Orvis 2013 Battenkill Fly Reel

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Porter, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Redington Drift is large-ish arbor and click-pawl at $99.

2. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

3. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

TC,

PT Barnum with the quote he is so famously known for was speaking of the "lemmings" so many trout seasons ago ...

The click and pawl 3-1/8" Young model 15A reel whose line guard is displayed in my avatar is going on 100 years old. It still works perfectly - along with a bunch of other vintage click pawls I still use almost exclusively.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  4. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Wow, guess I should throw away my venture 7 reels for my 6 wts. I bought used (one from this site) for $52 and $70 for speed trolling trophy rainbows to 10 pounds - they don't fight worth a shit. and that nautilus I bought used on this site for $150 was such a piece of crap for catching cranebows to 15 pounds I must be an Idiot for having disc drags on my trout reels. oops I forgot about my Orvis access 3 that came with free line making it cost around $80 but it has a disc drag - MAN after 40 years of fly fishing I'm still an idiot new guy! not wanting to have to stretch my lines all the fucking time so buying mid arbors and large arbors must be really stupid. And having a gold or silver reel is just a fucking crime.

Guess I will only use my s.a. system one 7/8 with three spools and get my other one back from my daughter.

Glad I don't have to buy into all the bullshit on this site! I'd go broke!

Of course it's a nice reel it's an Orvis!

5. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Mark,
    I didn't mean for my post to be personal, although it may have come across that way.
    We are all (myself included) so bombarded with turbo marketing telling us that we have to have the latest and greatest, or else we'll all go impotent or something - sometimes it's nice to just step back and take stock of what it is that works in its simplest form. And the really old stuff is just so cool and fun to fish with.
    I apologize if I offended anyone. But I do still believe that PT Barnum was on to something.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  6. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Well if you have to justify what you like by bashing every other product or what other people prefer go for it!

It started out as a nice review of a good product and ended up as the "better then thou crowd" preaching!

7. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Wow Mark and Greg, your pawls are awfully sharp and have become a drag on this thread. Please loosen your clickers a bit. ;)

triploidjunkie and Porter like this.
  8. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Mark, you can certainly buy and fish whatever reel you want.

But the key word in that statement is 'want' as opposed to 'need'. However poorly written, my earlier post was intended to draw attention to the difference between wants and needs. For instance:

Would you not have been able to land those trophy rainbows without a high-tech reel?

How did people manage to land big fish before disc drag reels were introduced?

When did having one become a necessity instead of a choice?

As Tim observes above, gear manufacturers have shrewdly crafted their marketing messages to appeal to our egos and have us believe that somehow if we only bought their products, we too could catch big fish like the ones pictured in their ads. Since nobody wants to catch only small fish, the opposite is a powerful persuader as well: We 'need' a high-tech, disc drag reel (or an ultra-fast action rod) if we don't want to be stuck the rest of our lives catching little fish.

Search out vintage Hardy Marquis Salmon or Hardy Perfect reels on eBay then get ready for the often-staggering prices they command. It's not that they're being bought by folks who put them in museum cases. They're highly sought-after by spey fishers who use them regularly and somehow manage to land even bigger fish than yours with those humble click-pawl reels - and not even a large-arbor ones at that!

For the last decade or so, if you didn't want a high-tech disc-drag reel, there were so few new reels with click-pawl drags that your best bet was to buy one used, hence the popularity of older reels. But that's slowly changing as more and more reel makers offer click-pawl models for those who don't want - or need - a disc-drag reel.

K

Greg Armstrong and Porter like this.
  9. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Mark
    It is unfortunate that you took some of these posts personally.

It is clear from your past posts that you put a lot of thought into your equipment and the fact that you have made the effort to buy good quality used reels (with or without disk drags) seems to indicate that you agree that full retail prices are ridiculous. Combined with the fact that you consistently and successfully target very large trout puts you solidly in the vast minority of consumers.

This is in no way an apology as I stand firmly behind my opinions but more a statement of what I believe to be the facts.

TC

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  10. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

And thus, the two great warring FF tribes of the PNW began...the Pawlites, and the Diskites, with various sub-tribe Arborites cringing in despair, and confusion....Tenkara skinny-water dappers (quietly praying they never hook a 30 incher) nobly rising above the fray.

11. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Very funny!!!

K

12. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    While the freespoolites look on in amazement.

13. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

So Kent, calling people that use these disc drag reels geeks and newbies fits right in with your better than thou attitude towards the masses. why? who the hell are you - that you should be the reel judge of fly fisherman. I caught hundreds of steel on click and pawls in the 70's , 80's and 90's on one handed rods no less. now I have a choice of bigger spools and better drags so why not?
    Your "want" and "need" words are for who? - the newbies - the geeks - because most everyone that posts on this site seem to know exactly what they are doing and know the difference between "want" and "need" - having nice gear after years of going cheap or inexpensive to you is only for the geeks and newbies, because that's how your post comes off.

So what are we teaching here to the new guy? your an idiot for buying a disc drag reel? yeah that's it make them feel inferior? why? to make yourself feel better because you like click and pawls? because "YOU" don't think anyone "needs" a disc drag. Or should ever "want" one. do you sell click and pawls?

So what companies do not sell click and pawls now? The new companies? because Orvis and hardy always have and always will hopefully.

Why not just say you like your click and pawl reels and it does a good job on fish. why all the geeks and newbies name calling? I really don't get it! please explain where these kinds of post help?

The reason so many fisherman "HATE" fly fisherman is for this exact reason - nose in the air - better then thou - bashing - attitudes. almost every good fisherman has a fly rod. at some time in there life someone bought them one or it was handed down from grandpa or dad or an old friend and so many never even try it because of the attitude of "a lot of fly fisherman" the man I am teaching now stated he would of never done it if it wasn't for me because of the attitudes fly fisherman have. another guy I'm trying to get to try fly fishing has a old rocky mountain fly rod and ree with line but wants nothing to do with it because - how he states it --- 'better then thou attitudes" I will be working on him around the fire here in a couple weeks at a great eastern lake and hope I can get him to "TURN" I almost had him last spring but the "big issue" was the stopper.

I - having been in the sport for so long feel I have a responsibility to pass it on and have taught friends and family since I was in my teens. writing to cut people down with name calling about the gear they choose to use gets no one anywhere! someone paying $800 for a click and pawl and putting it on a 12 to 14 foot sturgeon rod to fish for steehead doesn't fit my mold either - doesn't mean I'm going to start calling them names over the internet.

JUST THE OTHER DAY THE OWNER OF A FLY SHOP WAS TALKING TO THIS GUY, THE GUY TOLD HIM HE CAST PRETTY GOOD OUT TO 75 FEET, THE OWNER (FLY FISHING GURU) TOLD HIM HE WAS WRONG - THAT ALMOST ALL FLY FISHERMAN REALLY ONLY CAST 40 TO 50 FEET! AND ARE ALWAYS WRONG WITH THE DISTANCE THEY CAST BY AT LEAST 15 TO 20 FEET AND THINK THEY CAST FATHER BUT ARE WRONG!

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. then the guy told the shop guy he cast with a tape and is sure he can cast and fish that far! I had to chime in and said if you have a 100 foot tape you can cast as far as you say. I couldn't believe the disrespect this guy had for other fly fisherman. but hey, he owns a shop so he must be right!

Kent, I like a lot of your posts and you post a lot on this main forum, great writer. but I do reserve the right to call "BULLSHIT" weather anyone else likes it or not.

14. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

This disc-ussion just proves that all of your pins are off center.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  15. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

My Gawd !!! They are Trout not Tarpon !! The less ya spend on a reel the more you can spend on Beer !!! Wussies !!!!

triploidjunkie and Porter like this.