NFR: No Solution, just dead kids...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Go Fish, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

First & foremost, our thoughts & prayers should be focused on those affected by this tragedy. I’ve been offering my prayers since it occurred & will continue to do so.

That being said, guns aren’t at fault, the NRA . . . the Second Amendment Foundation . . . the Right to Keep & Bear Arms Association . . . or any other gun group isn’t responsible. The perpetrator was responsible. Nor do any of these organizations owe anyone an apology, other than thoughts & prayers offered as individuals. What these orgs are responsible for, like them or not, is that of playing a huge role in ensuring that legitimate firearm owners can still own firearms. You may not all be members, but all gun owners have reaped the benefits of their efforts.

I own lots of guns . . . some are AR platforms, an AK, an M-1, an M-1 Carbine, several 1911s, and a variety of semi-auto “other” arms, including what the media would describe as “high-powered, scoped ‘sniper’ rifles.” They all live in secure vaults. I use them for predator hunting, target shooting, 1,000-yard target shooting, other hunting, personal protection purposes, and collecting. Because you personally don’t own an AR, an AK, a “something else,” that doesn’t make these bad or candidates for sacrifice. I’m sure some political-agenda, anti-gun legislation will follow in the wake of this disaster, but I also hope that our “leaders” will finally focus on the real issues of mental health, school security, liberal judges, the glorification of violence in movies, on TV, in song lyrics, drugs, gangs, continuous promotion of tragic event newscasts for the sake of ratings, and the general moral & ethical decay prevalent in America. Not to mention the greater focus on “stars” and less on real role models.

It’s interesting that the first newscasts focused on exactly which guns were used, but of course we ARE in the age of liberal media with an agenda. Old guys . . . ask yourselves what has changed since we were kids in the ’50s & ‘60s . . . there were M-1s, M-1 Carbines, 1911s, Hi-Powers, Lugers, Brownings, Walthers, riot guns, and other “military” arms. The answer would be societal changes. There wasn’t a viral outbreak of mass shootings. I’ve yet to see one of these mass shootings precipitated by someone my age. Go figure.

Again, I feel bad that the focus of this thread has shifted from where it should be . . . thoughts, prayers, and consideration for the victims & their families, but I now feel compelled to defend my Second Amendment rights. If enough gun owners wish to compromise theirs (and mine), I know where that blame will reside. But since the focus has shifted & I now feel obligated to defend my right to own the gun/guns of my choosing against those who would seek to compromise those rights AS WELL AS the right to provide for the personal defense of myself & those I love against those who would intend harm . . . to quote Benjamin Franklin: "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." Throw my choice of firearm under the bus, and your preference will surely follow.

mtskibum16, Grayone and Skysoldier like this.
  2. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

But they did elect a female, atheist Prime Minister. I'm sure no one there knows what's right or wrong any more...

D

Jim Wallace likes this.
  3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Exactly. Us atheists are a scary lot, not to be trusted.

4. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Jim I don't know how old you are but Sep 6 1949 a 28 year old army vet gunned down 13 in Camden NJ. August 26, 1986 a 44 year old postal worker gunned down 14 in Edmond Oklahoma. August 1 1966 a 25 year old former Marine gunned down 16 at UT Austin. July 18, 1984 a 41 year old gunned down 21 in a Calfornia McDonalds. 1991 a 35 year old shot 23 at Lubys cafeteria in Texas.

The root causes of this problem have been around a lot longer than the "general ethical and moral decay prevalent in America."

Be the role model you complain about not having. Understand that freedom means freedom of the press, religion, to peacefully assemble (including in schools) and the right to petition the government to redress grievances. What constructive solutions do you propose for preventing domestic terrorists who are not playing by any rules?

These shooters aren't guys who give a shit about TV shows, or glory, or liberal judges, or liberal media. These are isolated and volatile psychopaths who live in a fringe world alien to the vast majority of us. These shooters are stuck with little social insight or empathy, period.

Jason Rolfe, Kent Lufkin, dfl and 4 others like this.
  5. ribka

ribka Active Member

168 killed in Oklahoma with diesel fuel and fertilizer . 8 times more than the CT school shootings.

Maybe a rational discussion to ban those items too

And If you purchase a firearm I sure hope you take firearms safety training class or a hunter safety training.

6. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

65 Boot. I'll also say that but for 1949, the balance were after the '60s & during the time this country started to experience significant change on many fronts. I wonder where the recent crop of perps got their ideas? And you are correct, such ilk are psychopaths, but unfortunately psychopaths unrestrained and uncontrolled. I have role models (or had as most have departed) and they were heads-above those famous types gracing the headlines today. I respect all of the rights ensured by our constitution; I also realize that without the Second Amendment to protect the others that these could well be in jeopardy. Unfortunately, if either of us had a cure-all solution, we'd be a tad short of the ability to implement it wouldn't we?

wadin' boot likes this.
  7. ribka

ribka Active Member

Except for "copy cat " killers which are fueled by our media who glorify them in the news cycle. You can pontificate or dabble in psycho analysis ( without training or a a degree ) all you like and proclaim it is mental health issue.

The simple truth is The shooters in AZ , Columbine, VA, CT and OR last week were seeking notoriety I.e. High body counts. Thank God the OR shooter was stopped by an armed citizen and his own incompetence.

Evan Burck likes this.
  8. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

9. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

10. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Of course I will. I take serious things seriously (and then some). Haven't you noticed that about me? ;)

jwg likes this.
  11. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    No. that might give you a heart attack, but a double bacon cheeseburger deluxe is a sure death warrant. On the other hand, I don't hunt any more, but I keep a 12 gage pump for taking out home burglars. I am vocal about this in my community. Nobody comes near my place.

12. Jim Wallace

Yes. The insane should be required to wear them. At all times.

wadin' boot likes this.
  13. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Better yet, pay them $10,000 each to voluntarily submit to sterilization surgery. That would be savings of a factor of ten or more over the long term.

14. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    No way...check out the list of suicides by country, Lithuania wins by a 1/4 mile. We are #38.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Behind some countries with kick-ass flyfishing and/or socialized medicine I might add....Damn Canadians and Australians are less likely to off themselves than Americans though....

15. Jim Wallace

Hell, once someone is diagnosed as "insane," require it! Don't pay 'em! The operation would probably cost us taxpayers at least that much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.