NFR: No Solution, just dead kids...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Go Fish, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Jerry it would be a shame to shut down the thread, far as I can tell this is the main and most important and least fun office/christmas/party and other discussion I've heard in the last few days. Sure it needs a political solution but the matters at hand concern domestic terrorism and mental illness. Terrorists don't play by the rules, nor do the mentally ill. These matters are of domestic security and national health. These matters are of vital importance as parents, friends and colleagues to think about, to be aware of and to prepare for in order to prevent this crap happening again. The status quo should disturb everyone, it should make everyone uncomfortable. Some of that disturbance may come out political, as ideas that seem contradictory, some of the tempers are heated, but by and large most of the posts here seem civil and concerned, with far more common ground than division. A lot of us grieve those kids and those teachers in the only way we constructively can, thinking and talking- defining the problem, learning from it and working on proposals to fix it. It would be a shame to shut it down.

2. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

This is well-said Dave. But it just seems hard to construct restrictions that apply only to the people who shouldn't own guns. There are so many guns in circulation. And while the issue certainly includes guns due to their efficient ability to kill large numbers of people, issues like mental illness and more are also wrapped into it. It's complicated. I hope we can solve it thoughtfully.

3. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

well im back, last one had to vent....NBC has a movie on right now about a man whos daughter was killed in a school shooting, (liberty stands) so he takes an arms dealers wife hostage to promote his gun control stance. he threatens to kill a small boy, shoots a cop, kills the son of an NRA lawyer, forces the women to undress in public, and has her chained to a bomb in a public park, to force her husband to cancel an arms order, and oh by the way, he's using an AR15 platform, who woulda guessed....and the movie is only half way thru.......this is no accident, its NBC's statement. so this is how antigun morons think??? i guess, the end justifies the means....i mean really......wtf!!!!!

4. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

One close to home not naming names in Skagit county but starts with Z and ends ra, a mental patient the courts seemed fit for a leave and leave he did six dead, thank god they finally sent him to prison, they were worried about the other people at the other institution.

5. dfl

dfl Active Member

Jerry, how bout a NFR section like fly tying et.al.

6. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

We have armed men making sure nobody robs a bank.How about the same concern for our kids.

7. generic

generic Active Member

Really? What are they suppose to say? And why are "we" asking them anything? That's like going to Verizon, Apple, AT&T, etc. and asking them to comment on all the people killed in car accidents from folks talking or texting on their cell phones while driving.

fifafu likes this.
  8. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I just saw the police report from CT. The entire shooting took place in just 2 minutes, from 9:36-9:38 AM that morning. 26 people murdered in 2 minutes. Anyone doubt that the death toll would have been lower had the weapon been a knife, bomb, or anything other than a semi-auto assault rifle?

That same day in China, a man attacked an elementary school class with a knife, injuring 20 but killing none. I'll bet there would have been many deaths if that attacker had a Bushmaster like the guy in CT.

I have an academic question: How did we as a nation arrive at the collective wisdom that it's a good idea to make semi-auto assault weapons, high-capacity magazines, and ammo designed to explode inside bodies broadly available? Again, this is an academic question because the genie is out of the bottle on this score, and I'm pretty sure we'll need to live with the situation as-is. I just want to know how we got to this point. What was the rationale?

Jim Wallace likes this.
  9. wa_desert_rat

wa_desert_rat Active Member

Home Page:
  10. fifafu

fifafu Guest

Let's keep the facts straight. He didn't own any guns or use an assault rifle.

11. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Craig, the article made my point and confirms my experience with the problem we have in this country with the mentally ill. They can ban the sale of assault rifles and after this, probably will, but the root cause will remain.

As far as the guns go, I'm a gun owner and always will be. However, I have no desire to own a military style assault rifle and can't imagine I'd ever need one for home protection. Problem is, there are now so many of the weapons available in our society, I'm not sure how you can keep them out of the hands of criminals and the insane even if they are no longer legally sold.

So, I'm back to making sure there are funds available for law enforcement and the mental health profession available so keep some folks off the streets. It doesn't matter if an insane shooter kills one or twenty, the fact that they are out on the streets and can kill anyone must be corrected.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  12. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Roper -- you obliterated the target center. One minor, very recent detail you failed to mention however, which is particulaly close to home, is the hypocrisy of WA state's general funds being used for anti-smoking ads, but now finding it perfectly fine to leaglize maryjane...perhaps wadingboot has a graph that can rationalize this as well :)

13. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Way off the mark on this one Jerry. I know a couple of co-workers who are self proclaimned, raging liberals, with whom I have gone target shooting. We even have heated political debate while firing live ammo and I never once felt threatened about them turning on me... wow, how lucky was that! As much as we disagree on just about everything else, these two will surely defend 2nd ammendment rights.

Besides, if we elimnate the political debate on guns, it will just be replaced with hatchery vs. native, the Ford vs. Chevy, or the Sage vs. Loomis... we can't help ourselves... we're mere mortal men (and women).

slider292 likes this.
  14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
  15. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

So much has changed over the last 40 years....Society has changed for the worse. To much lack of respect for others or authority.............We have become an amoral society.....It's time to become a moral society again, but my fear is we have moved past that option. We have way to many enablers now and very little accountability. Sad.

Mike T likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.