NFR: How do you pack your firearm when fishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Peter Pancho, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Yeah, I kinda thought so...I therefore default to my second assumption.

Gee Coach, the least you could do is try to make it a fair fight.

Thanks again for serving!

2. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

While we are off subject.
    This is what I believe.
    We all, everyone of us (boys and girls) Americans should be firearm trained from first grade on and that training should continue until our military obligation has passed.
    After that you can hangup our guns and be a passive fly caster if you want.
    Here is the reason I believe this.
    Without the training the tool (gun) can be and is a danger to the handler and to anyone down range.
    It is nice to live in a country that has the right to keep and bare arms but I have seen what a firearm in the hands of the untrained can do. Not pretty!
    Just my .02

3. Trent

Trent Ugly member

I don't drink, but I'll take a cranberry juice with lime:D

4. steelydan

steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

There, fixed it for ya!
    If necessary, and I'm afraid it is, I will spell out in my original post, where I SPECIFICALLY DON'T CARRY CONCEALED UNLESS MOUTHY, INSECURE 'EXPERTS' ARE LIKELY TO BE FOUND.

5. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I don't believe I've ever carried a firearm while fishing. I can understand carrying a firearm in Alaska as a protection against Brown Bears but why when fishing here in the lower 48?

I was raised on a farm in very rural Eastern Oregon. I learned to shoot when I was six or seven years of age. I served my country in the military and qualified expert on the M-14 and M-16. I have enjoyed bird hunting and deer hunting over the years. So I am not anti-firearms, but why would you carry a firearm while fishing just doesn't make sense to me.

Keith

6. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I carry my gun in my teeth just because it looks so effing butch. I keep my flash light in my gun hand so if I see my shadow, I can poke a hole in that SOB too!

I'm not a tough guy like in the posts above, but like my father in WWII, I spent 3 years in the marines, 13 months in Viet Nam (68-69, two Tet Offensives) 6 months as an MP, and have fired about every type of weapon you've seen in the movies, both on the range, and on the job.

When we got home we both stopped owning weapons designed to shoot people with. I'm not anti gun, just anti gun nut. It does not make me feel secure knowing that anyone with a credit card can be packing arms that they were never taught the discipline to operate when frightened.

7. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast la flama blanca

I carry concealed because it's nobody's fucking business what I have with me.

8. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I can relate to your statement.

Keith

9. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

I've been to Canada once.

10. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Coach - Those are some impressive credentials. You are clearly the biggest dick here. :) Kidding, I would love to spend an afternoon on your flats boat shooting the shit, fishing, and just maybe having a soda. Serious thankyou for your service.
    To JC, As I am, and every other service guy too. It's thanks to your sacrifice that we even have the choice to carry. Yes, the constitution recognized (not gave) that right, but it's a continuous struggle to keep it.

I've focused my 2 or 3 posts here on the responsibility issue. I don't give a rats ass if someone carries, as long as they know the laws, are reasonably proficient with their carry, and are sane. Irresponsible behavior will lead to tragedy (as Coach says, at both ends of the barrel) AND provide certain lawmakers cannon fodder. Not to be a paranoid gun nut, but you KNOW that Feinstein and company are in full huddle mode, laying the groundwork for "anti" something legislation. I'm guessing they'll trot something out in 6 months or so. All they need are a few incidents to point at to justify their argument. Part of our "responsibility" is to each other (and our heirs) to do our part to prevent this from happening.

I grew up here and have spent many days hiking and fishing in the Cascades and Olympics. Never once did I feel the need for a firearm. But, in recent years there have been a growing number of assaults on innocent people. Most certainly will remember the librarian murdered near Verlot a year or so back. I don't know if many poachers "pack heat" but I am certain of their lack of integrity and therefore would be wary in their presence. Fact is, it's not the same world I grew up in. I have never carried while fishing, and may never. But I may someday and I'm happy to have the choice.
    Pack if you want but please, be smart about it.

Cup - Well put. Most folks get weird if they know you're packing. Why bother.

11. Gatorator

Gatorator Member

At the risk of moving this away from people's resumes, a lot of people have them, I wonder how many people you see on the River or even on the Street are carrying a concealed firearm?

Isn't that one of the points? If anybody could have one than everybody has one to a perp.

But seriously, never mind, this has gone past serious. :rofl:

Reminds me of another story. About 20 years ago a Bank in Gig Harbor was robbed. On a follow up interview an FBI Agent from Tacoma went back to interview a Teller. It was a hot day and he didn't want to wear his sidearm or his handcuff so he put both in his briefcase.

As he walked into the Bank he walked in on another holdup. He wasn't noticed by the perp and as he tried to figure out how to get his pistol out of his briefcase one of the Teller's did notice him and said, "Do something, you're and FBI Agent!"

It was downhill from there. The Bank robber got the money, about $20,000 if I remember, and the Agents briefcase and gun. He left the handcuffs, attached to the Agent's wrists.

The Perp was caught later that day at SeaTac, trying to Board a plane to San Francisco. It was a tip from a Furrier in Tacoma about a Gent who walked in and bought a full length Beaver Coat and paid in money that still had the Bank wrappers on it that did him in. I will leave it to you to figure out who and why anyone would interrupt their getaway to buy a full length Fur Coat.

The pistol was never recovered. The Perp claimed to have tossed it out of his car from the Narrows Bridge. He was carrying the Agents briefcase when arrested.

12. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

I have no military credentials. I only carry on one section of the Spokane. Why? Because there are folks down there who can't be trusted to mind their manners. Why don't I fish somewhere else? Why should I? I do avoid going there in the evenings, and I will never be walking out of there when the light is gone.

I conceal it so I don't scare the ladies walking their dogs.

I think I'm realistic in thinking that the opportunity to pull it when needed might not happen. But it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Didn't used to carry ever, then some friends got assaulted after pulling out their raft at a take out.

13. Randall Dee

Randall Dee Castaway

Home Page:
    Sounds like a pretty dangerous place............all those ladies walking their dogs.

14. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Originally Posted by Steely Dumb:

INSECURE BLOWHARD THAT MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE ACTUALLY HAVE PARTICIPATED IN THE AFOREMENTIONED AND SEMI PRO INTERNET BULLY THAT APPARENTLY HASN'T BOOKED A TRIP FOR IN A FEW DAYS, PROBABLY BECAUSE MY MOUTH HAS OVERRUN MY ABILITIES AND I PISS PEOPLE OFF WHO HAVE NEVER MET ME.
    THE OLDER I GET, THE BETTER I WAS!
    DID I MENTION MY COASTGUARD 25TON LICENSE?
    YOU BETTER BE IMPRESSED!

There, fixed it for ya!
    If necessary, and I'm afraid it is, I will spell out in my original post, where I SPECIFICALLY DON'T CARRY CONCEALED UNLESS MOUTHY, INSECURE 'EXPERTS' ARE LIKELY TO BE FOUND. UNFU..INGBELIEVABLE!!!!:rofl: Peter, has ANYBODY answered your question, or do you even remember what it was?

15. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I beg to differ, it's a serious enough topic.
    Some have answered Peter's question directly.
    As important, the conversation has meandered along the way. That's not a terrible thing. Imagine we're sitting around a campfire, or in your living room, you know, conversing. Someone asks a question and after a few minutes, the conversation evolves. Same thing here. I'd hope to curb the mean spirited FYs but all in all, there have been some serious opinions offered. Some food for thought. A different view.
    Of course, most of you are BLIND, but that's OK.

Funny story BTW. Hadn't heard it before.