New to Washington Fishing

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Glider, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

A black woolley bugger will get you plenty of steelhead until you decide to make it more confusing :)

Lex and TD like this.
  2. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Go outside and run through the sprinkler at 5:00 AM. Then put on 3 layers of clothes and run around for 20 minutes. Have your wife punch you in the nuts a couple times and then repeat the process. If you enjoyed it more the second time you may have a future in steelheading this winter

3. Mike Garritson

Mike Garritson Member

Hahahahaha! Yep...that's about right. So, let's go fishing!

4. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Now that richt there is funny. My wife agrees though. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

5. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

Pretty funny stuff. Unfortunately, it's also pretty true :(

6. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Some of the good writing on this region is by Les Johnson, Steve Raymond, Doug Rose . . . That would keep you busy for awhile.

John Hicks and Derek Young like this.
  7. cook

cook Member

I've been in Seattle now for five years. Moved here from NYC but am originally from NM where I learned and did the bulk of my fishing. I'm still learning a ton--I still feel pretty lost on big rivers going after steelhead though. This thread made me reflect on the challenge of wanting to explore a new place vs. getting more familiar with a particular fish, river or system. For the first 2-3 years, I was basically driving around fishing a variety of rivers just to see what was out there and shocked by how different each river was. Although you're inevitably going to want to explore, keep in mind that repeated exploration and fishing on a particular river or fish helps with the learning curve a bit in that your not all over the place. This summer I focused all my energy on beach fishing and it paid off with three salmon to hand (Finally!) in addition to knowledge about flies, tides, lines, retrieves, etc.

Also, it helps to find a spot or two that is basically an ego booster. I have a couple small rivers that remind me of fishing back home where I can catch some decent trout--nice having that option to break up all the days getting skunked and feeling clueless.

Hope this helps!

plaegreid likes this.
  8. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    These books should be required reading for Steelheading, or sea run cutthroat 101. There is a lot of miles walked on sore feet by those men, just so you don't have to.