North Fork Stilly Condition

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Evan Virnoche, Jun 24, 2013.

1. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Google maps has it mislabeled thats probably why haha

EDIT: and as far as your shuttle goes, I'll gladly do it for a float anyday you want

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Boulder Creek has periodically been plagued by a blue clay slide some distance above its confluence with the NF Stilly. I think it was the 1980 Christmas flood when it sloughed off a large chunk that bled year around for a couple years or so, gradually improving. At its worst, it pretty much puts the entire river out downstream of it. Other years it's only bad after a major rain storm event. Since recent rainstorms don't meet the threshold of major, compared to winter floods, I'd guess that it's a slide event again. How big, and how long it will last would require hiking up and having a look at it. That really sucks considering how little good holding water is upstream of Boulder.

Sg

3. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

If I recall correctly the "slide" on Boulder Creek is located 6 to 8 miles upstream of the mouth of the creek in a wilderness area. Yes it is that blue clay lake deposits found through out the Stillaguamish basin. I agree that 1980 was significant event on Boulder Creek though it is my understanding the area had failed before that time. If a significant slide has occurred it may spew cloudy water the entire summer; if not so major it will likely clear as flows drop - at least that has been the pattern in the past.

BTW -
    Boulder is the first significant creek crossing the highway upstream of "Hazel". Does any else remember "Hazel" being a train stop and the river at that location being on the other side of the Valley from the highway?

Curt

4. Lee Chebert

Lee Chebert New Member

I was there Saturday ,everything below boulder is gray with not much clarity ,above Boulder gin clear. Fortson was perhaps holding one steelhead and what looked to be a chinook.

5. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast free bird

The whole river is shot for the summer.

Jamie Wilson likes this.

6. [​IMG]

7. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

The river was too crowded with folks from the ant hill so some old curmudgeon triggered a slide...

8. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

That's crazy. Cause Some tweakers on the upper sky just leaked some chemicals into the river and all the fish turned around and swam up the snoqualmie. Although there has no fish left the rock snot in the shallows will get you high. Not that I would know from experience.

HauntedByWaters likes this.
  9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Smalma,

Hazel is a testament to the wandering nature of aluvial freestone rivers! I used to park my truck on the north side of the RR tracks at Hazel in a spot that is now well north of the north bank of the river. I've hooked steelhead where the dry gravel bar currently resides.

I'm guessing that slide is closer to 8 miles than 6. I hiked up the Boulder Creek trail over 6 miles many years ago, past where the hiking/camping shelter is or was, and still hadn't come across it.

Sg

10. cuponoodle breakfast

I just looked at the boulder and it is puked. The NF below it looks like wet cement.

11. Thats no bueno hopefully it clearz up rather quickly

12. Preston

Preston Active Member

Salmo,
    The first steelhead I ever caught was a short distance below the Cicero bridge back in the day, when the bar was actually still on the southeast side of the river. I took two winter fish that day within minutes of each other and I'm still convinced they were both hanging behind the same rock.

13. ne news on clarity?

14. cuponoodle breakfast

My guess is that it'll be dirty for awhile. In addition to the slide, the boulder's gonna get snow melt in it during this warm stretch.

15. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Was out there yesterday below boulder. Weather was great, few bald eagles around. Clarity was still pretty bad. Couldn't see my boots at all while wading in 8-10" of water. I took some pics I'll try to upload from my phone. Sorry in advance about the quality

Attached Files: