New to the glass

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Gary Knowels, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

But with the rods available today, do you still choose that rod, or have you explored others?

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I've fished a wide variety of rods. Mostly Sage RPL. Lots of TFOs including the deer creek speys. Still grab my old Fenwicks and fish them. In fact a lot of times my back up rod it's a glass Fenwick.

3. mojo

mojo Member

The one I was referring to is the EC I bought about 5 or 6 years ago. Butt over tip, same size guides, black plastic reel seat. Worst hinging rod I ever owned, but for $20 what more could I ask for. It sounds like it's been upgraded since then. It's not the same EC that I had in the '70's.

4. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Mojo....Your hit the bull's eye on that one. That particular model of Featherlight is probably the worst one they ever made, at least I think so.

5. mojo

mojo Member

I just can't bring myself to fish this thing. My main glass rods are a Scott F2 3 wt., Mc F's, Steffan, Lami honey's (which Lugan is correct, they're slow, but they're also very fun to fish with), TL Johnson. I also have some Fenwicks also, but I haven't fished them since I got the new glass rods.

6. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

The Old Eagle Claws are great. The new ones are horrible! You can pick one up in Wally World for $20. It won't be long before it breaks but you probably can get $20 of fun out of it before it does. Very brittle, cheap etc. etc. Surprised Eagle Claw (Wright & Mcgill) would want there name on such stuff. Look for an old one. You can find em.
    Jack

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Like Fenwick, Wright & McGill were sold off Years ago. So they have no say unfortunately. Been sold of A few times each I do believe.

8. Jack Devlin

I had the opportunity to look at the latest Eagle Claw Featherlight 2 piece flyrod yesterday. It looked and felt pretty good having a slightly faster action than the last model. For $25 it is a good deal and I'll probably pick one up to use myself and to have on hand as a loaner for beginner fly fisherman and friends to try. The last Featherlight I had broke awfully easily but I'm willing to try the new one as they are a fun rod to fish and my Medalist 1494 needs a home.
    Here is a link to a good rod review by a reviewer whose opinions I respect.
    Eagle Claw Featherlight Fly Rod Review By Fly Fish Ohio

Brookie_Hunter likes this.
  9. Jack Devlin

I just took delivery today (from WallyWorld to-the store delivery/ pick-up) of the new 7' 5/6 weight Eagle Claw Featherlight rod. Going to have some fun with it for sure. Not a bad little rod $25. Don't look too closely. Remember $25 Nice reel seat and hardware. The action is improved over the older model. I am going to enjoy it and will get way more than $25 worth of fun from it.
    THe size down - I think it is a 6'6" for 4 weight - is nice too.
    Jack

10. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Lots of posts....did you ever find a glass rod Gary? Fun to fish with, need to slooow down your casting stroke. I still have my first fly rod from the 60's, a 7'6" 5wt Phillipson built by my cousin when he worked for Shoff's in Kent. Any fish puts a bend in glass!

11. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

I was given an old actionglas 7'6" 6 weight from the 60's by a forum member. Well it used to be 7'6", it was donated to him with the tip replaced. It looks like the rod was broken right at the first guide and someone put a new tip top on it right there. It is painted to look like bamboo which I think is cool.

It is a really fun little caster, but I haven't fished it yet. I can't wait to throw it on some skinny water.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

12. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey