new waterproof compacts

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by tkww, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Nice Jeff! (Or, rather "Nice" to your daughter)

2. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

Great pic! I haven't tried using mine underwater.

3. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

I like to Bragg on her every chance I get. We won't talk about the 20 or so other pics of rocks and bubbles.

4. silvercreek

silvercreek Active Member

Amazon had the Panasonic Lumix TS4 on a one day special for $100 with free shipping! I bought one even though I am happy with my TS3. BTW, I have not any problems with the doors opening on me as noted by another poster. I do check that the tab is on "lock" before putting the camera underwater.

The camer is a bit more now but still well under retail.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00728ZC1U/?tag=dealnewscom&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

5. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Here are a couple of shots from "Curtis Creek" with a Canon D10 for comparison.
    2011 Sep 24 004b.jpg

BTW, I had to pull the partially eaten little guy out of this one's mouth before I could get to my fly to unstick him 2012 Sep 03 003_JTMPab7b.jpg

6. Brian Miller

Sorry to double post this but I got no answer in a "Why Camera GPS? thread" I started to ask this question...
    I personally don't want any GPS metadata in photos of trips to my Curtis Creeks or favorite backcountry lakes that I might publish in a public forum. I use Android GPS navigation and fishing log apps that track position, route on custom USGS quads, and catch events displayed on Google satellite maps that I can share with friends. I'm curious, why do you like GPS in a compact waterproof camera for taking photos of your fishing trips?

7. tkww

tkww Member

Well...I don't use GPS navigation much, or fishing log apps. So that's one thing. Second, metadata can be (and IMO should be) stripped in photos, particularly if you're sensitive to that kind of thing. Since I take hundreds if not thousands of photos for every one I post somewhere, I'd rather take the data out of the few than have it missing from all the rest. (And from what I've seen, if something is really that private, it just shouldn't be posted at all, pictures or not.) And, I use my fishing camera for more than just fishing pictures--which is to say, most of that usage isn't "secret" as far as location.

8. dean hylton

dean hylton New Member

The Panasonic TS4 has exactly the same specifications as the TS3 so there is not much difference to the older model. However it does have a manual mode which is useful, especially if you use your camera underwater, as you can adjust the settings to account for lighting.

9. dean hylton

dean hylton New Member

The guy in the shop is absolutely right.. DONT USE THE GPS FUNCTION unless you must, as its really annoying when your battery is drained after just few minutes. Its not worth it at all. Personally I would go with the Panasonic waterproof camera as its a good all rounder.

10. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

anyone using the new olympus tough TG-1 IHS?

11. TD

TD Active Member

Yes! Here a couple shots. I'm no photographer or master of lighting though so these may not be the best representation of the camera's ability.

Attached Files:

12. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

but how is the refresh time to take more pics? how is the fast photo snap feature? have you played around with attaching lens? i have a pentax ad looking for something different

13. Brian Miller

The TG-1 IHS has gotten some real good reviews recently and while the buzz says lens could be sharper, TD's pics are Great! Sometime back I'd read an article about the Pentax WD60 where a kayaker had tacked on then epoxy sealed an adapter ring so he could install a circular polarizer over the lens. I ordered my Canon D10 based on the reviews at the time and the possibility to do a similar mod because of the lens configuration, that just didn't seem practical after got my hands on the camera because of its already bulky profile. I see the slimmer TG-1 IHS has an optional adapter to support 40.5mm filters and conversion lenses; Cool! The ability to use filters is great but carrying around extra lenses to augment the slightly narrow focal length range would be a PITA. As I recall focal length was a drawback of the Canon D10 to it's best contemporaries but I don't find it an issue. Tempting...

14. TD

TD Active Member

Lets see if I can provide some feedback. 1) Refresh time is much quicker if you turn off the LCD Screen. Otherwise it is a bit slow at times. It is really slow if you use the battery save option where the LCD screen turns off after a few seconds and then turns on if you touch anything. 2) I've used the fast snap feature only a couple of times for pictures of the kids soccer games. It works well if you can get close enough. You obviously aren't going to see the sweat on their brows across the field. Here is a couple shots with the fast snap feature. Sorry I don't have the complete series, I only kept the one I was after. I think with practice I could keep the subject in better focus (notice the feet area). The soccer one was not as fast a moving target and you can see the difference in clarity. 3) I intend to start playing with attaching lenses because I would like to use a polarized lens for Saltwater fishing and stillwater situations.

If you are looking for a camera to take a lot of fast action photos you will want to get input from someone else. I usually tend to use a camera for still shots.

Attached Files:

15. Warren Water

Warren Water New Member

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014