NFR Outback vs CRV vs RAV4

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by davew, Jul 21, 2013.

1. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

SUBARU!!!

I have a 2001 Legacy Wagon (not the Outback)...my fishin rig..........345,000 miles and still runnin' strong!!

2. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Right libadisos: Not all AWD systems are built alike. A few companies have true AWD systems where each wheel applies traction independently (Audi, Subaru). Others like Honda and Toyota actually employ a system, if my memory serves, that is front wheel drive running as one system, with a second system in the rear. But that rear system cannot do things like take over 100% of power from the drivetrain. It's sort of a secondary system. That's what I read once. Correct me if I am wrong someone.

3. martyg

martyg Active Member

Check out www.fuelly.com for real life gas mileage over a wide sample of vehicles. I was surprised at the great gas mileage that people were posting re their Outback. Fuelly lists and average of 24.5.

I have been in the same boat and am leaning towards the Subaru Crosstrek or CRV. Right now i drive a bulletproof 2000 4Runner. However in winter I get five trips up to the ski hill at Mt Baker and that hurts.

4. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

You guys don't know what an "UGY" vehicle looks like. I have an Element....now that's ugly! I'd buy another one if they still made them. Easy to clean out and can handle four 6 ft+ guys in waders with lots of leg room and AWD.

5. silvercreek

silvercreek Active Member

This man knows his vehicles.

I subscribe to Automobile, Car and Driver, and Motor Trend. Every review I have read places the Mazda CX-5 above all the rest of the vehicles in it's class including the new Escape and the new RAV4. The CRV although older that the Escape and RAV4 comes in second based on ride quality and handling.

You owe it to yourself to try the Mazda vs your other options. The vehicle will sell itself.

6. rymo

rymo Member

+1 on the Outback. I'm a huge fan of the wagon. I can fit just as much stuff in it as my wife's Q7 (not as many people), and it's really nice to have a lower roof when throwing things on top. Also nice to have a low center of gravity & less weight in the snow. My Outback far out handles any of the other cars I've owned (Tacoma's, 4Runner, Allroad, Q7) in the snow.

My '07 Outback XT (the turbo) only gets 22-24 on the freeway, but that's probably in-line with the other cars mentioned. Utility has it's costs :)

7. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Though I'm a fan of my new Outback, all this talk about the CX5 made me curious about one thing that many of these car-based crossovers lack: ground clearance. Most have ground clearance that's not much better than a car. The Outback, back when I evaluated options a year ago, stood out with plenty. But now I look at the CX5 and it has 8.5 inches, which is just a fraction lower than the Outback's 8.7 inches. That's excellent, assuming the rest of the vehicle is up to snuff for occasional rugged use.

8. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

We've owned two Subaru Outbacks over the past 15 years, but my last vehicle was a Kia Sorento. Has three rows of seats so seats seven. Or fold them all down and I can fit two inflated Outcast Fishcat Float tubes in the back plus a lot of gear. $10K less than the last Outback we bought, and I think it's better built than the Subaru. I was worried about the handling in the snow, but it seems to be on par with the Subaru. Intelligent all wheel drive, high clearance. Plus has every convenience and comfort - GPS, satellite radio, heated seats, fog lamps, etc. I can also sleep in it in a pinch. Just seemed like a lot more car for a lot less money.

On the down side, the gas mileage is not that great, but I have the 6-cylinder. The ride is sort of truck like. And my model lacks a roof rack. Over three years, haven't had any maintenance costs other than alignments, new tires, and oil changes.

9. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Lugan, I took a serious test drive in a CX-5-about 45 minutes of mountain roads with sharp short radius up and downhill turns, lots of cranking the wheel, heavy braking and accelerating. In a few minutes you forget you are in a station wagon and get a silly grin on your face about the handling. It has a superb 6 speed automatic that just seems to always be in the right gear. Unlike the appliance grade CVT's throttle response is immediate and there is no drawn out groan while the transmission catches up to the engine. I drove 2 Subaru's on the same day and concluded that CVT's would have to make massive improvements before I could ever be interested. But I was raised on Healey's, Jags and Porsche's and ill-handling cars are about as appealing to me as cheap beer and sit com's. Many people have never driven a good handling vehicle and could care less. That's fine, that just ain't me.

So handling and driver comfort mean a lot more to me than a couple of extra mpg. The CX-5 is a little noisy at freeway speed but the seats are darned good. The Impreza Sport or whatever it's called was one of the noisiest vehicles I have been in in years. At 70 you need hearing protection, the seats are skimpy and the transmission is simply inadequate. I like the concept of this vehicle but it is poorly executed. A thousand dollars worth of content in the right places and it would be a blast to drive.

Ive

10. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Just payed off my 2006 Colorado and received title, I'll keep it awhile

Attached Files:

• toy.jpg
      toy.jpg
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
  11. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I like the Outback's CVT and handling - on pavement and gravel. Paddle shifters are a nice fall-back when you need to punch it to pass, or finesse your way down a steep grade.

BTW, I'm coming off an Audi A4 wagon with stiffer/lower sport suspension that was a special order stick shift, which was a great handling vehicle on pavement. But I don't miss that. Maybe I'm just not a car connoisseur though.

12. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

I had a 2010 Outback, between the three that you looked at, and i considered the same exact three back then, its no contest, get the Outback (post 2010 anyways). i was very happy with mine, has great ground clearance and was very fun to drive, and crazy good on the snow, (i put schwab toyo's on it). I was able to put two deer and an elk in it, although not at the same time. almost 7 foot bed when the seats are layed in it, was very easy to sleep in as well. i miss it, and the lezbo jokes that came with it:) ....i needed a truck to tow a boat, so now im knocking down all those carbon credits i saved up.

13. Chris Bailey

Chris Bailey Member

I'm patiently waiting for the diesel CX-5 to hit the US. I might be waiting a while, though. I really like the looks of the CX-5 and I expect it to handle nicely on the road. We have a 5 wagon and it handles pretty nice for a minivan and for the price, although it is also a bit under-powered and noisy.

Something to consider with these cars is that, as SUVs, one should expect to get some utility out of them and be able to tow something. The tow capacities were a little surprising when I dug into it. The standard Outback has a 2700 pound capacity versus 1500 for the Forester, CRV, and RAV4. The Escape with the optional larger 2.0 ecoboost loses only 1mpg, but you get a pretty decent 3500 pound towing capacity, although surely not at the same time. I've read bad reviews of the Escape, regarding low reliability, but I just drove one a couple weeks ago and it seemed pretty nice. There just doesn't seem to be a perfect combination.

One more thing, I'm curious about the new X-mode doohickey on the Forester. Kind of like a pseudo-granny gear for off-road. I've seen videos, by Subaru, that make it seem effective but I would like to check it out. I would definitely be able to use that on tight, steep forest roads, especially with snow.

14. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Ryan Singh-Cundy likes this.
  15. Ryan Singh-Cundy

Ryan Singh-Cundy Member

I would kill for a small/ midsize diesel pickup

David Dalan likes this.