Picking a gear heads pocket

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by 9140greenie, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Most remarks are out of curiosity. The worst I got was on my home river where someone told me that flyfisherment were responsable for the reductions in seasons and fish numbers and why he couldn't fish like he used to. It was truly awful. I've had other run ins to but mostly with side drifters who shave a different perspective on where it's cool to fish. I learned to get over that. They aren't changing.

I've never had a problem with a flyfishermen so I am always amazed when bitch threads come up. Of course I rarely fish the Sky or OP. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Go Sox,
    cds

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I run in to more assholes from all fishing methods on the Sky than anywhere else. The sled jockeys being the worst offenders. When I fish the Sky, I typically have a spey rod and a baitcaster+spoon with me when I'm out. I've actually gotten attitude from more than a couple fly guys that noticed me packing along something as disgraceful as a spoon rod when I'm out fishing "proper" with a swung fly. Besides the lack of fish, the assholes on the Sky are the one thing that deter me from going there more than about anything else. And that river is just down the street from me.

3. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

D-bags are D-bags regardless of their choice of fishing method...I've run into both gear D-bags and fly D-bags out on various rivers. I'm pretty sure it's not because they're fishing a certain way.

The vast majority of people I run into out fishing are pretty damn cool regardless of if they're swinging flies, throwing jigs, throwing spinners, etc, etc, etc...

4. IHV2FSH

IHV2FSH Active Member

Agree. Most are really cool and I think strapping on a pair of waders doesn't change one's personality. If you are a pain in the ass outside of waders and always see the glass as half empty, you're probably a pain in the ass when inside them, regardless of what reel hangs on your rod. And I would guess that most of us who fly fish started gear fishing and I'd further guess we still do. I do. No plans to part with my G.Loomis GL3 and IMX steelhead rods!

5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    This isn't limited to fishing. In the surfing world, we have had narrow-minded shortboard punks hating longboarders, longboarders deriding shortboarders as "wiggly butt kooks," local hardcores vs the invading weekend horde, etc, etc.
    However, the best wave riders can (and often do) ride all kinds of equipment, and just laugh at the little narrowly focused A-holes.

ribka likes this.
  6. ribka

ribka Active Member

There is plenty to be learned throwing gear that can be translated into the fly world and same can be said of bringing fly tactics techniques into the gear world. I learned quite a bit about river fishing, drift current over 2 decades ago watching a buddy who fished spoons and jigs for steelhead and trout.

I often switch between gear and fly.

If I am fishing next to a gear guy I often pick their brain for techniques , colors, speed, size etc. Most have been very friendly. For me fishing isn't a competition.

Evan Burck likes this.
  7. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Shock of shocks....I tend to agree with Evan...on a busy river it doesn't seem to matter what your fishing you'll run into tools on both sides...

While I mainly fish up north...I've found like Jerry that when I am down here the gear guys are no problem...when I fish my little S river I always stop and talk to them...I've been told some great spots by these guys and probably get the biggest kick out of the real good ole boys as they have some of the best stories....They get to know you and your truck...no one messes with it or you!!!

Had more then my share of just strange fly guys though....Now also have met a handful of really good guys too...I just won't tell them anywhere I fish anymore as those pricks get out more then me and steal my fish LoL...Maybe I'm just to used to seeing a lot of good rods of all ages up there..but you see um, most of the time you stop for a chat..or a passing nod and "How'd it go" conversation...it's cool...down here though, damn been low holed, beeked at...walked by the first fly guy I ran into down here...said "hi" and he looked at me and walked by without saying a word....I had to double take at that one...I know I'm really handsome but don't be such haters!!!

Now flip the coin and the boat guys down here I have found seem to have no problem running your water...up north, they tend to give walk in guys that water, I was told on my first float ...."those guys walk in, that's all they got, don't fish their water"....sound advice which I wish was heeded down here more!!!

Lex likes this.