New Zealand Mud Snails(Potamopyrgus antipodarum)

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jeremy King, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Home Page:
    Got this from Easterbrooks, WDFW, this week: "Invasive New Zealand mudsnails (NZMS) were discovered in the Columbia River Hanford Reach area February10th, 2014 from a freeze core sample taken September 24th, 2013. The sample and identification was conducted by Edward Johannes of Deixis Consulting. "

2. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

That's not good.

3. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

people need to stop buying felt sole boots already. C'mon people go buy some studs or buy some of those skid free shoes they use at restaurants. or learn how to roll cast

4. Jeremy King

Jeremy King New Member

Thanks for the update . What I think I've learned since I made this post is when an invasive species appears it usually means that that system or ecosystem is out of alignment. I just recently seen Capitol lake emptied out due to flooding and you can tell its a man made lake from all the wash out from the deschutes it's created the perfect environment for these critics and other invasive species like milfoil. So my guess would be the same with the Columbia you got all the dams and dredged parts of the river. All that sediment goes to the mouth creating yet another perfect place for these invasive species

5. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I still wonder where the Tench I've been catching in the Columbia river came from!? From what I've read up on it, it's mostly a European fish. And incredibly invasive. They're weird fish, they'll circle your boat and stare you down.