on and on and on. Is it different than WI? Damn skippy.

You've got so much angling variety in this state it's silly.

Not sure I see the problem.

Your small stream options will open up considerably in a matter of weeks.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  2. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Except for Gary and me, of course!

3. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Right you are Jim! Glad to see you back on the board, hope we can fish a little together again this summer.

4. Dave Alberts

Dave Alberts Active Member

Andy--
    A couple of suggestions: This site is good for general suggestions, but for the longer term and dependability, find a fly club to join, then spend some time getting to know the other members... it sounds like you have wet a line on more than one occasion, so you should fit right in.

Another good investment would be to engage Dave McCoy from Emerald Waters Anglers for a day or two. He has built a good business guiding people to just the kind of water you are looking for...no, i have no relationship with E Waters, other than sitting through several of his seminars. I do believe he would be a good inventment for both small water, and salt from the beach.

Welcome!

5. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:

I'd like that, Gary! As flows drop I'll be wanting to get up to some of my lesser known upper S F Sno stretches, and being up in Mill Creek it's about damn time I start following some of the blue lines coming off the Skykomish and so forth to expand my options for 2-weight fishing. Let me know when you are going and I'll do the same. I'm assuming you saw my Lake Crescent post - but also guessing your payroll masters have a strong hold next week. You're always welcome on my boat or wading with me, bud.

Re WFF...
    Over the years I've just come and gone a bit - periods of absence when I'm really busy with stuff. But, heck, I've been a member of this thing since years before it was a forum -- back in the ListServ email days of WFF. It's in my blood, I'm WFF for life, man.

6. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Great! I live in Lake City now so I need to head up to the Sky drainage as well. I've got a three weight that loves getting a workout on numerous 6-12 inch fish.

I wish I could get out on that trip or at least part of it, but its just not in the cards at the moment.

7. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Jim,
    Jim, you sound like a real "Techno-whiz" . You've been sandbagging us for years.

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Don't be surprised as to what you can catch from the forks of the Skykomish. A 2wt or a 3wt you might be under gunned for whats up in there in the summer time.

I've had fish in the Beckler straighten out my hooks. And that was with a 5wt. Sure there are a lot of little fish around, but some will excite you.

The Duke and Jim Speaker like this.
  9. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Depressing is about the last thing it is. Learning a new fishery is great fun, and there are many, many opportunities beyond what you already know...Do not miss the pink run this year, it only happens every other year...

Jim Speaker likes this.